Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So I bought a retrogen adapter...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Power Base Converter you say?
    At the 4 min mark of the video I posted... I was pretty shocked myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    It's almost like the adapter doesn't receive enough voltage on those consoles because when I apply power, I hear a pop noise in my speakers like when I power on something, but there's no video and no sound. There isn't even a line on the TV when I apply power to the RetroGen on those systems. I have no idea what the hell is going on.

That's what was going on with my copy of golden axe. Then when the game was tried on a regular system it worked. Maybe try a few different games while using the nonworking systems...

A few hours ago I picked up strider, eswat and kid chameleon. Strider worked fine the other two were just a blank screen. This has really got me puzzled! Thats a little much for bad luck. All three games that haven't worked have been from the same place too. That working strider I got from a guy on craigslist.
    Last edited by hellraiser; 03-01-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hellraiser View Post
    That's what was going on with my copy of golden axe. Then when the game was tried on a regular system it worked. Maybe try a few different games while using the nonworking systems...
    Here's the thing, though: the RetroGen refuses to power up on those consoles EVEN WHEN NO CARTRIDGE IS INSERTED INTO THE ADAPTER! And I verified this with my capture device as when that thing detects a signal and there's no game inserted into a console(unless it's an NES), the screen is black. However, with the RetroGen, the screen is blue, indicating absolutely nothing is going on.

One thing I did notice when taking my multimeter to the RetroGen is that some of the systems where I can't get the RetroGen to work output up to almost half a volt less than what it should. The thing is: the RetroGen works perfectly fine on my Super NES Mini and Super Famicom Jr. where the voltage at the Genesis cartridge slot is around 4.95V, but on other consoles such as my FC Twin and RetroDuo v2.0, the RetroGen refuses to work with 4.99V(FC Twin) and 4.96V(RetroDuo v2.0). My launch-model Super NES and early-revision Super Famicom(they have identical motherboards with the sound hardware on a separate plug-in board) output a very low voltage in comparison. The launch-model Super NES outputs a little above 4.5V at the cartridge slot and I believe the Super Famicom outputs about 4.7V or so(my FC3 Plus also outputs voltage within that range). The RetroGen runs most stable on my mid-revision Super NES(this is when Nintendo shortened the motherboard and placed the sound hardware directly onto the motherboard) where the voltage at the Genesis cartridge slot is 5.06V.

I'm going to retest all my Super NES consoles to determine the exact voltage and also try to cover up some pins on the card-edge to see what could be the source of the problems the RetroGen has on certain systems. I believe it may have to do with the fact the RetroGen appears to have two separate VCC sources. Two pins on the Super NES cartridge slot are VCC sources(5V), but on the RetroGen, those two sources are not linked together(the Grounds are linked together, though). My multimeter shows a connection between the two Ground points, but not between the two VCC points. I do have a 30-day warranty on this RetroGen, but I will hold onto it so long as it works on some consoles. Even if it doesn't work on some Super NES systems I have, as long as it works on some, that's okay with me. I do want to get to the bottom of this issue, though, as it's really bothering me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty cool video...

This guy got a power base converter working on his! For me this opens a whole new can of worms!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imbjo...e_gdata_player

That was PBC for Model 1, correct? Crazy, does this mean the Master System components are built into the adapter?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    That was PBC for Model 1, correct? Crazy, does this mean the Master System components are built into the adapter?
    Questions like this make me facepalm. OF COURSE IT HAS ALL THE COMPONENTS FROM THE MASTER SYSTEM! All of the Master System's hardware is critical to the Genesis; if ANYTHING is missing, Genesis games will either stop working outright or not work correctly. Master System converters only redirect signals from the Master System cartridge into the Genesis' cartridge slot and set pin B30 on the cartridge slot low(Ground), which switches the Genesis into Master System mode. If any Genesis(Genesis 3) or Geniclone does not work with Master System games, there's no connection between pin B30 and the hardware inside the system. All the Master System's hardware is there, but since there's no way to switch the video mode(and disable the main CPU in the process - keep in mind, the Genesis has 2 CPUs: the main CPU which is a Motorola 68000 and the secondary CPU which is a Zilog Z80. When Master System mode is engaged, the 68000 is disabled and the Z80 takes over), you simply get a black screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Questions like this make me facepalm. OF COURSE IT HAS ALL THE COMPONENTS FROM THE MASTER SYSTEM! All of the Master System's hardware is critical to the Genesis; if ANYTHING is missing, Genesis games will either stop working outright or not work correctly. Master System converters only redirect signals from the Master System cartridge into the Genesis' cartridge slot and set pin B30 on the cartridge slot low(Ground), which switches the Genesis into Master System mode. If any Genesis(Genesis 3) or Geniclone does not work with Master System games, there's no connection between pin B30 and the hardware inside the system. All the Master System's hardware is there, but since there's no way to switch the video mode(and disable the main CPU in the process - keep in mind, the Genesis has 2 CPUs: the main CPU which is a Motorola 68000 and the secondary CPU which is a Zilog Z80. When Master System mode is engaged, the 68000 is disabled and the Z80 takes over), you simply get a black screen.
    Wow! To be honest I wasant sure how that worked either!

