Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So I bought a retrogen adapter...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Is it like what Twin Cobra does in this video on the RetroN3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYgm_G16KjA

If that's the case, it's just a quirk with GOACs. For some reason, any solid color screen comes out black on all GOACs I've come across. Not quite sure what's up with that.

On another note, like Satoshi_Matrix, I've got a RetroGen on the way as well. And I'll be sure to stress test the hell out of the cart.
    Yeah it's very similar... But on my t.v. A message pops up sayin unusable signal as if it wasant plugged in. The retron3 v2 seemed to deal with the sonic 3 intro fine. It's on episode 10 of that video you posted. If you watch the sonic 3 intro you'll notice for a brief second the screen turns white. That's when it happens. So culex4096 is probably right about the all white glitch.

I would really like to hear the results of your stress test! And anyone else's for that matter. Maybe we can start compiling a verified list of workin games.

Somebody please try golden axe!!! Lol!!!
    Last edited by hellraiser; 02-25-2012 at 12:10 PM.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Insert Coin (Level 0) Culex4096's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hellraiser View Post
    Hello, Was wondering if you've come across any games that haven't worked yet? Or maybe even let's us know your confirmed working games... Thank you!
    Okay, I don't have alot of games yet, because I just started a Genesis collection, but I can confirm a few. Keep in mind though that no game plays perfectly, there are graphical issues and sound issues in every game I've tested. However, if I put it under the working category, than that means that there are no major issues that effect gameplay. Also, I want to reiterate that the Retrogen hates white backgrounds..... like the Sega screen and special stage results in Sonic 1 and the Konami boot screen for Castlevania Bloodlines. Typically, the screen will scroll on these screens or shake, it depends on the TV, though I haven't seen a TV where there are no issues for these white screens, but perhaps some TVs won't exhibit these issues as much. If you guys have any particular questions about the games I tested feel free to ask

Working
    Castlevania Bloodlines
    Game Genie
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic Classics
    Sonic Spinball
    Sonic 1
    Sonic 2
    Super Street Fighter II
    Vectorman

Not-Working
    Virtua Racing
    Last edited by Culex4096; 02-25-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Culex4096 View Post
    If you guys have any particular questions about the games I tested feel free to ask

Working
    Castlevania Bloodlines
    Game Genie
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic Classics
    Sonic Spinball
    Sonic 1
    Sonic 2
    Super Street Fighter II
    Vectorman

Not-Working
    Virtua Racing
    Thank you!

I just found out USPS may have lost my kid chameleon so I'm gonna have to buy another copy...
    Last edited by hellraiser; 02-25-2012 at 08:56 PM.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last updated 4/1/12

***some games have minor sound & graphic issues. If it effects gameplay it will be put on non- working list***

Working game list...
    Afterburner 2
    Castlevania Bloodlines
    Contra hard corps
    Comix zone (alot of glitches during intro)
    Columns
    Game Genie
    Ghost busters
    Golden Axe
    Kid Chameleon
    Power Base Converter (which master system games unknown)
    Rambo 3
    Revenge of Shinobi
    Road Blasters
    Shadow Dancer
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic Classics
    Sonic Spinball
    Sonic 1
    Sonic 2
    Sonic 3
    Spiderman
    Streets of rage 2
    Strider
    Strider Returns
    Super Street Fighter II (???)
    Tmnt hyper stone heist
    Vectorman
    Vectorman 2

Not working...
    Games requiring mode button (see post 66)
    Virtual racing
    Sonic 2 locked on to knuckles (black screen)

***look on post 74 for member ace review and compatible list***

*** please fill free to post any games you've tried and any details about glitches***
    Last edited by hellraiser; 04-01-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When using an item like this, you have to keep in mind you are doubling the amount of connections that needs to be made for the game to play. While the adapter is new, your Genesis and any game you try to play are not and should be meticulously cleaned for best operation. If you have a Naki-style (pink) Genesis cleaner, spray a bit of contact cleaner on it before use. I just started using this method and it is amazing, much better than alcohol, unless you are using 90% alcohol or something similar. Common isopropyl alcohol is only 40% alcohol which leaves 60% water to cause minor corrosion.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah it's very similar... But on my t.v. A message pops up sayin unusable signal as if it wasant plugged in. The retron3 v2 seemed to deal with the sonic 3 intro fine. It's on episode 10 of that video you posted. If you watch the sonic 3 intro you'll notice for a brief second the screen turns white. That's when it happens. So culex4096 is probably right about the all white glitch.
    If you get that message on an all-white screen, it's possible the video amp used isn't exactly adequate for all-white screens. I've had sync issues on the FC3 Plus whenever I'd run the video through a splitter where any and all white screens would jitter vertically. It's possible other all-white screens like that do the same. We'll see what my TV and capture device do when I get my RetroGen adapter.

Somebody please try golden axe!!! Lol!!!
    I've got a known working copy of Golden Axe, so I'll give it a shot for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a known working copy of Golden Axe, so I'll give it a shot for you.
    Thank you! I been really pondering buying another copy from flea bay.

I swear I remember some one saying that some of these goac systems have a problem with golden axe 1 or 2.

As for the white screens it makes me worry a bit about games with snow/ice levels. I don't know how much it takes to make it go wonky.
    Last edited by hellraiser; 02-26-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Alrighty, I got mine yesterday and have tested it out on on my SNES, RetroDuo and all three of the portables. I don't have a huge library of Genesis games, but everything I've tried so far works. I can't get over how clear the composite video quality is on this - it is vastly superior to any model of the real Genesis hardware.

Unlike quarky sound emulation issues present in some clones like the RetorN3, this little device does a remarkably solid job at preserving the Genesis sound. It sounds just like it would if I were using my CDX. The SNES controller button mapping makes complete sense and I haven't ran into any games that don't run so far. I need to do a bit of further testing but all things are looking good. I'll be posting a video review as soon as I get a chance.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I need to do a bit of further testing but all things are looking good. I'll be posting a video review as soon as I get a chance.
    Can't wait!

I've been wanting to mention the audio. Thing is I have no original hardware to compare it to. I haven't owned a genesis since the mid 90's.
    Last edited by hellraiser; 02-28-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty cool video...

This guy got a power base converter working on his! For me this opens a whole new can of worms!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imbjo...e_gdata_player

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My RetroGen came in today. Result?

This thing is weird! It only works on two of Super NES compatible systems:

-Super NES Mini
    -Super Famicom Jr.

It doesn't work on any of my other systems:

-Super NES
    -Super Famicom
    -FC Twin
    -FC3 Plus(completely pointless, but I tested it anyways)
    -RetroDuo v2.0

I don't know what's going on, but damn, this is weird.

Still I was able to do some preliminary tests and I have this to say so far:

-Some people have experienced video issues with this thing on white screens where the video signal gets wavy. No such issue here, BUT I do get scrolling horizontal lines all over the screen. It seems a lot of audio noise leeches into the video signal because when you unplug the audio outputs, the lines disappear. However, it seems the RetroGen doesn't pass the audio signal into the Super NES as I get no sound through the Super NES' multi-A/V out.
    -The video is dark, much darker than a Genesis and like everything with a GOAC, there's too much green in the video signal. Satoshi_Matrix, I don't know where you get the idea that the Composite is good, but let me tell you: it looks worse than original hardware on my TV.
    -Volume balance between FM Synthesis and PSG is *almost* perfect. PSG is a little louder than it should be, but still at an acceptable volume
    -The FM Synthesis gets distorted at times and PCM samples get scratchy
    -There's a nasty squealing noise in the audio signal
    -THE STEREO SOUND IS REVERSED!!! WTF??? It's the same like the RetroN3! The red plug outputs the left audio channel and the white plug outputs the right audio channel. Jeez, are the manufacturers that stupid?

Oh, and Golden Axe works on my RetroGen. Hellraiser, I think your cartridge is defective. I can also confirm Virtua Racing does NOT work on the RetroGen(I knew it wouldn't).

EDIT: The lines aren't caused by the RetroGen. It's a grounding issue with my recording equipment causing the horizonal lines.
    Last edited by Ace; 03-01-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is weird Ace! Mine is happily sitting I'm my retroduo v 2.0!

I wonder if the scrolling issues can be fixed with a higher quality cable?

Now that I got a confirmed I will jump on another golden axe cart! Thank you!

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt it would work, but has anyone tried a 32X or Power Base Converter?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by markusman64ds View Post
    I doubt it would work, but has anyone tried a 32X or Power Base Converter?
    Power Base Converter you say?

Pretty cool video...

This guy got a power base converter working on his! For me this opens a whole new can of worms!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imbjo...e_gdata_player
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder which Master System games are compatible? 32X might not work due to the whole video cable thing.
    Last edited by markusman64ds; 03-01-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hope there's a mod to get Virtua Racing working....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is weird Ace! Mine is happily sitting I'm my retroduo v 2.0!
    It's almost like the adapter doesn't receive enough voltage on those consoles because when I apply power, I hear a pop noise in my speakers like when I power on something, but there's no video and no sound. There isn't even a line on the TV when I apply power to the RetroGen on those systems. I have no idea what the hell is going on.

I wonder if the scrolling issues can be fixed with a higher quality cable?
    The scrolling lines were caused by a grounding issue with my computer. I have a splitter on the audio outputs from my switchbox going into my laptop's microphone input so I can A) listen to games with headphones and B) record audio samples. I've removed the splitter from my laptop and all is fine.

I must say, though, whoever makes the A/V cables is incompetent. The Stereo sound on the RetroGen itself is NOT reversed, but the A/V cables are wired with the audio outputs reversed. Plug in headphones into the RetroGen and you'll see what I mean. If you're familiar with the Stereo sound of a certain game, you'll notice the Stereo sound is correct with headphones plugged into the adapter, but reversed with the included A/V cables.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by markusman64ds View Post
    I wonder which Master System games are compatible? 32X might not work due to the whole video cable thing.
    32X does some major sharing with the Genesis' video feed, so I'm thinking that a setup like that would need some healthy a/v modification.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    32X does some major sharing with the Genesis' video feed, so I'm thinking that a setup like that would need some healthy a/v modification.
    That's only half of the explanation. Like the Genesis 3, several Geniclones, including the RetroN3, early versions of the FC3 Plus and the RetroGen Adapter, completely omit certain signals between the cartridge slot and the GOAC(even the Genesis 3 is a GOAC, but one with external RAM and no built-in RGB to Composite video encoder). Video mixing is one thing, but if certain signals are missing from the cartridge slot, the 32X won't even boot. As a general rule of thumb: if Virtua Racing doesn't work, the 32X won't work either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

That's only half of the explanation. Like the Genesis 3, several Geniclones, including the RetroN3, early versions of the FC3 Plus and the RetroGen Adapter, completely omit certain signals between the cartridge slot and the GOAC(even the Genesis 3 is a GOAC, but one with external RAM and no built-in RGB to Composite video encoder). Video mixing is one thing, but if certain signals are missing from the cartridge slot, the 32X won't even boot. As a general rule of thumb: if Virtua Racing doesn't work, the 32X won't work either.
    Indeed!

Thanks for the more complex and accurate explanation.