Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Playstation Vita

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't really know why, but I've totally lost interest in portable gaming these days. Maybe it's because I'm spoiled by my giant TV screen or that my iPhone has taken over as an ersatz Game Boy (with amazing graphics, see Infinity Blade 2). I also don't really have any friends who have handheld devices to play against (as opposed to my 360, where I'm always talking to one friend or another). Anyway, even though the Vita seems like a great machine, I can't really see myself buying one anytime soon.

It wouldn't surprise me if sales for both the 3DS and the Vita are slow, because I think I'm not the only one with these views.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpman View Post
    I don't really know why, but I've totally lost interest in portable gaming these days. Maybe it's because I'm spoiled by my giant TV screen or that my iPhone has taken over as an ersatz Game Boy (with amazing graphics, see Infinity Blade 2). I also don't really have any friends who have handheld devices to play against (as opposed to my 360, where I'm always talking to one friend or another). Anyway, even though the Vita seems like a great machine, I can't really see myself buying one anytime soon.

It wouldn't surprise me if sales for both the 3DS and the Vita are slow, because I think I'm not the only one with these views.

Early Vita sales numbers are going to be really interesting, because it seems like there are tons and tons of people buying these things. Of course, my evidence of this is limited to my own experiences. I've been to a Best Buy to check the Vita out first hand, and they hardly had any games or accessories in stock. It seemed like just about everything was sold out, which is a pretty good sign for such an expensive piece of hardware, with limited marketing up to this point. Also, I listen to a shitload of gaming podcasts, and it seems everybody on the podcasts are buying their own Vita (most of them with their own money), and their friends and associates seem to be buying them as well. It was similar with the 3DS launch, but there seems to be a bit more hype with the Vita for some reason.

This could totally be a situation in which the podcast scenario is Sony preaching to the Choir, and the Choir running out and buying immediately. As for the Best Buy no stock thing, it's only one Best Buy, so it doesn't really mean all that much. We'll know by Summer how successful the initial launch was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So I fondled this thing for a few minutes today at WalMart. Beautiful screen, I couldn't even see the pixels until I put my eyeball through it. Played Wipeout and Uncharted.

They looked great but on such a small screen the details get lost amongst the action. I feel content with my PSP for now. Also, maybe it's just my lack of dexterity, but I kept hitting the right analog stick when I was trying to hit the face buttons. Everything is so small and squished together.

AND QUIT MAKING ME TOUCH THE SCREEN JUST BECAUSE!

I get it, the system has a touch screen. I don't want to push check marks to start the race, I want to press X like a normal person would, obviously. I actually like the idea of taking the rubbings in Uncharted though, at least that feels 'interactive' and not as much 'we just want to remind you again that there is a touch screen. TOUCH IT!'

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    So I fondled this thing for a few minutes today at WalMart. Beautiful screen, I couldn't even see the pixels until I put my eyeball through it. Played Wipeout and Uncharted.

They looked great but on such a small screen the details get lost amongst the action. I feel content with my PSP for now. Also, maybe it's just my lack of dexterity, but I kept hitting the right analog stick when I was trying to hit the face buttons. Everything is so small and squished together.

AND QUIT MAKING ME TOUCH THE SCREEN JUST BECAUSE!

I get it, the system has a touch screen. I don't want to push check marks to start the race, I want to press X like a normal person would, obviously. I actually like the idea of taking the rubbings in Uncharted though, at least that feels 'interactive' and not as much 'we just want to remind you again that there is a touch screen. TOUCH IT!'
    I know, the basic menu screens SORELY lack the ability to navigate with the d-pad and buttons.

Here's hoping that in a firmware or two we get the option to select and start things up without having to constantly poke the screen.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Early Vita sales numbers are going to be really interesting, because it seems like there are tons and tons of people buying these things. Of course, my evidence of this is limited to my own experiences. I've been to a Best Buy to check the Vita out first hand, and they hardly had any games or accessories in stock. It seemed like just about everything was sold out, which is a pretty good sign for such an expensive piece of hardware, with limited marketing up to this point. Also, I listen to a shitload of gaming podcasts, and it seems everybody on the podcasts are buying their own Vita (most of them with their own money), and their friends and associates seem to be buying them as well. It was similar with the 3DS launch, but there seems to be a bit more hype with the Vita for some reason.

This could totally be a situation in which the podcast scenario is Sony preaching to the Choir, and the Choir running out and buying immediately. As for the Best Buy no stock thing, it's only one Best Buy, so it doesn't really mean all that much. We'll know by Summer how successful the initial launch was.
    Well, the numbers this morning weren't exactly what I was expecting given the healthy launch I assumed happened based on visiting a number of stores last week. It looks like 600K units combined for both the US and Europe. While not terrible, it's not exactly stellar either, especially with all the discounting, free memory cards, B2G1, etc...

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/28/vi...lli/#continued

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was at Target today, and got to play the Vita for about 5 minutes while the wife was looking for some misc stuff. I ended up playing Wipeout. I'm a huge Wipeout fan. Absolutely adore the first two on PS1, and I also love Wipeout HD on PS3. The Vita wipeout "looks" really good, but it's running at 30 frames instead of 60, and the sensation of speed is really lacking. I kept hitting the turbo boosts, and even then it just doesn't seem like I'm going that fast. It really sucks, because other than that, the game seems pretty freaking amazing. It would easily be one of my most wanted Vita games, but a Wipeout game needs to seem fast, and this one doesn't. I'd still like to play more of it, but I'm a bit bummed out about it.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Wipeout on the Vita in 30fps doesn't mean that the sense of speed is gone, because it's still there. The game is even available in cross play with the PS3. The sense of speed is probably not there because you were probably playing in a low speed class. I was playing Wipeout 2048 on my friends Vita and another friend started a game up on the Vita and then later I joined his game on the PS3 and it seems to run cross play with no lag. Everything seemed fine to me.

--

About Remote Play for the PS3/Vita.

Sony has already said that they're currently working on an update that will allow the Vita to play all PS3 content through remote play, not just certain games. The Vita can already play all this content through remote play through a custom firmware PS3, but as for official firmware, not yet.

As far as I knew, what does it really matter? You had to set it up with the PS3 everytime you used it. You had to have access to a tv. I didn't know that once you set it up and then hit remote play on the Vita, it would automatically wake the PS3 from sleep mode and activate remote play. I also didn't know that you could connect to remote play through a wireless connection.

So once Sony gets that patch in to allow all PS3 games to work via remote play, the PS Vita will truly become a portable PS3. Anything on the console, and whatever game is in the console is playable from either home or any wireless connection.

I'm interested in the Wii U and that's one of the selling points for me. Being able to bring the Wii U around as a portable console as long as plugged up to a power outlet. But finding this out, the Vita just did a one up on the Wii U by not only being able to do the same thing, but by doing it at any wireless location, without me having to unplug my console it bring it somewhere with me.

Is anyone else interested in Remote Play because of this?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Wipeout on the Vita in 30fps doesn't mean that the sense of speed is gone, because it's still there. The game is even available in cross play with the PS3. The sense of speed is probably not there because you were probably playing in a low speed class. I was playing Wipeout 2048 on my friends Vita and another friend started a game up on the Vita and then later I joined his game on the PS3 and it seems to run cross play with no lag. Everything seemed fine to me.

--

Sony has already said that they're currently working on an update that will allow the Vita to play all PS3 content through remote play, not just certain games. The Vita can already play all this content through remote play through a custom firmware PS3, but as for official firmware, not yet.

As far as I knew, what does it really matter? You had to set it up with the PS3 everytime you used it. You had to have access to a tv. I didn't know that once you set it up and then hit remote play on the Vita, it would automatically wake the PS3 from sleep mode and activate remote play. I also didn't know that you could connect to remote play through a wireless connection.

So once Sony gets that patch in to allow all PS3 games to work via remote play, the PS Vita will truly become a portable PS3. Anything on the console, and whatever game is in the console is playable from either home or any wireless connection.

