Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

And wow... A justified 'Fuck Gamestop' Thread.
    Somebody sticky this.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    I dont intend to. All I"m saying is that the points are altogether so useless already that it really isn't that big of a deal. It's not really any different than the tons of smaller game stores that sell copies of Contra for 40.00 is it?

My real point is that arguing that you have to spend whatever amount to get the points necessary to get a "free" retro game from the vault what's the big deal? You got the games you wanted from the store, got points and now instead of blowing them on a stupid hat, you can save them and get an overpriced copy of 1942. Most people outside of us will think its an okay deal, granted its a rip but no bigger of one than one would get at numerous other retro themed retail stores I've been to.

Unless you're spending money at the store to get points it really is just a promo gimmck and if you buy stuff you don't care about just to get points ANYWHERE you're an idiot.

The only rewards programs I care about are Best Buy's and my credit cards.
    1. because I'm already going to buy stuff there and the certificats do build over time and 2. I'm going to use my credit card anyways so the points that turn into cash are just a bonus for something I'm already doing.

GameStop does ridiculous things and this is ridiculous but I've got almost 15000 points and I still don't want anyting I qualify for. Truth be told though I'd personally rather save them and get a coupon for store credit.
    But the thing is, you're getting points trhough BBY to spend in the store on their regularly-priced goods. You're not getting some stupid trinket or grossly-overpriced game. GameStop does does give you that option, and outside of buying a reduced-cost Scribblenauts toy, that's all I've used mine for personally.

I'd like to think that most people would see how many points they'd need to get one of those and realize how much of a waste it really is. I'm sure that's not the case, but still.

I'd also like to think that anyone who's accumulating such a large number of points is pretty big into games and possibly does not have their head planted firmly up their ass. Again, wishful thinking, I know.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    I'd also like to think that anyone who's accumulating such a large number of points is pretty big into games and possibly does not have their head planted firmly up their ass. Again, wishful thinking, I know.
    Yeah but one can hope...Though I doubt that outside of the community as a whole there are very few regular shoppers at GS that even know someone who owns an NES
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    The only rewards programs I care about are Best Buy's and my credit cards.
    1. because I'm already going to buy stuff there and the certificates do build over time and 2. I'm going to use my credit card anyways so the points that turn into cash are just a bonus for something I'm already doing.

GameStop does ridiculous things and this is ridiculous but I've got almost 15000 points and I still don't want anything I qualify for. Truth be told though I'd personally rather save them and get a coupon for store credit.

I'm a member of Best Buy's Reward Zone but I wish it was more...I dunno, rewarding.

One thing about their program that irritates me to no end is how long it takes for points to show up/register. Their program takes weeks/months whereas the points from purchases under GS's program takes days at most. I'd probably shop at Best Buy more if I had a faster turnaround on my points/purchases. Additionally, I realize most of the items in their rewards catalog are utterly useless (a lot of it being promo/pre-order swag that was not given out or GS brand accessories), but it's nice that there's an alternative use for the points beyond certificates. I doubt I personally would ever use the points on anything other than certs but I can't say the same for everyone. There might be a Modern Warfare 3 or Batman Arkham Asylum fan out there that just HAS to have the wall print for 10K points, y'know?
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    I'd like to think that most people would see how many points they'd need to get one of those and realize how much of a waste it really is. I'm sure that's not the case, but still.
    I wouldn't say the points are worthless, except for those "trying to game" the system, then it's a harrowing investment with horrible returns. If I got the points....nice. If I don't, no skin off my back. It's just not something to be moderately hung up over, for or against. The only reason I'm in the Pro Rewards Program cause I frequently shop at my local GS shop alot (and the clerks are awesome) and they're the only place in town with a far more extensive (and cheaper) selection for niche collectors, like myself, compared to Best Buy, Walmart, and Target. Plus buying Record of Agarest War Zero Deluxe Edition "new" for $25 (after $25 off certificate) is.....nice but nothing to celebrate.
    Last edited by Press_Start; 02-03-2012 at 03:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I think I know who came up with this program ...

"And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm just not seeing the reason for this to be such an outrage. Is there some other more awesomer use for these points that you're being deprived of by this somehow?

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    I'm just not seeing the reason for this to be such an outrage. Is there some other more awesomer use for these points that you're being deprived of by this somehow?
    It's as if they're telling a mass audience that Mario is worth over $2k in merchandise purchases, or treating it as some rare find. That stuff just drives the market in the wrong direction and makes it difficult to acquire even the basics.

It's no different than Pawn Stars paying $200 for a broken Virtual Boy and convincing people it's worth that much.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Not necessarily awesomer merchandise, but comparing rewards that they do offer in similar point totals, they're giving those games a cash value of about $40-$60 each.

It's just pretty absurd/insulting to those of us who know the market value of those games.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

This is funny.

I can't really hate gamestop for this. No matter how much of a rippoff it is people are apparently buying into it which is exactly what any company should peruse. I would personally be more annoyed by the people buying into this rather then looking into the true value of something then the company taking advantage of their ignorance. Then again I'm not because its just hysterical both that people are buying into this and how upset its making some users here.

I think I have about 22k points built up now and nothing that they promote peaks my interest outside of "X off whatever" coupons so yeah I can totally see why someone would blow unused "credit" on some nostalgic memories.
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 02-03-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I think I know who came up with this program ...

I saw that episode. I laughed my ass off.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I was once stupid enough to not give GameStop $9 for a Stadium Events cart.
    I wonder how much that would run me under this program?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

I just don't understand to whom this appeals. They're not offering consoles as part of the reward program. So someone either has a console already, and presumably some of these very common games; or someone has to go to eBay or somewhere to buy a console, where he or she will see how inexpensive these games are anyways.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Don't forget to check out their Retro Game Box and Manual Vault as well!
    This is absolutely hilarious!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I agree....What a rip off..

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

If you're spending the amount of money required to accumulate these points at GS, then you'd be better served by exchanging those points for in-store coupons to save money on the stuff you're going to be coming back to purchase.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

DIBS ON THE POWER GLOVE W/NO SENSORS!