Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Mario Bros. Crossover 2.0 is HERE!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super Mario Bros. Crossover 2.0 is HERE!!!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haha, this is awesome. The various console themes and new playable characters are as cool as I hoped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I must confess that I am very upset that all of the characters (other than Mario and Luigi) have lost the ability to jump on the heads of enemies. Horrible decision. I can't believe this move was play tested and not rejected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    I must confess that I am very upset that all of the characters (other than Mario and Luigi) have lost the ability to jump on the heads of enemies. Horrible decision. I can't believe this move was play tested and not rejected.
    That didn't click with me when I played it briefly last night but, damn, you're absolutely right. What a way to wreck the flow for characters that need to stop and attack. A most definite WTF. The presentation's still ace, of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This guy would make a small fortune if he put these on carts!!! The lawsuits that follow would probably bankrupt him though...
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel View Post
    That didn't click with me when I played it briefly last night but, damn, you're absolutely right. What a way to wreck the flow for characters that need to stop and attack. A most definite WTF.
    It's actually much better this way. When everybody can stomp on the enemies it causes two problems. First, it makes Mario somewhat useless as everybody else can do what he can and more. Second, it makes everybody else play much more authentically to their original versions. I realized that when I would play as Mega Man or someone I wasn't playing it in the mindset of "Mega Man." I was playing it in the mindset of "Mario with a gun." By changing it, now when you pick somebody you have to play them with the same mindset that you'd have if you were playing their original games. It's much closer to the original philosophy of putting characters from other games into Mario.

One thing I did notice is that the game runs like shit under certain conditions. And the characters still aren't quite flawless representations of their original versions. Mario is easiest to notice. There's something off.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-10-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    It's actually much better this way. When everybody can stomp on the enemies it causes two problems. First, it makes Mario somewhat useless as everybody else can do what he can and more. Second, it makes everybody else play much more authentically to their original versions. I realized that when I would play as Mega Man or someone I wasn't playing it in the mindset of "Mega Man." I was playing it in the mindset of "Mario with a gun." By changing it, now when you pick somebody you have to play them with the same mindset that you'd have if you were playing their original games. It's much closer to the original philosophy of putting characters from other games into Mario.

One thing I did notice is that the game runs like shit under certain conditions. And the characters still aren't quite flawless representations of their original versions. Mario is easiest to notice. There's something off.
    I can appreciate the desire to have the characters play more authentically to their origins but, when the game imposes certain Mario-isms on them, it feels weird to me when they can't jump on enemies. Maybe if Mega Man, Simon Belmont and others had a more-like-their-original-games life bar instead of the 1-2 hits afforded by mushrooms & fire fllowers. Of course, then you'd run the risk of having the game play too much like a non-Mario platformer but at least it would have chosen a side.

Honestly, I don't think that Mario even needs to be in the game if he's just going to play like his SMB1 self. Rather than handicap every other character by removing the abillity to jump on enemies, why not boost Mario's performance by giving him access to an additional default move that brings him up to par? It's not like the Mario series is hurting for ideas here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im glad its out, but how do you use a controller??Ive tried xpadder and joy2key and only the control pad recognizes.
    I REALLY WANT TO PLAY THIS
    i cant even set keys on the keyboard in the menu, whatta horrible set up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rkotm View Post
    Im glad its out, but how do you use a controller??Ive tried xpadder and joy2key and only the control pad recognizes.
    I REALLY WANT TO PLAY THIS
    i cant even set keys on the keyboard in the menu, whatta horrible set up.
    Sorry that you're having problems. Joy2key works for me. Have you had joy2key work for other programs in the past?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Second, it makes everybody else play much more authentically to their original versions.
    I hear you. I do. But "authentic" hurts the fun in this case. Not being able to jump on a goomba is just unnatural. You are taking these characters into the Mushroom Kingdom universe, where everyone with a significant enough weight should be able to hop onto an enemy and squash it. If everyone being able to jump on enemies makes Mario redundant, who cares? I already have the original Super Mario Bros. with Mario. I don't need him to be the only pony who is able to do his trick. To deny "the trick" to other characters makes the game feel awkward to me. At the very least, there should be an option to allow squashing or not to allow squashing for non-Mario characters.

