Thread: Buy 2 get 1 free on select Vita games at GameStop starting today [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Buy 2 get 1 free on select Vita games at GameStop starting today [Joystiq]

In true local-furniture-store fashion, purchasing any 2 first-party Vita games on this list will land you a third title (also from that list) free of charge. The deal runs between now and February 25, and while it excludes non-SCE games, it'll help you save some skrill for a memory card.Continue reading Buy 2 get 1 free on select Vita games at GameStop starting today
    Buy 2 get 1 free on select Vita games at GameStop starting today originally appeared on Joystiq on Sun, 19 Feb 2012 11:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Works for me. I think I am going with Uncharted, Hot Shots and Modnation. I already have Wipeout.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Target is having its own buy two get one free deal in a few days but has all of their titles for sale rather then just first party. I really hope that sale includes pre-orders as well, definitely interested in picking up Unit 13.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    Target is having its own buy two get one free deal in a few days but has all of their titles for sale rather then just first party. I really hope that sale includes pre-orders as well, definitely interested in picking up Unit 13.
    Target's sale starts today and runs thru next Saturday. And as you already eluded to, Target's sale is a little better because it includes ALL Vita games and not just first party ones.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Target's sale starts today and runs thru next Saturday. And as you already eluded to, Target's sale is a little better because it includes ALL Vita games and not just first party ones.
    Actually, lots of people are reporting Target stores not allowing the titles to be sold until Wednesday and the register not doing the B2G1 without an override. I know I visited two Target locations in San Diego this morning and neither would sell any Vita games until Wednesday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Actually, lots of people are reporting Target stores not allowing the titles to be sold until Wednesday and the register not doing the B2G1 without an override. I know I visited two Target locations in San Diego this morning and neither would sell any Vita games until Wednesday.
    Thats weird for a couple reasons. First because it's in their actual Sunday circular ad and second because they actuaaly have Vita titles on display in stores with prices marked and stocked to sell. The only thing in the ad that might confuse some is the wording "PS Vita available Wednesday" but that doesn't say anything about the games and accessories that are already on store shelves. That just means that they can't buy a Vita until Wednesday, not the games. I wonder if Target Corporate will hand down a memo to let stores sell the games or if some stores will continue to make customers wait.

EDIT: I'm on Target.com now and the only Vita titles they have listed are Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz and Virtual Tennis 4: World Tour. However, you are still allowed to purchase them today.

If I were a potential customer I would take the ad into the store and ask them to show me where it says I can't purchase Vita games until Wednesday because it doesn't say that anywhere.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 02-19-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why are they doing this guys? Is it because of the poor sales overseas or something?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by rlemmon View Post
    Why are they doing this guys? Is it because of the poor sales overseas or something?
    This is one of the first systems with all games available at retail also being direct downloadable to console day/date (and with a discounted price for DLC versions).

Since profit for retailers on something like this is tied primarily to software and accessory attach rates, I guess they REALLY want people buying physical games, not downloading them ... physical software must either be priced in a way that they're not losing too much money per game on the B2G1F or they're coming close to breaking even. Seems like a cutthroat tactic, but big box stores like Target typically do loss leadership on week one product releases.

I'll take advantage of it and I was poised to go ALL digital on this console, so I guess it's an effective measure.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    This is one of the first systems with all games available at retail also being direct downloadable to console day/date (and with a discounted price for DLC versions).

Since profit for retailers on something like this is tied primarily to software and accessory attach rates, I guess they REALLY want people buying physical games, not downloading them ... physical software must either be priced in a way that they're not losing too much money per game on the B2G1F or they're coming close to breaking even. Seems like a cutthroat tactic, but big box stores like Target typically do loss leadership on week one product releases.

I'll take advantage of it and I was poised to go ALL digital on this console, so I guess it's an effective measure.
    While it's possible that this is the retailers entirely, I suspect that Sony is actually subsidizing the sales in some manner. Best Buy, Amazon and Target have all matched on their websites at this point, admittedly each with slightly different game mixes.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Thats weird for a couple reasons. First because it's in their actual Sunday circular ad and second because they actuaaly have Vita titles on display in stores with prices marked and stocked to sell. The only thing in the ad that might confuse some is the wording "PS Vita available Wednesday" but that doesn't say anything about the games and accessories that are already on store shelves. That just means that they can't buy a Vita until Wednesday, not the games. I wonder if Target Corporate will hand down a memo to let stores sell the games or if some stores will continue to make customers wait.

EDIT: I'm on Target.com now and the only Vita titles they have listed are Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz and Virtual Tennis 4: World Tour. However, you are still allowed to purchase them today.

If I were a potential customer I would take the ad into the store and ask them to show me where it says I can't purchase Vita games until Wednesday because it doesn't say that anywhere.
    They did actually send out a memo, but only games with street dates prior to 2/22 were authorized for sale. A number of games show up in the Target system as releasing today and the B2G1 register issue (i.e. not having to manually override to get the sale) was finally fixed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While it's possible that this is the retailers entirely, I suspect that Sony is actually subsidizing the sales in some manner. Best Buy, Amazon and Target have all matched on their websites at this point, admittedly each with slightly different game mixes.
    Yeah, maybe, but I certainly don't think it's based on any soft game/hardware sales in Japan.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Yeah, maybe, but I certainly don't think it's based on any soft game/hardware sales in Japan.
    Well, it's likely due to retailer pressure in response to soft preorders in the US. I know the Amazon free memory card and $20 credit on the Wi-Fi pushed me back into buying one at launch and I even bought six launch titles which I never do with any system launch through B2G1 at Amazon. I have seen a lot of similar stories in the past few days which is evidence to me that lowering the price on the hardware and software was the key to bringing around a lot of people on the fence. Hopefully the discounting doesn't hurt Sony's bottom line too much as a big part of their profit strategy (the fees from AT&T for new 3G subscribers and direct download sales) is probably not going to get anywhere close to their projections.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Well, it's likely due to retailer pressure in response to soft preorders in the US. I know the Amazon free memory card and $20 credit on the Wi-Fi pushed me back into buying one at launch and I even bought six launch titles which I never do with any system launch through B2G1 at Amazon. I have seen a lot of similar stories in the past few days which is evidence to me that lowering the price on the hardware and software was the key to bringing around a lot of people on the fence. Hopefully the discounting doesn't hurt Sony's bottom line too much as a big part of their profit strategy (the fees from AT&T for new 3G subscribers and direct download sales) is probably not going to get anywhere close to their projections.
    Well, whatever ultimately is behind this, I hope that it serves to grow the install base.

Seems to be working!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

If you haven't already I suggest checking out BestBuy's selection.

I originally wasn't going to jump on this deal because I already had Uncharted and Wipeout and once Target revealed the 10 titles they were offering the deal on weren't any of the preorders I was interested in, I saw little point. Best Buy however has all 20 of its Vita titles online participating in the offer which is about twice as many games as both amazon and target. I ended up picking up Dragon's Crows, LBP, and Rayman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    If you haven't already I suggest checking out BestBuy's selection.

I originally wasn't going to jump on this deal because I already had Uncharted and Wipeout and once Target revealed the 10 titles they were offering the deal on weren't any of the preorders I was interested in, I saw little point. Best Buy however has all 20 of its Vita titles online participating in the offer which is about twice as many games as both amazon and target. I ended up picking up Dragon's Crows, LBP, and Rayman.
    So, what the heck is going on with the Target promo, I'm seeing a ton of blogs and message boards reporting that they're not offering the B2G1 on all games, and that registers and managers are still giving people grief about the sale as of today, Wednesday.

I know we've got at least one Target employee in the community, can we get some clarity?

Is it only a select list of games that are B2G1 or is it all of them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I'm not sure but I know online of all the vita titles available only 9 are participating in the deal. Its a shame too I would of definitely gone with them if I could of preordered Unit 13 and Disgaea 3 but they simply aren't listed under the sale. Amazon could throw more games up in the next day or two but they have already taken down a few since the deal was made available.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I purchased the Vita at Amazon with Uncharted, Little Deviants, and Modnation Racers. I decided I would have waited a few months for some price drops, but the buy two get one free deal and the free 4GB card got me to buy it earlier. I'll be picking up Unit 13, Wipeout 2048, Resistance, LBP, and Dragon's Crown eventually.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.