Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the best portable system EVER?

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Lynx is the best of course, it has the best good games - bad games ratio. Hardly any duffs for the Lynx
    Showoff.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've bought lots of portables over the years, but the only one I ever really spent a lot of time with was the Nintendo DS (and its variants). Screens were bright and clear; tons of awesome games - unique stuff, modern stuff, classic stuff; good battery life (built-in rechargeable, too).
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by markusman64ds View Post
    Showoff.
    Hehe, sold off my complete Lynx collection in 2010.
    Started to re-collect now, so far I got 8 Lynx games:
    http://www.videogamecollectors.com/g..._itemId=342921

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Hehe, sold off my complete Lynx collection in 2010.
    Started to re-collect now, so far I got 8 Lynx games:
    http://www.videogamecollectors.com/g..._itemId=342921
    Hey, that's still more than my collection. 0 games and 0 systems and counting

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a tough call - I think there is a best portable and a most important portable

As for the best...I will give the nod to the Gameboy Advance - its what really took portable gaming mainstream...don't get me wrong..I had a regular Gameboy and I loved it..but that was before the advent of the gaming explosion. As for the most influential and important handheld....I always said...Sega was killed by its own ingenuity...the GameGear was way ahead of its time, just like everything else they put out, and I firmly believe it was the GG that influenced Nintendo and other companies to take the route they did with their hand helds.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The GBA is my personal favorite. It was the last grasp of the classic, 2d era.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I'm going to go with GBA, but only because of its legacy support for GB/GBC games. I really want to say DS because that's a system that slowly won me over in a big, big, way. But DS's absence of long-reaching legacy support is the deal-breaker.

A close second for me is the Lynx. Lots and lots of personal favorites on that one.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Genesaturn View Post
    don't get me wrong..I had a regular Gameboy and I loved it..but that was before the advent of the gaming explosion.
    How old are you again? I had ton of friends who had a Game Boy when I was a kid.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Practically every kid had a Game Boy in the 90s. I mean, they were marked down to $49.95 as early as 1993, which was less than the typical SNES game, so they were really affordable. And when Pokemon came along, they were all the more ubiquitous. Portable gaming was definitely mainstream LONG before the Game Boy Advance, and the "gaming explosion" happened long before that too. So kids these days think gaming didn't take off until past 2000?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

A fully modded PSP 2000 or 3000. Full library of PSP games, PS1 games, Gameboy, GBC, GBA, SNES, Genesis, mame NeoGeo Pocket Color, etc etc.

But if that's cheating I gotta go with the GBA SP 2.0. It's still the sexiest handheld ever.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a portable system fan. Like, I have to catch myself to not buy every different one out there, and I really don't know why that is. A *lot* of portable systems I couldn't give two rips about for the longest time, and then probably about 10 years ago, I kinda started just acquiring them. I'll admit that my taste is weird, but here we go, ranked from favorite to not so much...

