Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Playstation Vita

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I can only speak for myself personally, but as somebody that owns a tablet, and a vita, and has just about every other portable gaming system in my house somewhere (two young boys), I can say that devices without buttons are pretty worthless for real deal game playing, regardless of the size. Angry Birds and Cut the Rope and all that is fine for a quick 5 minute diversion, but quite honestly, my tablet is more for surfing the net, and watching various videos, etc. I'll play the occasional game, but "real" gaming needs buttons and d-pad's or thumbsticks.

One thing that I can say about the Vita, it makes my PSP-3000 seem tiny. I never thought I would say that. But even after buying the Vita, I'll still ocasionally play on my PSP slim, and the size difference and heft in your hand, between a 3000 and the Vita is striking! I love the Vita to death, don't get it twisted, but the thing isn't exactly small. You're making room for that thing if you're taking it with you. It's not something you can just shove in a pocket. As large as the PSP-3000's used to seem, you can still take one of those and stuff it in your jeans pocket. You might not want to, but you can. You try doing that with a Vita, and you start to freakout because you think you're going to break the tiny thumbsticks. I know, I've actually tried to put the Vita in my jeans pocket. I immediately decided that I should abort, lol.

We all know the real reason is because they need a huge feature for the Vita 2000. At e3, all the developers had Vita's that were connected to lcd's with hdmi cables. It's surely easy for them to implement that. I think they avoided it much in the way that EA Sports holds back special features in all their sports games. They save it for next years version. I'll just have to sell my Vita, and buy one of the new ones, and take the hit.

You know, I've been thinking about trying out some of the software out there that lets you convert various videos to a compatible version for the Vita. I haven't tried anything yet. It would be cool to have a few movies on there. I did try Netflix on it today, and the results were surprisingly good. The Vita's screen is probably the smalllest screen I could live with, in terms of trying to watch Netflix. My son has a 3DS and we never tried Netflix on it, because the screen is so small , why bother? I mean, it might be ok, but the Vita screen is just that much bigger that it makes a difference.

Did you buy tron 2 off PSN or convert it onto the Vita ?
    im glad your feeling the love, lol. i converted tron 2 from a dvdrip i made. i used the latest Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate which has a setting for vita conversions.

i guess i was wondering why people remark how you cant carry vita around as a negative, yet in the same paragraph compare it to a tablet and dont notice a tablet is much bigger.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dairugger View Post
    im glad your feeling the love, lol. i converted tron 2 from a dvdrip i made. i used the latest Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate which has a setting for vita conversions.

i guess i was wondering why people remark how you cant carry vita around as a negative, yet in the same paragraph compare it to a tablet and dont notice a tablet is much bigger.
    I think it's because a tablet is used by people to replace much bulkier items like books, magazines, a laptop, etc...Having said that, I don't think the Vita is that large, although it is something that can't be easily placed in a jacket pocket like a Nintendo DS or a cell phone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't did it much much bigger than a PSP and I've never complained about the size of a psp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    I tried a Vita today for the first time at Best Buy. I was completely underwhelmed. I tried a few demos, inclucing FIFA, Hot Shots Golf, and Wipeout.

What's up with the load times? It seemed to take forever for Wipeout to load. I'm not sure how they have the games on the demo models, if there is just one cart with all the games or what, but it was ridiculously slow.

The screen was nice, but I didn't see a quantum leap over the PSP. And when I started to see how much it would cost for the system, a memory card, a simple case, and 2 games, it was easy to walk away without buying it.
    My very first experience with the Vita was at a Best Buy as well. I had listened to people raving about the screen on various gaming podcasts, and I remember coming away a bit disappointed after seeing it at Best Buy. I think a big part of that is the overhead fluorescent lighting. Seriously. I now have a Vita in my home, and under the right lighting conditions, the screen is absolutely drop dead gorgeous. Especially with games like Rayman Origins or Hot Shots Golf. (Note: don't play Vita in a totally dark room. The screen will make your eyes water. You need some background lighting somewhere)

As for the load times, I will agree with you on that. The load times in Wipeout are especially frustrating. Wipeout has the worst load times of the various vita games that I've played, but they all seem to have more loading than I was expecting.