Any hoot must be having some of the worst game luck ever! I returned the kid chameleon for another copy and it works fine... They didn't have another copy of eswat for me to try but no biggie. Got to really credit the stores customer relations! I'm gonna update our little list of working games including golden axe!(thanks again ace!!!)

I hope to hit a local flea market this weekend and i got a copy of comix zone and sonic and knuckles on the way from a member in the d.p. Market place so I can really get some testing in!

P.s. The retrogen actually glitches pretty good every time you warp in kid chameleon. It doesn't effect game play in the least.... Well so far atleast.
    Last edited by hellraiser; 03-02-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Except you're talking about how the actual Genesis works, when many of our clones up until this point did not even contain a Z80, whether that be because they emulated genesis and not hardware (Firecore) or apt to push several pieces of the Genesis onto a single chip (i.e. a GOAC). They might have the capabilities of the Z80, but it's not exactly a Z80. So, when a GOAC was instituted, it generally rendered the master system unplayable since obviously it won't interact in the same way with the Converter. Sheesh, I'm not a clone expert, but way to not only misunderstand the question, but also proceed to be a complete A-Hole about it as well.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 03-02-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Except you're talking about how the actual Genesis works, when many of our clones up until this point did not even contain a Z80, whether that be because they emulated genesis and not hardware (Firecore) or apt to push several pieces of the Genesis onto a single chip (i.e. a GOAC). They might have the capabilities of the Z80, but it's not exactly a Z80. So, when a GOAC was instituted, it generally rendered the master system unplayable since obviously it won't interact in the same way with the Converter.
    Where did you get this information??? The Z80 is CRITICAL to the Genesis. If the Z80 is missing or incomplete, Genesis games won't even run properly, never mind Master System games.

Sheesh, I'm not a clone expert, but way to not only misunderstand the question, but also proceed to be a complete A-Hole about it as well.
    Let me be perfectly clear: I've seen NUMEROUS people bringing up misinformation about Genesis 3/Geniclone compatibility issues, and I am CONSTANTLY repeating myself to correct this misinformation, getting more and more irritated as I go along. How do you expect me not to be a complete ***hole about it, huh? If I keep repeating the same thing over and over again, wouldn't you expect me to get pissed off?

It's the same deal with clone consoles. It gets me so f***ing irritated when people call them emulators(in the sense of software emulators). For the love of God, these clones are pure reverse-engineered hardware!! It's the same thing as taking the original hardware, replicating the chips and producing system-on-a-chip designs like NES and Genesis clones or producing discrete cloned parts like Super NES clones.
    Last edited by Ace; 03-02-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, upon some further research (http://segaretro.org/Sega_Mega_Drive#Mega_Drive_2), I found that you're completely right. My confusion (as I'm sure this is where the misconception arises) is probably that I've read "Only the Model 1 Genesis has a Zilog Z80," meaning that Zilog encompassed all of the Z80's (it's the Z's!), which would leave the other models and clones to deal with the Z80's capabilities in some other way. For example, when I open my Yobo FC3, it doesn't have anything strictly labeled "Z80." But that doesn't mean squat, is what you're saying, right? That the Z80 is still a piece of the system, just integrated. I'm pretty sure I read that misconception on -this- forum as well.

However, I still maintain that your approach was completely ridiculous. I can get upset about certain misconceptions about life and politics (i.e. the new one, that Obama has refused to drill domestically, or the one that floats around saying "There five weekends in this month, that only happens once every 2934e389 years), and maybe pressed enough times I would go off the fly about them. Even then, nothing productive would come out of that, so I wouldn't even be -right- to do that. But seriously, this is such a specific niche where there the very limited information about them that basically comes from wikis and forums forums. In other words, with life and politics, there's enough information out there--and usually arguments are more about logic than they are about misinformation. More importantly, though, those misconceptions affect peoples' opinions and votes--and thus affect me. With this, though, there's literally no way to extrapolate the functionality other than taking people's words at face value, or maybe applying some information from clone components to new ideas. Besides that, does it really matter that I didn't understand how the Genesis processed games? Really? Did it affect you negatively in any way?

