Thread: Classic games need to be restored - Criterion Collection style

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Classic games need to be restored - Criterion Collection style

I love video games but hate going on a treasure hunt just to find an old console just to play a game for a few hours - because Goldeneye is awesome. At times I wish there was a way to convert old games onto new systems since emulators are a pain in the ass to set up.

Than I came across this article and the guy makes a point. Those art guys at the Criterion Collection should make old games like Goldeneye for the PS3 (because reloaded sucked balls). The author sounds like one of those "cultural types" he dose make a good point.

Check it out: http://bitmob.com/articles/criterion...-games:onfire:

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apart from you obviously self-promoting, and ignoring the fact that the piece is riddled with errors (finical for financial, resent for recent), the article also displays profound ignorance about video games.

First, asking the Criterion Collection to restore games that are still playable on modern systems (as all of the PS1 examples are, which can all be played on the PS2 and PS3), is nothing short of silly. Second, many retro games are, in fact, accessible to modern systems. GoldenEye itself was almost released for Xbox Live Arcade (although canceled, from what I remember, due to licensing issues, but surely the Criterion Collection would also have such issues!). Other games, especially early arcade games and many of Nintendo's NES and SNES games can be found in compilations or releases (albeit in the latter's case often sporting some cosmetic or minor gameplay changes). Moreover, Criterion Collection's mission isn't about restoring at all, it's about bringing together the best of all movies. While they've done great things for older films, why would they start with some late 90s early 2000s games that largely can still be played? Finally, as noticed with GoldenEye's problems and XBLA, any company wanting to release games on an updated format would need to overcome numerous licensing issues, chiefly because most companies still want to retain copyright in order to release the games at a later date.

The better course would be to track down and secure much of the late 80s and early 90s computer games that are in danger of being lost forever. There are tons of freeware games out there from the early days that are incredibly hard to track down, and impossible to play without having an emulator. Finding these games and saving those would be the best start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How do you restore something that doesn't need restoration? I'm not aware of something like the code for Combat or Super Mario Brothers having deteroriated over the years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is such a poorly written article. It's filled with inaccuracies and the author clearly doesn't have even a basic understanding of whats going on in the world relating to video games. This might be the worst article I've ever read.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I see it as another example of imposing the standards and practices of film onto video games as if they're analagous to each other. The rules aren't the same. What works for film doesn't necessarily work for video games and vice versa. Ultimately I think the healithest thing the gaming populace could do is stop using movies as the yardstick to measure gaming's strengths and failings.

Captain Caveman (and Son!) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    My XBOX is dead, not live.
    PSN
    PSN? PSchah!
    3DS Friend
    Friendless :(

Quote Originally Posted by Ignorant Article Author View Post
    For example; there is always high demand for games like Max Payne, the original Medal of Honor, and Metal Gear Solid with copies being sold on eBay from $30 - $100.
    I have all of the above for those prices. Paypal only please. Also, if you're having trouble tracking down an N64 to play Goldeneye on, I'll sell you a N64 with Goldeneye for $100 shipped. Hey, you won't have to search the wild!

Thanks for this article, I'll be wearing a smile all morning

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait a sec here, ALL classic video games are printed on magnetic film strip which is prone to severe deterioration if not stored properly? DEEEEEERRRRRRPPPPPPP I DIDINTZ NEW THERTS!!!!!!!!! BESTER CALL KRITYRION AND HAVE EM MAKE GAMES BESTED ALL 'ROUND NOW!!!!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I see it as another example of imposing the standards and practices of film onto video games as if they're analagous to each other. The rules aren't the same. What works for film doesn't necessarily work for video games and vice versa. Ultimately I think the healithest thing the gaming populace could do is stop using movies as the yardstick to measure gaming's strengths and failings.
    Like I said, guy looks like one of those arty-type douches who needs to stop acting like some wine chugging snoob. Video games are better than movies and clowns like him should stop using hollywood as a yardstick. Hipster like him should just blog about shitty music, wine and gay sex.

But it would be cool to have classic NES, Atari, and Sega games available on PSN.
    Last edited by donkeypunch360; 02-04-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donkeypunch360 View Post
    Like I said, guy looks like one of those arty-type douches who needs to stop acting like some wine chugging snoob. Video games are better than movies and clowns like him should stop using hollywood as a yardstick. Hipster like him should just blog about shitty music, wine and gay sex.

But it would be cool to have classic NES, Atari, and Sega games available on PSN.
    Early Sega games are coming to the PSN, and NES and SNES games are on the VC. As far as Atari games go, Atari released a compilation disk, although you're right that it's not as comprehensive. That's where ROMs come in.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Early Sega games are coming to the PSN, and NES and SNES games are on the VC. As far as Atari games go, Atari released a compilation disk, although you're right that it's not as comprehensive. That's where ROMs come in.
    that is awesome

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Aren't HD Remixes already like the Criterion Collection?
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    Nikademus1969

Quote Originally Posted by Porksta View Post
    Aren't HD Remixes already like the Criterion Collection?

I would think that collections like the old Namco Museums would qualify as well. Those even have "bonus content".