I'm interested in the Wii U and that's one of the selling points for me. Being able to bring the Wii U around as a portable console as long as plugged up to a power outlet. But finding this out, the Vita just did a one up on the Wii U by not only being able to do the same thing, but by doing it at any wireless location, without me having to unplug my console it bring it somewhere with me.

Actually, Sony has said nothing of the sort. There was a rumor printed by several websites last November that claimed Sony was working on universal remote play, but zero confirmation from Sony. Sure, it would be awesome if Sony implemented universal remote play, but it will likely also seriously impact Vita software sales if people have a full library of PS3 games to choose from. As such, I am very skeptical that they will ever release this purported patch. Personally, I have zero interest in playing PS3 games on the Vita. I want unique experiences that only the Vita and its unique features can provide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Wasn't aware that it was a rumor considering a lot of major news sites posted it without tagging it as rumor. Then again, journalism isn't what it used to be.

I think Sony needs to make it happen though. Rather than hurt the Vita, I think it would help it. Like Nintendo mentioned at E3 with the Wii U, there's the ability to have the game display on the touch screen and continue even if you lose access to a television.

Also how many people do you think are going to have access of constant wifi outside of their home, especially with most people usually playing portables within their homes. I highly doubt many sales would be lost by having all games playable with remote play. Even if some sales are lost, the ability to do remote play through wifi might actually cut down on the third party developers porting half their current gen library to the Vita. *cough*Ubisoft*cough.* Less ports, more exclusives. The way you're thinking of it is that everyone would just buy PS3 games and then forego purchasing anything for the Vita, which more than likely isn't going to happen. In the event that it did, even then it'd be making Sony money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sony squashed that rumor several days ago. Only games specially programmed to support it will have a remote play option. I believe the next Killzone is supposed to be the first example.

It's my understanding that Wipeout 2048 doesn't support cross play (Doesn't that refer to being able to actually play the Vita game on your PS3 ala the upcoming Motorstorm RC?), but that if you own the PS3 editions, you can download for free the PS3 tracks to play against PS3 owners online from your Vita.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Anybody either get the full game or play the Touch my Katamari demo?

I own every single Katamari game (including both iOS games) and this one has IMO the absolute fastest, best, most responsive controls out of all of them.

The jump mechanic carried over from the PS3 game and the Katamari morphing (stretch/pinch) with the back touch screen are great.

I see a lot of critics citing that the series hasn't evolved much and that this entry has some recycled levels/content, and where that is certainly valid criticism of any game that has never seemed to bother me SPECIFICALLY in a Katamari game.

As long as it's not part & parcel the same exact game as what came before I don't mind playing in the same environments or doing the same tasks.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    It's my understanding that Wipeout 2048 doesn't support cross play (Doesn't that refer to being able to actually play the Vita game on your PS3 ala the upcoming Motorstorm RC?), but that if you own the PS3 editions, you can download for free the PS3 tracks to play against PS3 owners online from your Vita.
    There's an option specifically for crossplay that will support all the Wipeout HD and HD Fury tracks. It won't support any of the new tracks or new ships though. However, it seems with Vita that only four of those tracks are unlocked from the start, or atleast I'm guessing, so you have to unlock them rather than being able to play all of them.

The thing is, my friend couldn't join my match I started with the PS3, but I was able to join his match he started with the Vita.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

--

actually from what ive read the wiiu tablet will only be able to play games up to a certain distance in a house, you cant take it with you say to school and play unfortunatly. the tablet streams from the console using some sort of transmission (blutooth?) it doesnt use a persons wireless network to do so.
    Last edited by dairugger; 03-01-2012 at 05:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Okay, so, here are some interesting findings.

The PSP software that is NOT listed on the PS Vita Store but is compatible via transfer from PS3 to PSV - knocks off your wireless internet connection if/when it accesses it for local multiplayer, and when you quit out of those games you'll need to power down and power up the Vita to get WiFi working again.

I noticed this with Capcom Classics and Flow, both of which automatically take over WiFi for local multiplayer. This didn't happen with SNK Classics Collection which IS on the PSV Store.

