Thread: is it hard to pay $49.99 for a game after paying $5 for stuf

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default is it hard to pay $49.99 for a game after paying $5 for stuf

I've only been "Retro Gaming" for a few months now, but I have gotten to really enjoy paying 5 to 9 bucks for video games. I have gotten quite a few under 5 bucks as well. The thing is, since I started "Retro Gaming", I haven't bought a new game. It's going to be hard for me to go out and buy a new game for $49.99 when I can buy 6 to 10 Retro games for the same price.

The next game that I was planning on getting is ESPN NFL Football 2004 for the XBOX. This is the newly named sequel to NFL2K3. When it comes to football video games, that is my first love. I'm a total and complete football nut, and I'm also a total video game nut. So you put both together and it's a letal combination. I've been in all kinds of leagues and tournaments over the years for various football games, and each year I feel like I always have to have the best football game that's available, and I have to get it the second it's available.

So in early September when ESPN NFL Football 2004 comes out, I'm going to have to go buy it. Of course, when I'm handing the clerk my 54 bucks, I'm going to be thinking about how many classic games I could have gotten for 54 bucks. Or even an entire system that I still don't have, like a Sega CD system or 3DO.

Oh well, when it comes to the best football game of the year, I have to do it. I have no choice in the matter.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I feel the EXACT same way about my copy of Madden 2004 waiting for me for the PC. Give that hot little game into my waiting hands allready!

Like you, I have no choice in the matter.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a hard enough time spending $25 on a GBA game now. I wanted to get a couple to play on the plane ride to vegas and every time I go to the store I leave without any games. It's gonna be even worse when all of the games I want for Cube, PS2, and Xbox come out.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite is paying $49.99 for NFL 2K3 & seeing it at Toys R Us for $9.99 six months later.

It takes a helluva of a game to get $50 out of me anymore. I've been burned too many times by games that get their price slashed a couple of months after I buy them.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    My favorite is paying $49.99 for NFL 2K3 & seeing it at Toys R Us for $9.99 six months later.

It takes a helluva of a game to get $50 out of me anymore. I've been burned too many times by games that get their price slashed a couple of months after I buy them.

Yeah, I remember that. I bought it the day it came out for $49.99, and then I saw them at Toys R Us for $9.99. Of course, I was playing it for a solid 4 full months before it started having it's price reduced. I don't regret buying that game at full price, because with a Football game, you want to have it during the actual season. You don't want to wait for them to get cheap when the football season is already over.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm killing myself wanting to buy NCAA Football 2004, but I won't do it. I'm gonna have to find it used, or wait until it shows up for $19.99 early next year around bowl time.

Being a video game sports fan sucks because you know your $50 game will be worthless in a year.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

The opposite holds true as well. After selling a crapload of my stuff for Bemani imports, I find myself choosing quality over quantity every time I go to the store.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

I feel the same way. It's going to be hellish paying $50 for F-Zero and Soul Calibur 2.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's too hard. I don't do it, as a rule. Everything gets cheaper sooner or later. I'm actually considering buying Grand Theft Auto 3 one of these days, now that Gamestop is dealing it used for $18.

Well, when Steel Battalion: Line of Contact comes out, I suppose that my stern resolve will crumble. We all have our weaknesses!
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

I feel that way sometimes, but I did get Zelda: Windwaker on preorder and just picked up Animal Crossing new, but both of those had good reasons (zelda bonus disc and fresh animal crossing memory card)...

I am tempted to get some older Gamecube titles new for cheap if I can find them. My best find was Pikmin at a Kmart closing sale for $5!!

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes i know the feeling. i never buy new Gamecube games unless its a huge release(Metroid Prime, Zelda WW etc...) because id rather spend my $50 on 5-10 NES games than 1 game. i figure ill just pick up all the Gamecube stuff in a year or two for much cheaper and enjoy it the same.
    Live Longer, Drive a DeLorean

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really don't mind paying $50 for a new game if it is really worth it. See, I know of pretty much all of the older titles and what they are about (16-bit and under), so I know what I'm buying. But with the new stuff I really have to research now. I am very very far from being rich, so if $50 of my hard earned cash goes for a game it MUST be worth my money. This makes my collection quite small (I have 4 games total for the cube), but I don't really care. Alll four titles are games I really love to play, and to me are worth what I spent. All the other odd and end titles will come down the line when they are in discount bins for $5-$10 in a year

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you are lucky people, because you buy old stuff very cheap, here it doesn´t matter that, maybe you can find an stupid Asteroids for 2600 (only cart) for $ 20 :/ , and, the new stuff like Halo for XBOX costs about $ 150

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arqueologia_Digital
    I think you are lucky people, because you buy old stuff very cheap, here it doesn´t matter that, maybe you can find an stupid Asteroids for 2600 (only cart) for $ 20 :/ , and, the new stuff like Halo for XBOX costs about $ 150
    $150? Are you serious? Paypal me the money for the game and shipping, and I'll get it for you for half that price!!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

The only games that I would pay full price ($40-60) for are games from Ion Storm Austin (Thief III, DX2: Invisible War) or a big Nintendo release if it has something with it (i.e. - OoT pre-order bonus disc, which I did get). Blizzard sometimes gets my money, too - all the bonus materials in the collector's WC3 version were just too good for me to pass up (art book, soundtrack, lithos, etc.). Otherwise it's just not worth my money because the potential suck factor is so high. There is no other game company that knows enough about making good games to get my money with no questions asked like that - not even Konami and Capcom.

Getting the rest of the games is a fine art...GBA games it's not so bad because those are always in supply pretty much and they never go below $20. But PC games...those drop in price like a rock and they fly off the shelves. It truly is a matter of timing, getting the PC games you want at a price that's good.

I'm a sucker for anything that's $10. Anything more than $20 makes me take out the magnifying glass though.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Its all about timing and the randomness of it makes it great

I too, do not get many new games. I have to admit with a special version of a game or a rare game come around, you just have to bite the bullet and get it. Chances are you dont know when you are going to see it again
    You can take your chances and wait, but many a time I kick myself in the but for not picking a game up and finding out it was rare(sniff sniff Tactics Ogre) IT just matters on how you collect and how much you are going to play the game. For me personally, I only buy the rare and HTF games new, and gamble on everthing else. Eventually, everthing becomes old and discounted, it is the waiting that sucks!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist