Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GameStop's Retro Game Vault

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Default GameStop's Retro Game Vault

The Retro Game Vault, where people will spend $430 in store at GameStop to earn a copy of Super Mario Bros. on NES that isn't even guaranteed to work:

http://www.poweruprewards.com/PUR/Index/RetroGameVault

And given how many are sold out, I think many already have.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw this in an e-mail the other day. I was curious to know if April Fool's Day had come way early. Some of those point totals are just obscene! I mean, I thought I saw the game 1942 going for 24,500 points. For 500 points more you can get a voucher for $25 off ANY game (new or used) in their store! Somehow a cart only 1942 is essentially worth $25?!

Silly Gamestop.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Theyre prob gettin the games of ebay, haha.... gamestop does realize a very small percent of people that shop there dont even own these consoles right? Esp. 2600s...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    Somehow a cart only 1942 is essentially worth $25?!
    I think it's monsterously worse. Let's do a little math:

According to Gamestop (via Power Rewards FAQ)....

• 10 points rewarded per dollar spent on NEW merchandise.
    • 20 points rewarded per dollar spent on USED merchandise.
    • 10% BONUS for first purchase of the day (So, best case: 22 points per dollar).

So, to reach 24,500 points:
    • @ 10 points per dollar spent on "NEW" products, or 24,500/ 10 = $2,450.00 in NEW merchandise is needed
    • @ 20 points per dollar spent on USED products, or 24,500/ 20 = $1,225.00 in USED merchandise is needed
    • @ 22 points per dollar spent solely on USED products during first purchase or 24,500/ 22 = $1,113.64 in USED merchandize in needed

Yeah, so best case scenario, you gonna have to spend over 1 grand for just one FREE loose copy of 1942 . And I know I'm leaving out trade-in bonuses and what not.....but really? Why not save yourself the trouble and just buy a copy off Ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Oh please let E.T. be worth around 50,000 points.
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like that you can get a Power Glove with a game but no sensors....thus rendering the Power Glove useless. Listen everybody, I'm starting my own incentive program! Read ahead for details!

For every $10 spent: Demo Disc with just a dusting of rape
    For every $20 spent: Vial filled with tears of a child from rural WI
    For every $30 spent: A subpar SNES or Genesis game, covered in both dirt and AIDS

Oh...members only, please.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    So, to reach 24,500 points:
    • @ 10 points per dollar spent on "NEW" products, or 24,500/ 10 = $2,450.00 in NEW merchandise is needed
    • @ 20 points per dollar spent on USED products, or 24,500/ 20 = $1,225.00 in USED merchandise is needed
    • @ 22 points per dollar spent solely on USED products during first purchase or 24,500/ 22 = $1,113.64 in USED merchandize in needed

Yeah, so best case scenario, you gonna have to spend over 1 grand for just one FREE loose copy of 1942 . And I know I'm leaving out trade-in bonuses and what not.....but really? Why not save yourself the trouble and just buy a copy off Ebay.
    That's pretty standard for most rewards type programs, I have one where you can redeem points for DVDs but anything good(more than $20 worth) would require $4000+ to get the needed points. Just think of Air Miles, it's usually 1 point for every $20 you spend. You need thousands of points to get anything good. Most rewards programs are pretty worthless unless you'd already be spending money at those stores anyway, I don't tend to spend more just to get more points.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't forget to check out their Retro Game Box and Manual Vault as well!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While this does appear to be a poorly enacted program, and likely a ploy to sucker people out of their point -- I do like that Gamestop is at least paying attention to the older games.

Where are they getting the games? Has anyone seen a store accepting old games?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

God, I remember when they were selling SNES/N64 games for $0.99. Who would buy these when you can get 25% off of a new purchase so much easier? The thought of paying money for E.T. or Pac-Man on the 2600 is just stupidity. Spending money on a Power Glove without sensors is even worse.

The worst thing? Some people have bought some of these.

