Thread: Sega Genesis Model 1 refuses to read games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Genesis Model 1 refuses to read games

Hello all,

I recently picked up a Model 1 'High Definition Graphics' Sega Genesis at Goodwill. Everything was in working order, and running smoothly. However, after about a week and a half, the system refuses to boot any of my Genesis games. The only thing I see anymore is a black screen, with no sound output from the headphone jack. Whenever I turn the console on, I can see a pop on screen, and some faint lines in the background. I tried cleaning the cartridge port using the toothbrush method, the cartridge method and the credit card method to no avail. The games all work on my Model 2 Genesis console.

I'm beginning to think this problem is either an issue with the capacitors or the AC adapter, as the system literally stopped working overnight. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources available to solder, nor do I have a spare Model 1 AC Adapter. I read that Atari Jaguar AC adapters can power Model 1 consoles, but that also did not work.

I'd really hate to junk the console, as I've grown quite fond of it. Playing on the Model 2 simply isn't the same. Any and all help is appreciated.

Insert Coin (Level 0) SithWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SGT SITHWARRIOR
    PSN
    SITHWARRIOR-22

does the cartage slot feel lose when the games are in the model 1 compared to the model 2?

if so check this video out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJuKs...el_video_title

hopefully that may be the problem.
    Last edited by SithWarrior; 02-07-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    JACK of all trades, Master of none...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    raymondlyd
    PSN
    soniccd

you can replace the cart slot i have done a few or get a thin blade you use to cut carpet with and get all the hairs out of the slot works for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could be any number of things. Capacitors might need replacing, might need a new cartridge pin connector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SithWarrior View Post
    does the cartage slot feel lose when the games are in the model 1 compared to the model 2?

if so check this video out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJuKs...el_video_title

hopefully that may be the problem.
    I just tried this, and I got nothing. Still getting the same pop that I did before. The carts are held in much tighter now though.

Quote Originally Posted by raylydiard View Post
    you can replace the cart slot i have done a few or get a thin blade you use to cut carpet with and get all the hairs out of the slot works for me.
    It looks like the cart slot is soldered on. I don't have any soldering equipment, nor do I have any experience with soldering. So unless you can replace the cart slot without soldering, I'm afraid that is beyond what I can do.

I did clean the cart slot and got some hair and fuzz out of it with an index card folded over a credit card. That was actually the first thing I tried.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

With the slot being loose I have to wonder if the soldered connections were damaged due to movement.

In all honesty, you can buy a model 1 Genesis on eBay for less than $20. I would just buy another one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    In all honesty, you can buy a model 1 Genesis on eBay for less than $20. I would just buy another one.
    I'm thinking this is what I'll eventually be doing. I've already put about a third of what I paid for the system in repair supplies. From a cost breakdown, it isn't worth investing much more in this system.

I've been asking around, and I might have a lead on somebody who can assist with soldering. If I can get some assistance, what should I be looking for? I know the capacitors will have burn marks underneath them, but what are the telltale signs of a failed cartridge port?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Actually, capacitors can fail without any visual signs. When they fail they can burst and leak on the PCB. If you see any bulging or burst capacitors then they have failed. I've never seen a failed capacitor with burn marks near it. As for the cartridge slot, I'm not sure visually what you'd looks for beyond the broken contacts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was able to track someone down to help me with soldering. We're going to try replacing the capacitors, and if that fails, I'm giving up on this console. What capacitors should I be looking at replacing? The 7805s?

I also wanted to thank everyone for their help on trying to fix my Genesis. Appreciate it guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be honest, the consoles are so cheap (5-10) dollars that after all the trouble trying to recap it, swap out connectors and everything else is it worth it? They are a dime a dozen, I'd just chuck and it find another one locally, or keep it for parts. But I see no sense in putting 20 dollars worth of connectors and caps in a console that's worth 5-10 dollars.

Just my opinion. (unless you want to just tinker, then I can understand)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mytho View Post
    What capacitors should I be looking at replacing? The 7805s?
    The 7805s are voltage regulators, not capacitors. Capacitors are the little cylindrical components on the board, they have markings such as "10 uF 50V" or the like. Generally if you're going to replace caps you might as well replace them all, since the rest will fail eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    To be honest, the consoles are so cheap (5-10) dollars that after all the trouble trying to recap it, swap out connectors and everything else is it worth it? They are a dime a dozen, I'd just chuck and it find another one locally, or keep it for parts. But I see no sense in putting 20 dollars worth of connectors and caps in a console that's worth 5-10 dollars.

Just my opinion. (unless you want to just tinker, then I can understand)
    I can't find any cheap HDG Model 1 consoles in my area. Everyone charges an arm and a leg because it's old (provided I can even find a HDG console).

I'm also interested in learning to solder and tinker with it. Putting a few more dollars in the console, if simply just for educational value, isn't a complete waste.

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    The 7805s are voltage regulators, not capacitors. Capacitors are the little cylindrical components on the board, they have markings such as "10 uF 50V" or the like. Generally if you're going to replace caps you might as well replace them all, since the rest will fail eventually.
    Ah, ok. Didn't know that. Is there anything else we should be looking for while trying to repair the system?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It probably is either the voltage regulators or an IC failure. The power supplies are pretty reliable but they don't fail like that. When they break it is 1 of 3 ways:
    1: the connector wires break causing the system to turn off abruptly (more common on 2103s)
    2: the rivets break and the cover falls off. (Happened to as 1602 of mine, had to hit the circuit breaker.)
    3: the circuit board inside is surprisingly flammable and will turn to charcoal. (Happened to a 2103 of mine, could have burned down my house too.)