Thread: Paypal & Taxes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Paypal & Taxes

So I got a form today from paypal saying they reported that I made over $20,00 gross in the year.

My question is, what exactly do I have to do from here? Do I need to fill out a tax return form or something?

I'm totally clueless when it comes to this sort of thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SlowGolf2004
    PSN
    ownerizer
    Steam
    WDENNIS5280

My question is, how the HELL does Paypal know this, unless it's connected to your eBay account somehow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well all of my ebay sales are tied to my paypal account, so after a certain amount of sales ( $20,000) they report that to the IRS.

I've got a ridiculousness amount of expenses though so even if I have to report something I think I should be fine.

I really hate that ebay started taking fees from the entire cost of items because if they didn't take anything out of my shipping cost then I don't think I would have nearly as much of a "gross" reported since I was forced to make all my items free to ship or I wouldn't get a discount from paypal.

TLDR: What should I do and does anyone else here have experience with this?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by ownerizer View Post
    My question is, how the HELL does Paypal know this, unless it's connected to your eBay account somehow.
    paypal is owned by ebay and of course its connected...

I was just reading about this on AA... im just gonna take my company's taxes to a pro... I don't have time to deal with all that stuff... I suggest you do the same, unless we got some tax masters around...???
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    So I got a form today from paypal saying they reported that I made over $20,00 gross in the year.

My question is, what exactly do I have to do from here? Do I need to fill out a tax return form or something?

I'm totally clueless when it comes to this sort of thing.
    It's really not tough, you take whatever the gross amount is and you subtract the costs of selling (actual shipping, packaging materials, Paypal and Ebay commissions and the cost of the goods originally) and whatever is left you report on your individual income tax form as income. Be sure to have receipts for the shipping and packaging materials in case of an audit. You can print various reports on Ebay to show what commissions you paid last year. You then pay taxes at your individual rate on this income.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well all of my ebay sales are tied to my paypal account, so after a certain amount of sales ( $20,000) they report that to the IRS.
    Actually it works a little differently. They report you if you have received over $20,000 IN PAYMENTS. That means if you happen to sell something off of eBay for $100 it will be counted on the 1099K. This is why Paypal is reporting instead of eBay itself.

I have all my information on the online program called "outright" (which I highly suggest if you are self-employed and sell online like me), and that program has kept up with all my sales, and my expenditures for shipping and etc. You give them your Paypal and eBay account info and they import all the proper information automatically. You do need to manually put in other expenses like what you paid for things, and the amount you spent on gas if you are driving around specifically to find things.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok i just signed up for "outwrite". Hopefully this helps.

I really really appreciate the tip.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Any other ebay sellers would really help if they could chime in here and give some advice.
    Last edited by wingzrow; 02-07-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Actually it works a little differently. They report you if you have received over $20,000 IN PAYMENTS. That means if you happen to sell something off of eBay for $100 it will be counted on the 1099K. This is why Paypal is reporting instead of eBay itself.

I have all my information on the online program called "outright" (which I highly suggest if you are self-employed and sell online like me), and that program has kept up with all my sales, and my expenditures for shipping and etc. You give them your Paypal and eBay account info and they import all the proper information automatically. You do need to manually put in other expenses like what you paid for things, and the amount you spent on gas if you are driving around specifically to find things.
    Ok, i've entered everything into outwrite. What do I do from here? How do I actually report and do my taxes? I have the form paypal sent me, I have outwrite verifying what I made. now what?

I literally have no idea what to do from this point on.

I don't have any physical form to send out.

Is this the right form to print and fill out?

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf
    Last edited by wingzrow; 02-15-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, i've entered everything into outwrite. What do I do from here? How do I actually report and do my taxes? I have the form paypal sent me, I have outwrite verifying what I made. now what?

I literally have no idea what to do from this point on.

I don't have any physical form to send out.
    Okay. First of all you shouldn't be asking us this. I'm not a CPA and as far as I know there are no tax professionals around here. I told you about Outright, which will help you keep track of your profits and expenses, but it's your job to figure out what to do with those numbers. You should see an accountant, because it's not my job nor my responsibility (nor anyone else here's) to instruct you on how to do this.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 02-15-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yikes, sorry.

Guess i'll just do this on my own then.

Thanks for the help.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well he was telling the truth there are places online where you can ask questions for free to tax folks do some research, heck try the ebay forums as well I am sure there are folks there as well. But were not going to be responsible for any issues with things like that.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Jaruff

PayPal started reporting this year (I actually thought it started in 2013 but oh well) due to some federal law changes. At least that's what I remember.

As others have said, you're best off taking everything to a tax professional and letting them sort everything out. I keep receipts and store expenses/revenue in a spreadsheet. It's just a smart way to do things, tax issues or not.