And I mean, do you think you yourself have 0 misconceptions about anything, including clones? Just relax about this stuff, calmly clear it up if you want, and remember that no one is perfect. Yes, I expect you not to get pissed off. Because it really isn't a big deal whatsoever.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, upon some further research (http://segaretro.org/Sega_Mega_Drive#Mega_Drive_2), I found that you're completely right. My confusion (as I'm sure this is where the misconception arises) is probably that I've read "Only the Model 1 Genesis has a Zilog Z80," meaning that Zilog encompassed all of the Z80's (it's the Z's!), which would leave the other models and clones to deal with the Z80's capabilities in some other way. For example, when I open my Yobo FC3, it doesn't have anything strictly labeled "Z80." But that doesn't mean squat, is what you're saying, right? That the Z80 is still a piece of the system, just integrated. I'm pretty sure I read that misconception on -this- forum as well.
    Just because something doesn't say "Z80" on it doesn't mean the Z80 is missing. Many Genesis Model 2s don't have a Zilog Z80, but there's still a Z80 regardless. It could either be made by Zilog themselves, Sega or Toshiba(I've rarely seen Zilog Z80s in the Genesis Model 2 - only one of those I've personally come across has an actual Zilog Z80. All the others have either a Sega Z80 or Toshiba Z80). Later GOAC-based Genesis Model 2s and the Genesis 3 as well as all GOAC-based clones integrate the Z80 within the GOAC, so there's no way you can see it. It's similar to what Sega did with the YM2612. At first, Sega used the discrete chip, but when Sega made the VA7 motherboard revision for the Genesis Model 1, Sega took the YM2612's CMOS variant, the YM3438, tacked on a modified DAC and integrated it within a custom ASIC(this seems to have been done intentionally as the ASIC is CMOS, not NMOS like the YM2612). GOACs use a 1:1 replica of Sega's modified YM3438 as well, and this YM3438 sounds different from the YM2612, in particular with the volume level at which some notes are output.

By the way, what GOAC is in your FC3 Plus(the TCT-xxxx chip on the Genesis board)? I noticed my FC3 Plus has a completely different GOAC than the one I've seen in earlier revisions of the system, so I'd be curious to know A) when Yobo switched GOAC and B) if the FC3 Plus at one point used a GOAC I haven't seen before.

However, I still maintain that your approach was completely ridiculous. I can get upset about certain misconceptions about life and politics (i.e. the new one, that Obama has refused to drill domestically, or the one that floats around saying "There five weekends in this month, that only happens once every 2934e389 years), and maybe pressed enough times I would go off the fly about them. Even then, nothing productive would come out of that, so I wouldn't even be -right- to do that. But seriously, this is such a specific niche where there the very limited information about them that basically comes from wikis and forums forums. In other words, with life and politics, there's enough information out there--and usually arguments are more about logic than they are about misinformation. More importantly, though, those misconceptions affect peoples' opinions and votes--and thus affect me. With this, though, there's literally no way to extrapolate the functionality other than taking people's words at face value, or maybe applying some information from clone components to new ideas. Besides that, does it really matter that I didn't understand how the Genesis processed games? Really? Did it affect you negatively in any way?

And I mean, do you think you yourself have 0 misconceptions about anything, including clones? Just relax about this stuff, calmly clear it up if you want, and remember that no one is perfect. Yes, I expect you not to get pissed off. Because it really isn't a big deal whatsoever.
    What gets me worked up is when I have to consistently repeat myself to correct things I know are wrong. If something's proven wrong and I have to keep correcting people, I eventually lose my patience and respond the way I responded to you. It doesn't matter whether it's something of very little importance or something really important, if I have to repeat myself time and time again, I lose my cool.

Back on topic: I will have to exchange my RetroGen because this thing looks like it's about to die. When I tried to use it yesterday, it didn't work on ANYTHING until I hit the adapter. Sounds like the solder is bad inside the RetroGen, but since reflowing solder on surface-mounted chips always results in more problems for me(seriously, I will never reflow the solder on a surface-mounted chip like the TCT-6801 or other GOACs ever again), I might as well send it back and get another one.
    Last edited by Ace; 03-03-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back on topic: I will have to exchange my RetroGen because this thing looks like it's about to die. When I tried to use it yesterday, it didn't work on ANYTHING until I hit the adapter. Sounds like the solder is bad inside the RetroGen, but since reflowing solder on surface-mounted chips always results in more problems for me(seriously, I will never reflow the solder on a surface-mounted chip like the TCT-6801 or other GOACs ever again), I might as well send it back and get another one.
    Hopefully the return goes smoothly and quickly. I also hope that your second one is flawless, well at least as much as it can be.

I know you guys know quite abit more about clone systems then me. Are there any games that normally give these systems trouble? I'm going to pick up a handful of games today and do a mini stress test.

Here's another video I found incase anyone is interested. Now I'm really
    want a willy wars!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PcW7NsnPVY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Last edited by hellraiser; 03-03-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hopefully the return goes smoothly and quickly. I also hope that your second one is flawless, well at least as much as it can be.
    I'm first going to see if I can fix it myself as I might have found out what causes the RetroGen Adapter not to work on certain systems. It seems to have something to do with the Reset line on the Super NES cartridge slot. I'm not quite sure what's up with it, but just out of curiosity, I put some electric tape on pin 26 of the RetroGen Adapter and sure enough, it stopped working altogether until I removed the electric tape. I wonder what's going on with the Reset line on the RetroGen Adapter.

