Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Stadium 2 - 'Not for Resale'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Pokemon Stadium 2 - 'Not for Resale'

I have an NTSC copy of Pokemon Stadium 2 for N64. On the front cartridge label, it says 'Not for Resale'.

My guess is that it was a store demo cart (Nintendo Australia set up NTSC N64 store kiosks to show off new games that hadn't yet come out yet).

Can someone please confirm this? And is it worth any more than a standard Pokemon Stadium 2 cart?

Thanks.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are collectors who try to complete the set, but unless you hunt them down specifically, the cart isn't worth any more. I don't know how many are available, but there are quite a few, including DK64, Jet Force Gemini, Mario Tennis, Mario64, Mario Party 3, Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros., etc. Basically every big Nintendo release was given the kiosk treatment, and they are all the same as the original releases, except that they may be a little bit buggier.

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one of those except it's the US Pokemon Stadium I. Seems just fine to me (no buggs). It came out of a Blockbuster Pokemon Snap/Stadium Station a few years ago.

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok thanks for the info guys. I was just curious as to it's significance.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anotherfluke
    and they are all the same as the original releases, except that they may be a little bit buggier.
    not all of 'em. dk64, turok 2, and zelda mm have kiosk versions that are very different from the released versions with menu's etc. that aren't in the final version.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you referring to the ones, like Zelda MM where there is a list of areas you can try, and you can only try that area? I think those are a bit more rare than the others, but most are just the regular game.

As for the bugginess, all games are released in batches, and each batch has bug fixes. This is for the most part transparent to the consumer, but the first version always has more bugs. The most famous examples are Zelda:OoT, which has different music in the Temple and fixes for some bugs with Link's sword, and Perfect Dark, in which a couple of the multiplayer levels are impossible to complete with three players, making it impossible to get all four stars in a couple levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Are you referring to the ones, like Zelda MM where there is a list of areas you can try, and you can only try that area? I think those are a bit more rare than the others, but most are just the regular game.

As for the bugginess, all games are released in batches, and each batch has bug fixes. This is for the most part transparent to the consumer, but the first version always has more bugs. The most famous examples are Zelda:OoT, which has different music in the Temple and fixes for some bugs with Link's sword, and Perfect Dark, in which a couple of the multiplayer levels are impossible to complete with three players, making it impossible to get all four stars in a couple levels.
    Impossible, unless, you cheat like I did and make the game think the challenge is something completely different.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ooh, please enlighten me! I can turn the information in to my work for bonuses!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nesman85
    and they are all the same as the original releases, except that they may be a little bit buggier.
    not all of 'em. dk64, turok 2, and zelda mm have kiosk versions that are very different from the released versions with menu's etc. that aren't in the final version.

What are the differences between Zelda mm demo and retail version? I played with the "not for resale" cartridge about 30 minutes and it looks like a complete game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    nildem
    PSN
    nildem
    Steam
    nildem

What are the ways to tell these "versions" apart?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There pretty much isn't. Nintendo at least is careful to make bug fixes between versions as transparent as possible. Unless there is something identifiable in the game (like the music change in Zelda:OoT) or the packaging (label variations/spelling fixes), you can't tell. I would wager, however, that virtually every run of games made (This probably goes doubly so for the PS/DC games, which are printed almost on demand) has been patched to some degree between one print and the next

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jbholio
    Quote Originally Posted by nesman85

What are the differences between Zelda mm demo and retail version? I played with the "not for resale" cartridge about 30 minutes and it looks like a complete game.
    i think there's a couple different zelda mm kiosk versions. i don't remember exactly what the menu says, but there's one with a menu and you can choose from a list of things, probably what area of the game you want to play. this version was on ebay a few months ago.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm wondering if the 'menu' version is the E3 demo cart that Nintendo used for the trade show. I wanted that one bad. The Majora's Mask 'menu' demo is the only one of it's kind that I've seen, can anyone verify that other unique/'menu' demo carts exist?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My version of Zelda MM "not for resale" doesn't have any menus. Does the menu appear when you start the game? The ID# on the cart is DIS-NUS-NZSE-USA. There is probably another version of the demo. Nesman85, do you remember how much the zelda demo went for on ebay?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm intrested in any and all N64 "Not for Resale" carts as I am a Nintendo completist. I have every commerically released US game. Bring on the demos!

PM me to discuss trades. I've got lots of good stuff to deal for those.

BTW, they're not worth shit... now. Someday they will be but when that "someday" will be could be several years.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another point to make: I know that EVERY Nintendo/Rare N64 game, with the exception of M rated games and Blast Corps, had a demo cart released. The rarest one seems to be the Pilotwings 64 demo, which DOES exist but the only copy of which I have ever seen happens to be in my collection. The most common ones are DK64 and Super Mario 64. I see DK64 ones all the time. My personal collection has 4 demos. They are: Mario 64, DK 64, Pilotwings 64, and Ken Griffey Slugfest.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie
    I'm intrested in any and all N64 "Not for Resale" carts as I am a Nintendo completist. I have every commerically released US game. Bring on the demos!

PM me to discuss trades. I've got lots of good stuff to deal for those.

BTW, they're not worth shit... now. Someday they will be but when that "someday" will be could be several years.
    Sorry Charlie but I'm also trying to complete a set of N64 demo cartridges. Do you have a list of all N64 demos known to exist? Does the Pilotwings 64 have a red "not for resale" square on the front label? BTW, if you need a Mario party 3 demo : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=11034

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is a list of N64 demos I made :

Banjo-Kazooie
    Banjo-Tooie
    Donkey Kong 64
    Exitebike 64
    Jet Force Gemini
    Ken Griffey Jr.’s Slugfest
    Legend of Zelda : Majora's Mask
    Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time
    Mario Kart 64
    Mario Party 3
    Mario Tennis
    Pilotwings 64
    Pokemon Snap
    Pokemon Stadium
    Pokemon Stadium 2
    Star Wars Episode I : Racer
    Star Wars : Rogue Squadron
    Super Mario 64
    Turok 2 : Seeds of Evil

Games I'm not sure :
    1080 Snowboarding
    Cruis’n USA
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Goldeneye 007
    Mario Golf
    Mario Party
    Mario Party 2
    Paper Mario
    Starfox 64
    Star Wars : Shadows of the Empire
    Super Smash Bros.
    Turok : Dinosaur Hunter
    Wave Race 64

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have the Mario tennis not for resale cart.

Just to add my $.02
    #vbender

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i forget what the zelda mm demo went for, there was a thread about it on nesworld and i just went and checked the link and the auction is long gone.
    niels (www.nespit.com) has a list of kiosk demos on his old site, i forget the url but you should pm him for it.
    i know starfox has a kiosk version, it was on ebay not too long ago.