As for the cost of the system, I couldn't agree more. $249.99 for the Wi-Fi version isn't that bad a price considering the technology that is packed into the thing, but the problem is all the nickel and diming of the Vita. The memory card thing is a real big problem. There really isn't any excuse for not having at the very least 4 gigs of built in memory as a standard. The PSP Go had 16 gigs built in. You'd think the Vita could manage at least 1/4th that. So, yeah, the memory card thing really makes the price jump up. Then there is the cost of the games. $39.99 plus tax is a lot to swallow. Some places are doing B2G1 deals, so you end up getting the games for about $29 each, but yeah....

I'm just as sensitive to pricing as you are. That's why I turned to Craigslist. Check your local Craigslist, because the Vita has been available for about 40 days or so, so any used Vita's that are floating around out there are likely still in very good condition. At the 40 day mark, you're going to have some people who bought it on day 1, and the honeymoon is over for them, and they have to make their rent, and they just don't have the money. I was able to get a 3G Vita for $190 straight up. That's like buying it a thrift store for $176.99 plus tax. I don't think anybody in their right mind, that saw a 3G Vita in a thrift store for $176.99 plus tax wouldn't buy the thing. You can also find memory cards and games on Craigslist as well. I found a guy that had an "extra" 32 gig memory card, and he wanted $80 for it, but I talked him down another 11 bucks, and got it for $69. I got Wipeout for $22 used, and I also got Fifa Soccer for $23.75 used. (I did make a bit of a mistake with Wipeout, because the online pass was already used, and I didn't know that any Vita games had online passes)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

Anyone up for a game of fifa? Deftonian90.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Slipdeath View Post
    Anyone up for a game of fifa? Deftonian90.
    I'm still getting beat regularly by the CPU, lol. So, I haven't even tried playing people online yet. When I get my skills up a bit, I'll send you a PM, heh...

Is it just me, or does the CPU's players get really physical with your players when trying to jostle for position to attempt a shot at goal? I was playing Fifa 09 on the PSP before getting a Vita, and in Fifa 09 (which is an outstanding PSP game by the way) I can score with great regularity, but it seems to be much more difficult to find open space for taking a good shot in the Vita Fifa game. Of course, I've only had the game a couple of days, and my son has actually played the game more than I have. I hope to get some more gametime in very soon though, and hope to improve my game a bit.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How are online passes handled? Is it a printed key or tied to the game card?

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Who uses pockets? That's why they invented the shoulder bag.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    How are online passes handled? Is it a printed key or tied to the game card?
    Printed key, which is tied to the account, not the cart/card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

I'm still getting beat regularly by the CPU, lol. So, I haven't even tried playing people online yet. When I get my skills up a bit, I'll send you a PM, heh...

Is it just me, or does the CPU's players get really physical with your players when trying to jostle for position to attempt a shot at goal? I was playing Fifa 09 on the PSP before getting a Vita, and in Fifa 09 (which is an outstanding PSP game by the way) I can score with great regularity, but it seems to be much more difficult to find open space for taking a good shot in the Vita Fifa game. Of course, I've only had the game a couple of days, and my son has actually played the game more than I have. I hope to get some more gametime in very soon though, and hope to improve my game a bit.
    Haha sounds good. I'm not doing so hot myself, but considering everyone uses top ranked european clubs, while I use my mediocre Guadalajara squad, I'd say my skills are sub-par. To be honest, I find it hard not to score using the rear touchpad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Slipdeath View Post
    Haha sounds good. I'm not doing so hot myself, but considering everyone uses top ranked european clubs, while I use my mediocre Guadalajara squad, I'd say my skills are sub-par. To be honest, I find it hard not to score using the rear touchpad.
    I turn the rear touchpad off.

I was trying to find a way to play with the rear touchpad, but too many times I end up accidentally shooting the ball, because one of my fingers just ever so slightly touches the back of the Vita. It was really pissing me off, so I just turned the damn touchpads off. Both front and back. I'm perfectly fine with a thumbstick and buttons for a game like Fifa.

Do you ever accidentally shoot when you didn't mean to? You must have learned to keep your fingers away from that back touchpad unless specifically choosing. I tried to do that, but just wasn't very good at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

I turn the rear touchpad off.

