Thread: Does the SNES Game Genie delay a mili second of the press of a button?

Insert Coin (Level 0) bigbadbear9885's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Does the SNES Game Genie delay a mili second of the press of a button?

I'm not sure if I'm asking a stupid question, but I'm just making sure anyway. Does a Game Genie for Super Nintendo, or any other console that has a Game Genie (Sega Genesis, NES, Game Boy) do the same thing emulators do, delay a mil. second of a press of a button?
    I wonder this because of the image that the game is plugged into another PCB with some of its own software, which is plugged to the console itself.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Must be some sort of delay. It's the only way I can think of how Sunsoft was somehow able to detect it and make games crash if a Game Genie was inserted (even if you didn't enter any codes).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Must be some sort of delay. It's the only way I can think of how Sunsoft was somehow able to detect it and make games crash if a Game Genie was inserted (even if you didn't enter any codes).
    Well, what i'm actually asking is: When you play a game on the Game Genie, will it make it so every time you press a button on the controller, it will take half a minute more to execute than playing it with just the plain console hardware?

Emulators do it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There will be very very short delays in read times for data coming from the ROM on the cartridge, but input detection should all be done on the console itself. Either way it's not going to be anything you would perceive differently.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbear9885 View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm asking a stupid question, but I'm just making sure anyway. Does a Game Genie for Super Nintendo, or any other console that has a Game Genie (Sega Genesis, NES, Game Boy) do the same thing emulators do, delay a mil. second of a press of a button?
    I wonder this because of the image that the game is plugged into another PCB with some of its own software, which is plugged to the console itself.
    yes there is a lag with the snes genie but its hard to notice the lag is actually 1 300th of a milisecond i looked into it

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As Shulamana said, absolutely not. The data is changed as it comes off the ROM, not by any software. A delay of 1/300mS is ridiculous. A frame is only 15-20mS so even if it existed that delay would make no difference.

Detecting is easy, just check the RAM for the variables its menu uses. Which Sunsoft games check for GG?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JoshTheNESNerd View Post
    yes there is a lag with the snes genie but its hard to notice the lag is actually 1 300th of a milisecond i looked into it
    The thing i've been worried about is, I was gonna use one to play Super Famicom (Japanese Snes) games, and I just ordered the japanese version of Hagane, which is known as the number one hardest SNES game, so I feel that I'll be pressing buttons as fast as bullets nonstop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbear9885 View Post
    The thing i've been worried about is, I was gonna use one to play Super Famicom (Japanese Snes) games, and I just ordered the japanese version of Hagane, which is known as the number one hardest SNES game, so I feel that I'll be pressing buttons as fast as bullets nonstop.
    That won't work. Super Famicom games don't fit an un-modified Game Genie. Even then you'll likely be unable to play enhanced games. Most Game Genie versions lack the wider pin connections used by Super FX, Super Game Boy, Megaman X2/X3, Mario RPG...
    Lum fan.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    That won't work. Super Famicom games don't fit an un-modified Game Genie. Even then you'll likely be unable to play enhanced games. Most Game Genie versions lack the wider pin connections used by Super FX, Super Game Boy, Megaman X2/X3, Mario RPG...
    Possible compatibility issues aside, hacking out the plastic tabs on a Game Genie is a little easier than doing so in the console's cartridge slot. Not a bad workaround, in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't believe you will find one that has those side connections.

And there's barely anything for Super Famicom enhanced games that would be of interest to anyone that wasn't released here. They got maybe 10 games that used various chips that we didn't get and I suspect most can live without things like Jumpin' Derby (Although I do remember that they got a Parodius game that used a SA-1 chip that might be of import interest to SuperNes owners). So that isn't much of a problem I suspect for most.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-09-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I already modded the Genie to play SFC games.

Also, I'm not looking at any SFC that have a SFX chip.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I don't believe you will find one that has those side connections.

And there's barely anything for Super Famicom enhanced games that would be of interest to anyone that wasn't released here.
    Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius, yes.
    I think the Kirby games (Super Star and Dream Land 3) and RockMan X2/3 are cheaper to find than the western versions (last I checked, X3 was just over $20 for the SFC version vs. $50+ for the US, probably even more for the PAL version).

To answer another question, the one Sunsoft game I can personally remember that seemed to refuse to work with the GG was Death Valley Rally. Would always glitch up at the Sunsoft logo and crash on it or on the black screen between the Sunsoft logo and the copyright notices screen.