Thread: Zx Spectrum

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Zx Spectrum

Does anybody know where I may be able to buy a ZX Spectrum? I live in the USA, I would prefer a 48k model (in box would be ideal). I am well aware of ebay but I really do not want to ship from the UK.

Thanks everyone.
    "The expenses of the government reach EVERYBODY"
    -Calvin Coolidge (30th President of the U.S.A.)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
    Does anybody know where I may be able to buy a ZX Spectrum? I live in the USA, I would prefer a 48k model (in box would be ideal). I am well aware of ebay but I really do not want to ship from the UK.

Thanks everyone.
    Look, an advice from someone who also lives in a 60hz country (Brasil is 60hz like the US, although we use PAL-M and you use NTSC) is DON'T BUY a bog standard 48K Speccy, because you'll have only the RF connection available, and it's the channel 32 (or 34?) in UHF. Also, the connector is different, and might require you to solder a new one.

If I were you, I would get, if possible, a 128K, the old one, with the heat sink on the side, or the gray/grey Spectrum 128K +2, which is essentially the 128K's board on a larger case, with a built in tape drive.

The reason for getting 128K/+2 is because a) they have more ram, b) they have 3 channel audio and c) they have RGB output so you can connect them quite easily to any Amiga/Coco3 analog 15khz RGB monitor. Color CGA monitors have digital/ttl RGB input and won't work with the Speccy.

You'll also need a step up converter because they are 220V and the US power outlets are 110V only.

Feel free to contact me if you need further help.

Carlos
    carlos.bragatto@gmail.com

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I use a Spectrum in the USA, and it really isn't that difficult. There are a few things to mention:

- Though it is a 220v computer, it can be powered with 9VDC, which is the same worldwide. Just use a universal supply.

- The Spectrum generates composite video natively, and runs it through an RF box. Follow this tutorial to fix it, once you do, it just is composite: http://womblesretrorepairshack.blogs...video-mod.html

- Most importantly, it's a 50Hz computer. Make sure whatever TV you want to use it on at least supports 50Hz. Even if it does, it may not support PAL. If it doesn't, it will be in black and white.

Yes, a +3 would be ideal, but the shipping price is terrible and most British sellers don't ship them overseas because of it. I got mine from a user on these forums, but try World of Spectrum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

If you want to do it the harder way, you can always get the US released Timex Sinclair 2068, and then a compatibility cartridge. That should allow you to play something like 97% of the Spectrum's library. The Timex Sinclair 2068 was a licensed version of the Speccy that was brought over to the US by Timex, then they created all new ROMs that made it incompatible with the Spectrum. They also upgraded it somewhat to make it more attractive in the heavily saturated US market, like putting in a cartridge port, joystick ports, and a Yamaha sound chip (which Sinclair later adopted for their UK models). The 2068 will need a compatibility cartridge, which is basically an original Spectrum ROM on a cart to be able to play most of it's games. That cartridge is pretty rare, though. It might be cheaper to get an original Plus+3 from Britain. But at least the 2068 is designed to work in the US.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay I'll check around, thanks for the advice everyone.
    "The expenses of the government reach EVERYBODY"
    -Calvin Coolidge (30th President of the U.S.A.)