Thread: Can two people and a rental truck move a dance machine? Any tips?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Can two people and a rental truck move a dance machine? Any tips?

Well my local arcade is selling their Pump It Up machine. I don't have room or money for it, but it's the main thing that brings me into the arcade and I'd be sad if it was gone, so I guess I have to buy it before someone else does. I don't really know how the machine breaks apart (but luckily it's one of those machines that just has a regular old TV for a monitor).

Could I just rent a 17' UHaul and appliance dolly and pick it up with a friend, or am I overestimating my moving abilities? Anything tips for transporting something so huge? There's no stairs or anything in the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought they were built just like DDR cabs....top half separates from the bottom. Pads & bars can be separated too.

Personally I think renting a UHaul is overkill. Just get a friend with a flatbed truck and you should be fine.

What mix is it and how much they asking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I thought they were built just like DDR cabs....top half separates from the bottom. Pads & bars can be separated too.

Personally I think renting a UHaul is overkill. Just get a friend with a flatbed truck and you should be fine.

What mix is it and how much they asking?
    Asking price is $1500 for (Edit: I think it's actually PIU: Zero). The machine is beat up but the pads work great. I think it's an upgraded PIU: Premier cabinet.

My problem is I just moved back here and don't really have any friends so it's hard to get someone with a truck (also why I only have one person to help me move!). The arcade isn't too far away, it would be <$100 to rent a truck.
    Last edited by DefaultGen; 02-18-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

You may be able to rent a pickup from a home improvement store cheaper. I know that Menard's here will rent out pickups for like $20/hr. They also rent appliance dollies. Not sure about Lowe's/HD/etc. If you feel like being social, you could also post in the want ads of craigslist. If I had a truck I'd move games for money.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Figured I'd update this thread in case anyone finds themselves here via Google.

I rented a 17' Uhaul and it felt like a good size for a Pump It Up: Premier cab all parted out (nothing stacked on anything). Two people can move the front cabinet and pads no problem, but the lighting fixture and enormous back cabinet were easier with a third person balancing. The back cabinet is basically a giant, heavy, meaningless box. I understand why they made the more modern machines smaller!