Thread: Doctor v64 Power supply problem

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Doctor v64 Power supply problem

hi guys. I hope someone can help me regarding my psu project for my V64. I have A standard S-video cable that i cut(the other end) and the power source but i don't know where to place and what color to place in the following power outputs.

Pls visit my retro gaming BLOG for my retro gaming collections and adventures. With photos !

http://8-bit-dreams.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

I wouldn't be using that device unless you have some way to reduce the amperage. I fear that alone would fry your v64.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    I wouldn't be using that device unless you have some way to reduce the amperage. I fear that alone would fry your v64.
    Devices draw the amperage that they need. There is no concern of having too much amperage available.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That S-Video cable does look a bit cheap, I would test the top pins with a volt meter to be sure that 12 volts is being sent to the TOP RIGHT pin on the connector and 5 volts to the TOP LEFT on the connector.

Both bottom pins will be grounds and should be the green and white wires, have no idea what that silver wire is for, maybe an extra ground I'm guessing.

Again test each pin to make sure which wire goes to which pin, you don't wanna send 12 volts down the 5 volt line.

And as FABombjoy said, the device will only draw the amperage it needs and 2 amps I believe is enough for the V64.
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post

That S-Video cable does look a bit cheap, I would test the top pins with a volt meter to be sure that 12 volts is being sent to the TOP RIGHT pin on the connector and 5 volts to the TOP LEFT on the connector.

Both bottom pins will be grounds and should be the green and white wires, have no idea what that silver wire is for, maybe an extra ground I'm guessing.

Again test each pin to make sure which wire goes to which pin, you don't wanna send 12 volts down the 5 volt line.

And as FABombjoy said, the device will only draw the amperage it needs and 2 amps I believe is enough for the V64.
    Very informative! Thank you so much sir. It then narrows down to that 2 upper pins but, I guess i really need to find a volt meter just so to be sure.
    Pls visit my retro gaming BLOG for my retro gaming collections and adventures. With photos !

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alec006 View Post

sorry sir, just to reiterate, so i have no problems with my power supply's amperage? thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to believe that the power supply in your photo is more than up to the challenge, although I would test it first since it appears that the +5v adjust knob has been pushed inside the case.
    Console5.com - Console parts, kits, games and more. [shop] [wiki] [RSS] [f] [t]

Pear (Level 6) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit-dreams View Post
    sorry sir, just to reiterate, so i have no problems with my power supply's amperage? thanks
    2 amps positive should be more than enough to power the V64, the replacement power supplies I looked up are all 2 amps. The 12 volt line will be hooked up to that +12v2.5A at the top of the power supply. The 5 volt line will be hooked up to the 5V 15A slot in the middle of the power supply, NOT the -5V1A which is the second slot of the power supply. That looks to be negative voltage and you want positive voltage.

Even thou the 5v positive line on your power supply is 15 amps, the V64 will only draw 2 amps or whats ever needed off that line. All DC power supplys work the same way, as long as you have at or above correct amperage, correct voltage and polarity you'll be set.

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I would have to believe that the power supply in your photo is more than up to the challenge, although I would test it first since it appears that the +5v adjust knob has been pushed inside the case.
    Yea, you're right FABombjoy, it looks like a multi voltage power supply so I would make sure that 5 volts positive is coming from the 5 volts line and 12 volts positive from the 12 volts line. I believe the way to check the polarity is to hook up the positive prong to either the +5v or +12v lines and then the negative prong to one of those grounds. If your multimeter reads a positive voltage then you're good to go on polarity and if the voltage is correct, you're good to go there as well
    "...leave love bleeding, in my hands, in my hands again..."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good day sir's , i managed to make it work! just spent some time and it all went okay. will post updates !