I hope this gets fixed in an update. I'd also like to see some small things touched up, like how the stars bounce. Also, it's great that Bass and Luigi were added to the game, but I would have much preferred characters who weren't rehashes of pre-existing characters. Master Higgins would be great. I know I'm on the cusp of being a Hudson fan-boy and everything, but I really think he'd be tons of fun in the Mario universe.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can appreciate the desire to have the characters play more authentically to their origins but, when the game imposes certain Mario-isms on them, it feels weird to me when they can't jump on enemies. Maybe if Mega Man, Simon Belmont and others had a more-like-their-original-games life bar instead of the 1-2 hits afforded by mushrooms & fire fllowers. Of course, then you'd run the risk of having the game play too much like a non-Mario platformer but at least it would have chosen a side.
    I definitely agree with this. I'm glad they ditched the Mario-styled mushroom -> fire flower for everybody and expanded it to something at least somewhat comparable to how powerups work for the various characters. But, yes, characters with life bars should have their life bars. As it is, playing as those characters forces you to be far more cautious than you'd ever be in their respective games, especially Mega Man and Metroid where running straight through enemies is not especially uncommon.

Honestly, I don't think that Mario even needs to be in the game if he's just going to play like his SMB1 self. Rather than handicap every other character by removing the abillity to jump on enemies, why not boost Mario's performance by giving him access to an additional default move that brings him up to par? It's not like the Mario series is hurting for ideas here.
    Mario is actually exceptionally useful as a benchmark. One of the best ways to see if the game plays the way it should is to run through with Mario. I've noticed a good bit of timing is off because I can't play quite the same as I usually do on the NES.

The change to everybody not being able to jump on enemies isn't a handicap. Most of them have guns, after all. It's just that they were previously overpowered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry that you're having problems. Joy2key works for me. Have you had joy2key work for other programs in the past?

I used Joy2key for Abobo, a download preset patch they made a smart move by that team, and it worked. But sadly Exploding rabbit doesnt care. I also try to start new game, and it says something like ''press s or z to make selection." selection what???? any key sends me back. ive only been able to go to the character select screen once. couldn't make anything happen, either. ive looked on their forums, and nothing. Just talk of the first one. This is really confusing also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used Joy2key for Abobo, a download preset patch they made a smart move by that team, and it worked. But sadly Exploding rabbit doesnt care. I also try to start new game, and it says something like ''press s or z to make selection." selection what???? any key sends me back. ive only been able to go to the character select screen once. couldn't make anything happen, either. ive looked on their forums, and nothing. Just talk of the first one. This is really confusing also.
    What kind of controller are you using? If you're using a NES controller through a USB adaptor, I can send you my Joy to Key config file for SMB Crossover, which you should be able to put in the Joy to Key folder, making the controller work. Send me a PM with your email address if this is the case and I'll shoot you the .cfg file to check to see if that might fix the problem.

One more thing: you might just need to click the screen with the mouse cursor for the controller and Joy to Key to work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What kind of controller are you using? If you're using a NES controller through a USB adaptor, I can send you my Joy to Key config file for SMB Crossover, which you should be able to put in the Joy to Key folder, making the controller work. Send me a PM with your email address if this is the case and I'll shoot you the .cfg file to check to see if that might fix the problem.

One more thing: you might just need to click the screen with the mouse cursor for the controller and Joy to Key to work.
    Pmed!
    I get to a config in the game, and it lets me map out some buttons until the special function. It says key already in use, but i pm'ed you so i guess we'll work on it there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pmed!
    I get to a config in the game, and it lets me map out some buttons until the special function. It says key already in use, but i pm'ed you so i guess we'll work on it there.
    Email has been sent with the .cfg. Let me know if it works!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Great Game, Are they going to add a EXE. file So you could play on your desktop??

other thing will the next updat have pad support??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    other thing will the next updat have pad support??
    Joy2Key is your friend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Pretty cool game. I tried Mega Man and Link. I love how the music changes with each character.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Tremendous! I love all the character choices.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

They should add Balki Bartokomous as a playable character.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"