Interesting ... looks like the PSP functionality that uses WiFi for local multiplayer doesn't flip back over and the WiFi hardware doesn't reset when you quit the software. No huge deal, but that may be a reason why those games aren't available for purchase on the PSV Store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dairugger View Post
    actually from what ive read the wiiu tablet will only be able to play games up to a certain distance in a house, you cant take it with you say to school and play unfortunatly. the tablet streams from the console using some sort of transmission (blutooth?) it doesnt use a persons wireless network to do so.
    I know that. The console is required to be with you and hooked into a power outlet while the Vita can do so through any location that has wireless. Atleast considering that your PS3 on the other end also has access to the internet, wired or wireless. Reread the paragraph mentioning the Wii U.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know that. The console is required to be with you and hooked into a power outlet while the Vita can do so through any location that has wireless. Atleast considering that your PS3 on the other end also has access to the internet, wired or wireless. Reread the paragraph mentioning the Wii U.
    my mistake, see what happens when you post when your sleep deprived. :-)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm saving up for one, but I'm not in any hurry. I'm going to need one eventually for PlayStation Suite development, so the official launch of that will probably be the latest I can wait to buy one. In the mean time, I'm taking the opportunity to clear out my backlog and eBay/Amazon as much as I can. I want to be able to buy one without actually spending any money out of pocket. The more stuff I can get rid of, the better, because then I'll actually be able to play the darn thing without thinking about my backlog.

The launch lineup doesn't really jump out at me, though I'm a sucker for more Katamari. I never played Ninja Gaiden, so that might be on my list as well. I'd love to have BlazBlue on the go, but I just don't carry handhelds around with me as much as I used to. Those are the three that I added to my Goozex list, so hopefully people start trading Vita games soon.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I pre-ordered mine on the 21st of Feb (no sense giving my money away ahead of time , and this way I got to walk in on launch day without waiting in line or worrying).

I *love* the thing to pieces.

Picked up Uncharted and Rayman in physical format, and bought Super Stardust Delta and Mutant Blobs Attack over PSN, and love 'em all (though I've kinda put Rayman aside until I beat Uncharted).

I agree that Uncharted feels too much like a 'lets use the touch screen as much as possible, with a dash of camera' - but I'm still enjoying the story (I'm about half way though I believe).

The best use of the back touch screen was in the FIFA demo - dribbling in and using that back touch to indicate where I wanted to shoot was *fantastic*

Worst use was in the Facebook app. Mostly because it wasn't expected, so I couldn't figure out what was going on. I don't understand why they bothered, or why they can't make it configurable.

Call me crazy but I'm dying to see what they port over to it. (I'm secretly hoping Valve puts a Portal compilation on Vita, just because I'd *love* to play them again and have them in portable form). There's no reason they couldn't make an amazing Fallout or GTA for this thing.

Here's hoping the post-launch stuff keeps the interest up.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

So yesterday I finally received the Vita, my fault for ordering it the day of release instead of earlier to get the $.99 release day delivery and I'd like to reiterate how much I dislike the OS. It's never going to happen, but I'd really like it if they made a version you could control with the buttons. Also, like mentioning previously, I wish the settings were all in a single menu rather than having the system menu, holding down the screen for another menu, holding down the screen for a PSP menu, holding down the PS button for another menu, etc. Like I said previously. Leave the shortcuts, just add more options. Outside of those qualms, the OS is nice. Atleast you can keep it nicely organized.

So the only game I've played so far is Uncharted and got up to chapter 8. I'm not so bothered by the touch screen commands because they're starting to get further apart the more progress through the game I make and they weren't such a bother to begin with. It's quite clear the game isn't PS3 quality though. Not even close, but outside that it's very good. It's not as good as the other Uncharted games, but it's still befitting of the Uncharted name for how well done it is.

I still have Little Deviants and Modnation Racers to play, and will pick up Unit 13 and Wipeout on a price drop, but with just Uncharted the Vita feels like it was worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't like the way Sony are trying to throw the Vita down my throat on PSN.