Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Default PlayStation Vita Launch Bundle

I am not sure if this is a recent development or what but today I was going to pre-order my vita but I noticed Gamestop, Amazon, and Best Buy seems to have changed their listings. Now the 3G version in the "Launch Bundle" guise comes with a 8 gig memory card, AT&T Data Connect Pass, and a PSN game at still $300 bucks vs. the $250 for the bare bones wifi model.

If your interested in picking one up the 8 gig card alone is $30 and with the news that you won't have to sign up to any AT&T yearly contract but rather pay-as-you-go I don't really see a reason to go with the wifi model over this.

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Vi...8319950&sr=8-1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+Com...&skuId=2095647

http://www.gamestop.com/ps-vita/cons...productDetails
    Last edited by substantial_snake; 02-03-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Did you mean that you don't see any reason to go with the wifi version?

I like how Best Buy already has 3 reviews for the Vita.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Yeah sorry my mistake. (corrected)

I find this annoying as well, not just here but all sites that allow every random person to write a review or "Preview Buzz" for unreleased products. *coughgamestopcough* They should be really tied to the users account with said site only allowing you to review a product you personally purchased from through the site. Although on that same note I have seen some truly great Best Buy reviews on the Monster Cables so I guess its a give and take. lol

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's really not that great of a deal unless you prefer the 3G model which most people don't. The wi-fi model is $250, the 8 gig card is $30 and they are only giving you a $10 PSN download, so it's basically an extra $10 for 3G. Unless you are planning on using 3G and don't mind the fact that you have to sign up using a credit card for at least the first month to get the download, it might be better just to buy the Wi-Fi at $250 and get the smaller 4 Gig card at $20 and then spend that extra $30 on a game you really want.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Best Buy shouldn't allow people to post reviews before something comes out. They are "customer reviews," so they need to be written by people who own the thing. Actually, they should make people wait two weeks after an item is released before they write a review.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Isn't the 3G version also Wi-fi compatible though? It wouldn't make any sense for it not to be.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have no plans to utilize the 3G features of this thing so I still think the Wifi model is the better option for me. Especially since I think the 8 gig card is going to be far too cramped. Most of my PSP downloads (Ignoring the PSOne downloads I have that should be made compatible one of these days) would pretty much fill the thing up before I ever downloaded something actually made for the Vita.

Despite the steep price, my needs pretty much will necesitate acquiring the 32 gig memory card in order to have halfway ample room after putting my PSP downloads on to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Isn't the 3G version also Wi-fi compatible though? It wouldn't make any sense for it not to be.
    It also has Wifi support, of course.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-04-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I have no plans to utilize the 3G features of this thing so I still think the Wifi model is the better option for me. Especially since I think the 8 gig card is going to be far too cramped. Most of my PSP downloads (Ignoring the PSOne downloads I have that should be made compatible one of these days) would pretty much fill the thing up before I ever downloaded something actually made for the Vita.

Despite the steep price, my needs pretty much will necesitate acquiring the 32 gig memory card in order to have halfway ample room after putting my PSP downloads on to it.

It also has Wifi support, of course.
    Ah, then yeah, I might possibly go with the 3G model just so if I want to ever take it online when I am on a trip or something where Wifi isn't available I would have the option to turn it on just in case. For only $10 more that's a good backup function to have. Of course it will be a while before I even think of the Vita. First I need to get working again. Right now I'm so low on money I've got my Atari Jaguar CD up on ebay for best offer because I never play the thing and know it's worth as much as a USA Neo Geo AES. I just don't feel it has the redeeming exclusive sofware to make it worth keeping when the core Jaguar has enough good games.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post

Although I can understand this point I'm still think the 3G model is a better deal now. I was originally going to go a similar route that you were until I saw this, however I don't play all of my PS1 and PSP games at the same time. The 8 gig is what I'm currently using in my psp at the moment and it stores everything I played at the moment easily, I'm going to do now is swap games when I want something different through my PS3. Instead of picking up an overpriced memory card at launch, I'm going to wait until they drop down in price or another solution comes along while still getting the 3G enabled device if/when I ever use it, for its original $300 asking price.

Well anyways I ordered Uncharted Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, and Whipeout 2048 so I really can't wait for it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I just don't feel it has the redeeming exclusive sofware to make it worth keeping when the core Jaguar has enough good games.
    Off topic, but I agree. Just isn't worth it when the best game saw a cartridge release (Iron Soldier II). Battlemorph and an overpriced modern day port of Gorf just aren't worth bothering with one. Everything else is pure junk or has better versions available elsewhere (Such as Myst, Space Ace, and Dragon's Lair).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

On one hand, if you want the PS Vita to have any chance of surviving, then Sony really needs you to buy it at launch, but on the other hand, you know damn well that the price is coming down before Xmas if not sooner. The chances of the Wi-Fi version going for $199 and the 3G version going for $249 in the next 8 or 9 months is pretty good.

I'd love to see the Vita survive, but I'll be waiting on it. I know that I'm "part of the problem", rather than part of the solution, but I'm not really huge on portable gaming, and I'm not interested in spending that much coin. I'll have to sit on the sidelines and watch the rest of you guys enjoy the early adopter experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Well anyways I ordered Uncharted Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, and Whipeout 2048 so I really can't wait for it now.
    I bought a Vita from Japan with Uncharted, it's worth buying a Vita just for that game alone.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

I'm buying it for one game and one only.

Ys IV

I willget the game long before I get a Vita. When they have the PSV slim and the price is cut.
    Enjoying my PSP right now. Just must have Ys IV.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the First Edition Bundle preordered. I was hoping after your post here that it also was upgraded to 8GB, but alas it appears not.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    I have the First Edition Bundle preordered. I was hoping after your post here that it also was upgraded to 8GB, but alas it appears not.
    Cancel your first edition bundle and preorder the $299 3G bundle while you can still get it with the 8GB included?

I'm sticking with the wifi version. Almost everyone already owns a cell phone so if your phone has 4G, add the data plan that allows your phone to be a wireless hot spot. Right there 3G isn't required.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Wow..i cant wait to own one...I will be so one this on day one...love the look and feel of this handheld, and it has a awsome screen...love it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Cancel your first edition bundle and preorder the $299 3G bundle while you can still get it with the 8GB included?

I'm sticking with the wifi version. Almost everyone already owns a cell phone so if your phone has 4G, add the data plan that allows your phone to be a wireless hot spot. Right there 3G isn't required.
    I'd have to wait another week....no way..

I'm sure I will want more than one memory card. 4GB will likely last me awhile.

I am curious to see what the data plans will cost...