Thread: I just bought an AV Famicom and I have a few questions.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I just bought an AV Famicom and I have a few questions.

Cheers to the guy whose title I ripped off wholesale

So I was going back and forth between a couple of AV Famicoms on eBay - one was $30 more and the only difference was it had an extra dogbone controller and an extension port cover that the one I bought didn't have. Well, it also had a bunch of games I didn't want. The system I bought had Super Mario Bros and Donkey Kong, so that's a good start to add to the one other game I have (Devil World).

So, two questions:

1) Does anyone know where I can find an extension port cover? Does any member here have extras in good cosmetic shape (newish, hopefully - would like to match the quality of the system I bought)? One of the guys (the only guy?) who runs atariusa.com claimed to have them for sale at Famicom World in June of last year, but I'm not too excited about not being able to pay with Paypal.)

2) With the use of cartridge adapters to play NES games, are there any games that *won't* function properly here (also I didn't purchase the $10 adapter from Stoneage as I'm aware you have to fenagle it to play nicely with AV Famis.)

3) I've heard the evidence and I have to say I prefer the music of Castlevania III US over that of the JP equivalent - it just sounds more NES-y to me. Don't shoot me! Having said that, what other Famicom games have custom audio chips?
    Last edited by nusilver; 02-03-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Wow, lucky! I've been looking out for one of those, but shipping from Japan is expensive and no American would ever sell one once they played it.

By extension port cover, do you mean the DB-15 Famicom port? I would just get a good Famicom joystick and use it. If you really want it, maybe the original Famicom, which is cheaper, has one that will work?

I wouldn't know about the pin converters, does the Stone Age Gamer one have problems? I don't think there would be problems.

Lagrange Point is one of the most amazing sounding Famicom games. But it is an RPG completely in Japanese...

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

try Famicom World, theres a few members there that can help you. Specifically theres a member, Xious, who restores systems,repairs, etc.....he probably has an extra port cover and can answer just about any hardware questions (and what he cant, someone else can)....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    try Famicom World, theres a few members there that can help you. Specifically theres a member, Xious, who restores systems,repairs, etc.....he probably has an extra port cover and can answer just about any hardware questions (and what he cant, someone else can)....
    Cool. Yes, Xious was the member who I saw claimed to have some of these. I'll get in touch with him (in fact, I already have via email.) Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Damn..I missed a good deal

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Damn..I missed a good deal
    You did? I didn't say how much I paid for the Famicom, only that the one I didn't buy was $30 more.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't had much luck getting a good deal on an AV Famicom either. I'll probably be going through loopholes and workarounds to get my standard model to view on my HDTV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post

2) With the use of cartridge adapters to play NES games, are there any games that *won't* function properly here (also I didn't purchase the $10 adapter from Stoneage as I'm aware you have to fenagle it to play nicely with AV Famis.)
    None software-wise. AV Fami is compatible with all NES games. A minor fixable hardware difference is its controller ports don't wire up the extra connections used by NES accessories never released in Japan (like Zapper) that already had existing Japanese equivalents.

However, many cartridge adapters are built incorrect. It's difficult to find one supporting Castlevania III and a handful of other special titles.
    Last edited by theclaw; 02-05-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    Lum fan.

Game Tape Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jack Crow 2004
    PSN
    JackCrow2004

You can find a list of games with sound expansion on Famicomworld: http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/in...p?topic=3764.0

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duke.Togo View Post
    You can find a list of games with sound expansion on Famicomworld: http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/in...p?topic=3764.0
    Awesome. Thanks! Reminds me how much I want a legit copy of Gimmick. I guess I should just bite the bullet and grab a repro, along with the pie factory version of Donkey Kong, from RetroZone.

*UPDATE* and....done.
    Last edited by nusilver; 02-05-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I'm a famicom av owner as well so congrats nusilver as for what you asked.

Expansion port cover:Famicom World or yahoo japan i guess.

Converters:dunno about the ones stoneagegamersells i got mine years ago,from videogamecentral and it works fine playing nes games on it.

U.S CV3 with converter:Uhh reason you want to i think the (jpn CV3) 'has the better music thanks to it's VCR6 chip but hey that's just me.

