Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So I bought a retrogen adapter...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So I bought a retrogen adapter...

***Working/non-working list on post 24***

Yup, I sure did.

The only game I had waiting for it when it arrived was streets of rage 2. It came, I popped it in to my retro duo and it started right up! Looked good, sounded good played awesome! Button layout was perfect on my original snes controller. A was jump, b is attack and y is special. Played for a couple hours and no problems...

So I went to a local retrogame shop I picked up a copy of spiderman. Brought it home and nada! Just a blank screen. Hmmm.... Well it could be the game. So I gave it a good cleaning but nope, nothing. So I drive back for an exchange but they had no other copys so I grabbed a golden axe 1. Brought it home and cleaned it first thing. Popped it in and nothing again.

I put back in sor2 and it worked fine again...

So either I'm having amazingly bad luck with bad games or these 2 games are incompatible???

To early to call it since I don't have a genesis to try it on. kinda bumming me out cause sor2 was perfect.

Oh well thought I'd share and I will update as I get more games...

.... Btw if anyone has a retrogen adapter and can confirm if these games work or not for you please chime in. Or any other non working games as there is no incompatible list I have found yet...
    Last edited by hellraiser; 02-25-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok for anyone interested I went back and got sonic 1,2 and 3. I also picked up vectorman and a different copy of spiderman. All of witch worked fine in the adapter.

Golden axe is another story... I had trouble getting it working in the in store genesis. After a kittle cleaning on the stores part it worked fine on there system. Thing is when I got home it still wouldn't work for me. Oh well probably gonna trade it toward a sonic spinball.

I got a kid chameleon on the way and if that don't work I'm gonna be really pissed as that was one of my absolute favorites.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hellraiser View Post
    Ok for anyone interested I went back and got sonic 1,2 and 3. I also picked up vectorman and a different copy of spiderman. All of witch worked fine in the adapter.

Golden axe is another story... I had trouble getting it working in the in store genesis. After a kittle cleaning on the stores part it worked fine on there system. Thing is when I got home it still wouldn't work for me. Oh well probably gonna trade it toward a sonic spinball.

I got a kid chameleon on the way and if that don't work I'm gonna be really pissed as that was one of my absolute favorites.
    At this point I suggest investing in a Sega Genesis. They are quite easy to get and of course has 100 percent compatibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    At this point I suggest investing in a Sega Genesis. They are quite easy to get and of course has 100 percent compatibility.
    Not quite 100%. More like: 100% - EA games manufactured 1989 to 1991 = 99%.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you do get a Genesis, get a model 1.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

get a model 1 that's has High Definition Graphics written on it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

The "Will my Model 1 play EA games?" bible: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?53284

...or at least as close as we're ever going to get.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I could have just got a genesis but I picked up the retrogen adapter because of the novelty...

This may anger purist but I've been more then satisfied with the performance of my retroduo. So the ability to play a couple sega classics on it is irresistible.

I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't bummed about golden axe. I may pick up another copy of it on the cheap to try it again...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get a gamebit so you can open cartridges. Clean all of your games with a pencil eraser followed by a swabbing with 90% alcohol. I've brought games back from the "dead" in this manner.

And buy a real Genesis if you want a true experience. The sound and colors are usually wonky on clones anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien View Post
    Get a gamebit so you can open cartridges. Clean all of your games with a pencil eraser followed by a swabbing with 90% alcohol. I've brought games back from the "dead" in this manner.
    Hey thanks... I been thinking about doing just this

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Retroduo's and retrogen adapters are better off in a landfill or at the bottom of the Atlantic. Thats my 2 cents. Buy a real Genesis it probably costs less anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I suggest getting a real Genesis as well. It will work with every game and there won't be any audio, video, or control issues. They're everywhere and they're cheap. My suggestion would be to get a model 1. And I also suggest getting one that has "High Definition Graphics" written on it. That's because they have better audio than the later model 1 and the model 2. Avoid the model 3 as it has compatibility issues with some games.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

For what it's worth, I've bought one of these myself and will do a full video review of it when it arrives. I'm not expecting the world from it, but I am interested to see how it handles Sonic at the very least.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    For what it's worth, I've bought one of these myself and will do a full video review of it when it arrives. I'm not expecting the world from it, but I am interested to see how it handles Sonic at the very least.
    That's great! Please let us know what games work/don't work for you. I'm still not 100% convinced on my copy of golden axe.
    Last edited by hellraiser; 02-20-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't bummed about golden axe. I may pick up another copy of it on the cheap to try it again...
    If you can't find a working copy of Golden Axe, there are a couple of official multicarts that include Golden Axe and a few other great titles. They would be ideal for a portable.
    Last edited by kedawa; 02-20-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    If you can't find a working copy of Golden Axe, there are a couple of official multicarts that include Golden Axe and a few other great titles. They would be ideal for a portable.
    Smart idea! Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok so I just picked up today tmnt hyperstone heist, afterburner 2, columns and Rambo 3 (one of my favorites as a kid)

All seem to work fine in the adapter. I've not yet located a second golden axe cart but that first one definitely works on a genny 3.

After some real "play time" I did notices that it glitches a little during sonic 3. During the intro before the 3d sonic pops out, my screen will go blank for 1/2 second. Also when you finish the bonus game (blue spheres) my screen will go blank for a second or two as it ads up your points then go back to normal before gameplay that's all I found so far but I'm only up to level 3...

Really lookin forward to the satoshi matrix review video as I'm sure he will be alot more detailed then me!
    Last edited by hellraiser; 02-24-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Culex4096's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had mine since it first came out and just recently I've gotten some more games. Overall, the Retrogen is a little gimmicky, but it does work. Most games have minor graphical flaws though (white backgrounds scroll on the screen..... though it depends on the TV too). Also, some games have major audio glitches, I tested Castlevania: Bloodlines and the music was great, but the sound effects were either muffled or way out of pitch. In addition, Castlevania did experience some minor graphical glitches, once again on anything white. Still cool though and I don't regret the purchase at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Culex4096 View Post
    I've had mine since it first came out and just recently I've gotten some more games. Overall, the Retrogen is a little gimmicky, but it does work. Most games have minor graphical flaws though (white backgrounds scroll on the screen..... though it depends on the TV too). Also, some games have major audio glitches, I tested Castlevania: Bloodlines and the music was great, but the sound effects were either muffled or way out of pitch. In addition, Castlevania did experience some minor graphical glitches, once again on anything white. Still cool though and I don't regret the purchase at all.
    Hello,

Was wondering if you've come across any games that haven't worked yet? Or maybe even let's us know your confirmed working games...

Thank you!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After some real "play time" I did notices that it glitches a little during sonic 3. During the intro before the 3d sonic pops out, my screen will go blank for 1/2 second. Also when you finish the bonus game (blue spheres) my screen will go blank for a second or two as it ads up your points then go back to normal before gameplay that's all I found so far but I'm only up to level 3...
    Is it like what Twin Cobra does in this video on the RetroN3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYgm_G16KjA

If that's the case, it's just a quirk with GOACs. For some reason, any solid color screen comes out black on all GOACs I've come across. Not quite sure what's up with that.

On another note, like Satoshi_Matrix, I've got a RetroGen on the way as well. And I'll be sure to stress test the hell out of the cart.