Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Gameboy games are the most fun to play on a SNES via Super Gameboy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

A few GBC games have SGB leftover junk. Meaning they cannot be normally seen on real hardware.

Pokemon Crystal is one. That in all language editions, kept Japan's border for Gold unused. Rather boring!
    Lum fan.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I used to like to have fun assigning colors to the 4 GB shades to try to make them look as best I could like NES games. You could save the palletes you created as passwords. I used to have a perfect one for Super Mario Land that made it look like an SMB game. It was only four colors, but everything just seemed to match up! I wrote it in the back of my SGB manual and still have it. Wish I was at home so I could post it!

Did anyone else ever mess with the pallettes?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Did anyone else ever mess with the pallettes?
    Definitely, I considered it essential to set up the palette before seriously sitting down to play a game. If playing alone, I'd always do my best to get the protagonist coloured correctly, or as accurately as possible, unless it seriously interfered with the visibility of everything else. For a second player, though, it's fun in a sinister way to muck things up with a deliberately awful palette or to draw all over the screen as a way to screw up the first player. The SGB was an activity unto itself, practically.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    A few GBC games have SGB leftover junk. Meaning they cannot be normally seen on real hardware.

Pokemon Crystal is one. That in all language editions, kept Japan's border for Gold unused. Rather boring!
    Know of any other games besides Telefang?

There are still quite a few Super Game Boy packet commands that are still unknown and I have just discovered what one of them is, a preliminary function that parses and transfers the next few lines of code as packets.

Tetris Attack and Mario's Picross have multiple borders, Tetris 2 (SGB version) and Space Invaders have secret borders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

No. I meant the original Pokemon Crystal.

While yes Telefang has also unused SGB borders, it does not require GBC hardware to run.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought the original Tetris for GB always looked great on Super Game Boy. The blocks are all different colors, and it almost seems like it was made with the SGB in mind (aside from the lack of borders).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    KingOfPain95

Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver. The borders give nice visuals when you play them on the big screen.

Does Pokemon Pinball work with the SGB btw?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It should be since the box says it's compatible with the original Game Boy (anything compatible with the GB should be compatible with the SGB).

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    It should be since the box says it's compatible with the original Game Boy (anything compatible with the GB should be compatible with the SGB).
    SGB isn't compatible with any GBC only game (identified by having a clear cartridge case), which Pokemon Pinball is (although it is an exception to that clear case rule, having a black one).

As I understand, having a rumble pack sticking out of the top of an SNES is bad for the system.

Also, for that list of enhanced games from the previous page, I highly recommend checking out Kirby's Dream Land 2 while it's hooked up to the SGB. It has a number of flavorful sound effects added for different areas of the game.
    Last edited by JSoup; 02-26-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    SGB isn't compatible with any GBC only game (identified by having a clear cartridge case), which Pokemon Pinball is (although it is an exception to that clear case rule, having a black one).

As I understand, having a rumble pack sticking out of the top of an SNES is bad for the system.
    The rumble pak is activated by a battery which can easily be taken out though.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    The rumble pak is activated by a battery which can easily be taken out though.
    Fair enough, but that doesn't keep the game from being GBC only. As I understand, most game that need or can otherwise use external batteries for this or that are not compatible with the SGB. Robopon: Sun Version for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Pokemon Pinball isn't GBC only. It has a legacy Game Boy mode just like many games released during the GBC era like Link's Awakening DX did. Should be in a black cartridge casing which indicates it has GB compatibility.

I've played NASCAR 2000 just fine on my Game Boy Player (The game sucks, but I've still played it once or twice). It's a GBC only release with the battery compartment for rumble support (I assume the shape is nearly identical to the game in question). I don't see any reason why it wouldn't fit fine in a Super Game Boy and if rumble concerns you, just don't put a battery in like has already been said.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Pokemon Pinball isn't GBC only. It has a legacy Game Boy mode just like many games released during the GBC era like Link's Awakening DX did. Should be in a black cartridge casing which indicates it has GB compatibility.

I've played NASCAR 2000 just fine on my Game Boy Player (The game sucks, but I've still played it once or twice). It's a GBC only release with the battery compartment for rumble support (I assume the shape is nearly identical to the game in question). I don't see any reason why it wouldn't fit fine in a Super Game Boy and if rumble concerns you, just don't put a battery in like has already been said.
    Double checking my facts, seems I was getting Pinball confused with a different game. My bad.

As for the rumble pack, I don't know that I ever tried it, but does the game automatically switch the thing off, regardless of the battery, when put in a Super Gameboy?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    There are some SGB games worth avoiding, of course. Of what I've played, the one with the weakest added features is The Lion King, which adds nothing I can see. If that thing is actually SGB enhanced, maybe it has enhanced sound or something, because it sure doesn't have either a border or custom palettes. Toy Story's pretty weak too, with only a border and no palettes, though it claims to have enhanced sound, but I can't really tell. Toy Story's not a very good game either, though -- I considered it the worst GB game I owned in the '90s. The Lion King only somewhat better -- it's got great music and good graphics, but frustrating and finnicky gameplay. Those two were the ones that convinced me to not buy licensed games anymore... For another one, Super Return of the Jedi is a fun game (much easier than the SNES title, but still fun), but it was disappointing that its SGB enhancement was solely a border -- like in Toy Story there's no colorization at all, just the default palette.
    I also found it odd that the Game Boy version of the Lion King had no enhanced features while another Virgin/Disney release on the GB,Aladdin(which came out around the same time I believe) DID have an enhanced color palette when played on the Super Game Boy.

Moving on,there were many Super Game Boy-enhanced GB games that I just could not play on the GBC as I felt they didn`t look right on the system..mostly due to the fact I was used to playing them on the SGB
    Mighty Morphin Power Rangers(both games)
    Mole Mania
    Contra:The Alien Wars
    Donkey Kong Land(all of them)
    Those were some that spring to my mind
    Last edited by Spidey80; 02-28-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For rumble games -- yeah, most of them are GBC only titles, not compatible with the SGB. Pokemon Pinball is one of the few exceptions, a dual-mode rumble title, but don't worry about having to remove the battery -- the game's SGB compatible and automatically disables rumble when plugged into the SGB. It's got borders too.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey80
    I also found it odd that the Game Boy version of the Lion King had no enhanced features while another Virgin/Disney release on the GB,Aladdin(which came out around the same time I believe) DID have an enhanced color palette when played on the Super Game Boy.

Moving on,there were many Super Game Boy-enhanced GB games that I just could not play on the GBC as I felt they didn`t look right on the system..mostly due to the fact I was used to playing them on the SGB
    Mighty Morphin Power Rangers(both games)
    Mole Mania
    Contra:The Alien Wars
    Donkey Kong Land(all of them)
    Those were some that spring to my mind
    Yeah, games which have nice borders and colorization definitely are a lot more fun on the SGB. I'd particularly note stuff like Kirby 2, Block Ball, or Star Stacker, Wario Land 2, etc, but Mole Mania and the DKL games are pretty nice on SGB too, certainly, yeah.