Also keep in mind while most nes controllers work on it not all will such the (nes zapper) without doing a mod to it.Still all ya realy need is the famicom zapper and you're set.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an AV Famicom and I got the adaptor Stoneagegamer.com sells. Don't get it, even with wiggling and stuff it's a pain to get to work I can only get it to work with Mega Man 6 and no other NES game I have. so save your 10 dollars don't get that adaptor. I'm pretty sure you can find a better one on Ebay if you look hard enough that will work with the AV Famicom No problem. But the only thing is it will be quite a bit more than 10 dollars.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    I have an AV Famicom and I got the adaptor Stoneagegamer.com sells. Don't get it, even with wiggling and stuff it's a pain to get to work I can only get it to work with Mega Man 6 and no other NES game I have. so save your 10 dollars don't get that adaptor. I'm pretty sure you can find a better one on Ebay if you look hard enough that will work with the AV Famicom No problem. But the only thing is it will be quite a bit more than 10 dollars.
    Thanks everyone! I picked up an adapter on eBay (about $29.99; the seller said it would work on an AV Famicom), a ton of games (including Holy Diver!), and a pair of Sansui SSS's over the past couple of days (along with an RCA extender dongle to hook up to the controllers for headphone sound...awesome). Now I just have to play the waiting game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Yeah typical of "pirate" manufacturing values. The pennies each they save by not bothering with Castlevania 3 / etc add up.

I guess I can't blame anyone. VERY slim margins at the lower end. Some Famicom bootlegs are made in bulk so cheaply they can be found for under $3 from China, shipping included... Sheesh.
    Last edited by theclaw; 02-06-2012 at 12:01 PM.
    Lum fan.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats NuSilver, welcome to the club. The AV Famicom really is the ultimate Nintendo system of that era unless you are into RGB (Stupid Videophiles).

1. Can't help you on the cover.

2. I've played over 150 Nes games on mine with converter and haven't had a problem. Not to say they all worked the first time as there will always be some play with the converter-to-cartridge tower erected on top of your system.

3. The only special chip game I own is CV3, I prefer the japanese version, but I ended up buying a couple of other games such as Baseball Stars, Tecmo Bowl, and a couple of others I can't remember. The only other game that I really wished i had bought back in the day is Contra as the visuals are really cool with a ton of new animations.

Enjoy and play it early and often. I still love playing Kirby with my Messiah Wireless arcade stick with my 3 year old daughter. She's getting pretty good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Nah. AV Famicom cart slot grips too tight. It's almost a deal breaker when combined with no eject button. Even Twin Famicom had that. I kind of regret switching...
    Lum fan.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

People are talking about WORKING 72-to-60 pin converters here that are compatible with AV Famicom. I'm very interested if one of you could kindly post a photo or document what model/part number it is you guys are using. We're aware there are cheap poorly designed converters that don't seem to work at all except with particular RF Famicoms. Apparently that $10 part from Stone Age is guilty of being a lousy one as well. If I can get a good converter that will play any NES cart I would be more than interested. I don't need so many bloody 8-bit Nintendo consoles lying around if I had this converter and just keep my 2 Famicoms...

I only have a handful of carts that never released on Famicom which is the only reason I'm still hanging onto NES consoles in the first place. (Low G Man, StarTropics, Spy Hunter, etc.) Even if a perfect converter costs around $50 it's still worth it because selling both the model 1 and 2 NES consoles I own would cover the converter's value instantly.

I just need to know what to look for so I don't end up buying the lousy junk that won't work at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Next to no mass produced adapters are built correct. Even the expensive type that works perfect on AV Famicom, still needs a mod for Castlevania 3.
    Here's information about what I own:

http://consolemods.freeforums.org/ne...iring-t27.html

Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Nah. AV Famicom cart slot grips too tight. It's almost a deal breaker when combined with no eject button. Even Twin Famicom had that. I kind of regret switching...
    I think your system needs breaking in, the one on my AV Fami is fairly loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Next to no mass produced adapters are built correct. Even the expensive type that works perfect on AV Famicom, still needs a mod for Castlevania 3.
    Here's information about what I own:

http://consolemods.freeforums.org/ne...iring-t27.html
    CV3 is not important at all. I have Akumajou Densetsu and will never go back. But it seems Rad Racer 2 is listed as a game that has problems and sadly there is no FC release of that. Hmm I'll have to go through all the info in that forum post you provided. I can't believe it's such a problem to map 72 to 60 pins when 60 to 72 is so simple.