I know you guys know quite abit more about clone systems then me. Are there any games that normally give these systems trouble? I'm going to pick up a handful of games today and do a mini stress test.
    The only real problem game is Virtua Racing, and I've already confirmed the RetroGen Adapter is incompatible with it. I've also noticed some abnormal issues with two Genesis games:

-Super Street Fighter II: The game works, but the PCM samples come out as loud high-pitched garbage
    -Sonic 2 locked onto Sonic & Knuckles: Black screen

The former is really odd as the RetroN3 doesn't have this issue(and it runs on the exact same GOAC), but the latter just makes no sense. Again, back to the RetroN3, it works no problem with Sonic 2 + Sonic & Knuckles, and to top it off, even though the RetroGen Adapter doesn't work with Sonic 2 + Sonic & Knuckles, it works with Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles as well as Sonic the Hedgehog + Sonic & Knuckles(which gives you Blue Sphere).

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the defects on my RetroGen Adapter extend to the GOAC itself and not just whatever is hooked up to the Reset line on pin 26.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I hit the local flea today and picked a few games. I will add the working ones to the list. Wanted to mention I did find another copy of golden axe and it worked perfectly! Thanks again ace!

The real crazy thing is I picked up a copy of golden axe 2. After giving it a good cleaning I tried it and I started up fine. Now here is where it gets strange! The button lay out is way off! The D pad dosent work at all. Here's what I mean...

Action Snes button
    Jump A
    Attack B
    Magic Y
    Left. L
    Down. X
    Up. R
    Pause. Start

And best of all there's no right! Lol!
    If some can explain this I would be very interested!!!
    Last edited by hellraiser; 03-04-2012 at 03:28 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Golden Axe II won't work on real hardware with a 6 button controller. I'm sure something to do with that is causing the error.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Golden Axe II won't work on real hardware with a 6 button controller. I'm sure something to do with that is causing the error.
    I'll vouch for this as well. I too own the cartridge.
    Lum fan.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The real crazy thing is I picked up a copy of golden axe 2. After giving it a good cleaning I tried it and I started up fine. Now here is where it gets strange! The button lay out is way off! The D pad dosent work at all. Here's what I mean...

Action Snes button
    Jump A
    Attack B
    Magic Y
    Left. L
    Down. X
    Up. R
    Pause. Start

And best of all there's no right! Lol!
    If some can explain this I would be very interested!!!
    Golden Axe II doesn't work correctly with a 6-button controller and I'm not sure if the RetroGen Adapter maps the 6-button controller's Mode button anywhere. My guess is if the Mode button is mapped, it'd be on the Select button. Try holding the Select button before you turn on the console. If it doesn't work, Golden Axe II will be rendered completely unplayable due to inadequate button mapping.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Golden Axe II doesn't work correctly with a 6-button controller and I'm not sure if the RetroGen Adapter maps the 6-button controller's Mode button anywhere. My guess is if the Mode button is mapped, it'd be on the Select button. Try holding the Select button before you turn on the console. If it doesn't work, Golden Axe II will be rendered completely unplayable due to inadequate button mapping.
    Well I guess were putting golden axe 2 on the nonworking list. I tried select
    and some button combinations and got squat! Shame too because I've never played it and it looked pretty good. Oh well 4 bucks in the drain but I plan on using it for trade in value.

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    I'll vouch for this as well. I too own the cartridge.
    Is there any other button combo that will work as mode?

If some figures out something I couldn't please let us know.

http://www.dasreviews.com/forum/topic/retron-3-compatibility-list-usa

Going back to the retron3, I've found that ecco tides of time ,golden axe 2, mrs. Pac man and gauntlet iv were problem games. Mrs. Pacman for button mapping issues. Not sure about ecco and gauntlet.
    Last edited by hellraiser; 03-04-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I guess were putting golden axe 2 on the nonworking list. I tried select
    and some button combinations and got squat!
    Press Select ONLY. Do not press any other button. Hold Select before turning on the Super NES and keep holding the button until Golden Axe II boots. You can release the Select button after the game boots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Press Select ONLY. Do not press any other button. Hold Select before turning on the Super NES and keep holding the button until Golden Axe II boots. You can release the Select button after the game boots.
    Just tried again to make sure... It's a no go.

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hold Select before turning on the Super NES and keep holding the button until Golden Axe II boots.
    If you said that back in the 90's you would get some strange looks.

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So the RetroDuo Portable can play:

SNES
    NES
    Game Boy
    Genesis
    Master System

I gotta buy one.