And no, I've never seen a store around here accepted pre-PS2 games in a while. I haven't seen N64/PS1 games there since 2006. They don't even take in PC games, and that selection is down to a tiny shelf near accessories. A year or two ago, I did see somebody try to trade-in a Dreamcast. They said they don't take it, and recommended they take it to a local store that does. Still plenty of GBA games left, though most of the good titles have been picked over because they haven't accepted them since early last year.
    Last edited by Tupin; 02-02-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Don't forget to check out their Retro Game Box and Manual Vault as well!
    BAHAHAHA.... sorry... caught me by surprise... good one...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Insert Coin (Level 0) Junkyrdsalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Junkyrdsalesman

Wow GS has really stooped to new lows I always wondered why they don't just sell retro games in the first place, wouldn't they keep all the profit?

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

The thing about reward points is that really if you're going to spend the money anyways on a game then what's the problem with getting some menial extra points to blow on junk they sell?
    Honestly sure its overpriced but they're still somewhat more interesting than most of the crap they have in the reward catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Where are they getting the games? Has anyone seen a store accepting old games?
    I'm guessing most of these are left overs that didn't sell from their final Nes/Snes sales before they stopped selling them in stores. Thats probably why a few are already sold out, because they didn't have many to start with. It's also one of the worse deals ever since I can literally go into Goodwill and find the same games for $3 each or even less than that. But honestly Gamestop doesn't have that many good deals for their Power Up program. I'm still sitting with around 4,000 points that might never get spent.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    The thing about reward points is that really if you're going to spend the money anyways on a game then what's the problem with getting some menial extra points to blow on junk they sell?
    Honestly sure its overpriced but they're still somewhat more interesting than most of the crap they have in the reward catalog.
    If you spend points on these games, then you are an idiot and deserve to have your games and system taken from you, then suffer as you're severely beaten about the head and neck with the console, whipped with the plug end of the controller cords, and pelted from a distance with the games.

At no point in time is this a good idea, unless the games are a couple thousand points apiece.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

What the Hell is going on in the world?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

GameStop's "Retro Game Vault" AKA "We at GameStop honestly couldn't think of any better way to squander any goodwill we might have had left with any member of the gaming public."
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    GameStop's "Retro Game Vault" AKA "We at GameStop honestly couldn't think of any better way to squander any goodwill we might have had left with any member of the gaming public."
    The whole "Recycled Games" thing in Canada certainly doesn't help, either.

FUCK 'EM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

That retro reward program is such a ripoff in terms of value and their current selections

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    If you spend points on these games, then you are an idiot and deserve to have your games and system taken from you, then suffer as you're severely beaten about the head and neck with the console, whipped with the plug end of the controller cords, and pelted from a distance with the games.

At no point in time is this a good idea, unless the games are a couple thousand points apiece.
    I dont intend to. All I"m saying is that the points are altogether so useless already that it really isn't that big of a deal. It's not really any different than the tons of smaller game stores that sell copies of Contra for 40.00 is it?

My real point is that arguing that you have to spend whatever amount to get the points necessary to get a "free" retro game from the vault what's the big deal? You got the games you wanted from the store, got points and now instead of blowing them on a stupid hat, you can save them and get an overpriced copy of 1942. Most people outside of us will think its an okay deal, granted its a rip but no bigger of one than one would get at numerous other retro themed retail stores I've been to.

Unless you're spending money at the store to get points it really is just a promo gimmck and if you buy stuff you don't care about just to get points ANYWHERE you're an idiot.

The only rewards programs I care about are Best Buy's and my credit cards.
    1. because I'm already going to buy stuff there and the certificats do build over time and 2. I'm going to use my credit card anyways so the points that turn into cash are just a bonus for something I'm already doing.

GameStop does ridiculous things and this is ridiculous but I've got almost 15000 points and I still don't want anyting I qualify for. Truth be told though I'd personally rather save them and get a coupon for store credit.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.