1) Nintendo DSiXL - I wish it had the cartridge slot for GBA games, but beyond that this thing is great -- with a screen that is large and bright enough to really see what is going on, and a layout that is the right size for my big ol' hands, this thing just nailed everything. I didn't like and never got a DS Lite or DSi after my original DS because they didn't feel right, this thing does -- and there is a heck of a lot of great DS games to play for it.
    2) Game Boy Micro - Okay, so I love the GIANT DS because it fits my hands right, but something about the Micro just fits me right too. I love the fact that I can drop it into a pocket and carry it around with no issues -- perhaps the only portable that is truly really easily portable -- and the screen is just right too. I never owned another GBA because I hated the original's screen and I hated the form factor of the GBASP, but the Micro just works... and by all means, it really shouldn't.
    3) PSP - The knock on it has always been that the games are like full sized PS2 games, just fit on a small screen. And that knock is fair, but since you can suspend the game at any point, I don't see what the big deal is. I would rank it higher if there was more to the library, but it seems like it was a flash in the pan for releases, and while it has some really great ones, it simply doesn't have enough to justify ranking it above the GBA or DS.
    4) Neo Geo Pocket Color - This was probably the handheld that really got me into handhelds, I bought it right after they announced they would be pulling the inventory. I had been saving up for one (it had nothing to do with collecting and everything to do with really wanting one) and the library has the highest rating of great games to console that I think I have found. The original Card Fighters Clash is amazing, and the clickly stick is simply perfect tech for a portable.
    5) Game Boy Color - I got this after I bought my first DS to experience some of the games with. It fits nice, it has a lot of decent games for it (in particular, Super Mario Bros is AMAZING what they did with it), and that's about that.
    6) Original Game Boy - I liked the size of this for playing with, although the games drove me nuts. I played the heck out of the one that I had as a kid, but if I had the choice between a real console or the Game Boy, it was the real console every time.
    7) Atari Lynx - I love a bunch of the games for the Lynx, and the hardware is cool. Robotron is great. I wish it wasn't so much of a battery guzzler, or it would be higher on the list.
    8) 3DS - Give me a game that I am interested in that I don't feel like is a tech demo, please, and I'll rate this one higher. So far, my 3DS has been used to play through the Professor Layton games (not 3DS titles), and I bought Pilotwings and Steel Diver for it, both which feel like they should have been $5.00 downloadable titles from the online store, not cartridge releases. I'm very interested in some upcoming titles, although hardware design issues will probably never move this beyond #3 for me right now, unless a new revision comes calling.
    9) Sega Game Gear - I hate hate hate the screen blurring crap this thing does, but I really like a bunch of the games that it has. It's a weird relationship I have with that console... I guess I would put the portable "Coleco" thing I got a couple years ago with a bunch of GG games in it higher than this... THAT thing is cool.
    10) Game.Com - I don't really have much nice to say about the Game.Com. But I own a few of them, because they are portable, and I go to portables like a bee to honey, I guess.

I didn't mention the different console revisions, or else I'd have another 10 or so. I also purposely avoided mentioning anything that is really a console game made portable too, as although I have some of those, to me it's a big difference. Gameplay in portables is different than gameplay in consoles, and I really find that I like the differences that make portables... well, portable!
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going with the GBA SP. GB, GBC, and GBA all on one system. The back-lit screen makes up for the non form fitting design (it would hurt my hands after playing for a while). That said, the simplicity of the clamshell design made it ideal for dropping in a pocket or bag with no worry of the screen getting scratched up. If the original DS could play GB/GBC games, it would have easily taken the cake.

My top 5 favorites in terms of collecting for are...

1. Game Boy Advance
    2. Nintendo DS
    3. Neo Geo Pocket Color
    4. Playstation Portable
    5. Game Boy Color

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is my favorite portable...

Attachment 4477

As far as best, I always loved the Turbo Express, since you could use the actual home system cards, and the thing looked like a portable, unlike the Nomad...
    Then the PSP came out, great LCD, great battery life, great control layout.
    And as far as the Gameboy systems, they were all very difficult for me to play with because of the poor screens, until the GBA SP backlit model came out.
    Last edited by hamburglar; 02-17-2012 at 01:17 AM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
    This is my favorite portable...

Attachment 4477
    What have you done to that thing?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    How old are you again? I had ton of friends who had a Game Boy when I was a kid.
    Growing up I had no other friends with a Gameboy other than my cousin. And if you look at the numbers...between the Gameboys launch in 89 including the color - all the way up to the launch of GBA it sold 118 million units...GBA/SP from 2001-2004 sold 125 million in almost a quarter of that period. And I will be 28 this year.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

In order, going by only the games released on the system, rerelease or otherwise.

PSP
    Gameboy Advance
    Nintendo DS
    Gameboy

There are games for other portable systems that I like, but there's few games on those systems that make it worth it.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 02-18-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best portable ever? The Game.com. Oh wait, you were being serious. In that case, I'm going to have to give it to either the Neo Geo Pocket Color or the GBA. I play my NGPC more than any other handheld but the GBA has so many good games for it that it probably deserves the nod.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

The Sega VMU.
    WANT LIST:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...older=Wishlist

ALSO WANTED: Dreamcast Sports Edition empty box

FOR SALE/TRADE:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...r+Sale%2FTrade

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Game.com

Seriously, I like the Lynx. Great games and it is ATARI! The Turbo Express always seemed like a top-of-the-line system. It was very well built with an excellent screen and great sound. Sadly, mine needs the sound fixed. It still works with headphones.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does my new Android smartphone count?