I was trying to find a way to play with the rear touchpad, but too many times I end up accidentally shooting the ball, because one of my fingers just ever so slightly touches the back of the Vita. It was really pissing me off, so I just turned the damn touchpads off. Both front and back. I'm perfectly fine with a thumbstick and buttons for a game like Fifa.

Do you ever accidentally shoot when you didn't mean to? You must have learned to keep your fingers away from that back touchpad unless specifically choosing. I tried to do that, but just wasn't very good at it.
    I don't have the biggest of hands, so it was only a problem when I specifically tried to keep my hands of the rear touchpad, causing the slightest touch to shoot. It picks up when my hands are resting pretty well I feel. Then again, I just lost 4-0.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

So I did some vita sopping the the last couple of months about bought these:

PSVita PDP Trigger Grips

CTA Digital PS Vita Hand Grip

Bluecell PS Vita Grip

So yeah..I have a thing about portable console accessories. They were each pretty cheap going from 15, 12, and 8 bucks in order listed above and are just plastic grips with no extra function in them. I just wanted to post a short write-up on what I found with all of these aftermarket grips for the console if anyone was interested in picking any up.

The PDP Trigger grips are consistently the most expensive but are the ones I ended up liking the least over time. I initially really liked the changes to the vita's shape and rubberised satin-ish material their coated and the extended triggers were a nice touch. However over time those initial positives turned to negatives. The rubberized coating although looks and feels nice is somehow very slick with or without sweaty palms and that coupled with the shape makes you readjust your grip over and over again. The grip itself also doesn't give you much more to hold onto outside of the small "wings" at the bottom of the console over the stock Vita. The biggest problem though are the trigger grips which because of design can have lag over just pressing the Trigger buttons without them. Ultimately I found this grip disappointing, which is why I ended up picking up the other ones.

I picked up the CTA grip because many who had similar complaints in amazon reviews of the PDP grips recommended this instead. I think out of all of them it is very comfortable but they still use the same rubberized satin-like coating of the PDP grips which makes them very slick. This is less of a problem here since you have really large "wings" that your hands can really hold onto. However being so large is a problem as well as I had to readjust my hands to comfortable use both the analog sticks and d-pad/face buttons..which again led to similar problems as the other grip. Another disappointment is that because its so large I had to readjust my hands again to access the full rear touch panel and I am not someone with small hands. It does have a very solid locking system that will not let your Vita go but as a downside it covers several ports on your Vita so you can't change games and you cant charge the thing while its locked in.

I ended up buying the bluecell as a "why not" when I saw it was only 8 bucks and ended up liking it the most. Its feels cheap being made of pretty standard black plastic with the only notable texture on the grips. Its also shaped more or less like the PDP Trigger Grips except for instead of a mostly flat back it has two large grips for your fingers and palm to rest in. The plastic though cheap doesn't slip from my hands like the rubber-satin stuff did and its comfortable without hindering access to any of the control surfaces like the CTA grips did. Its also an open design like the PDP grips so everything is accessible while the vita is in the grip. My only concerns are that they feel durable but its probably less resistant to warping out of shape with repeated removing and inserting of the vita then the other higher grade grips and they use a piece of plastic around the triggers that can be annoying at times until you account of it.

So overall the Bulecell grips are definitely my favorite thus far. I might post up comparison pictures if/when I find my camera since the size difference in some of these is pretty dramatic.

I also picked up some Analog Covers and they were a great improvement over the stock analog tops to the Vita. Each pack comes with a couple of different glue applied D-pad covers(useless) and several sets of rubber stretch-on analog stick covers that stick to your thumbs much better then the stock vita design. I highly suggest you check these out too if your having issues with the sticks becoming too slick.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

As long as this thread is up, I'll share this here as well ...

I've noticed that the PSP software graphic enhancements/filters can cause some instability/crashing.

If you notice that PSP software crashes to dash or freezes up mid-game turn off all of the built-in smoothing/color filters. I've found that to help.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 04-30-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

XSeed is releasing Ragnarok Odyssey and Orgarythm in the US.

http://www.gamesradar.com/ragnarok-o...merican-vitas/
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

[quote=metacritic]PlayStation Vita / PSP

Three out of 2012's four highest-scoring handheld games (not including iOS) were found on the PlayStation Vita, and the first-year platform also edged out both Nintendo handhelds in average Metascore for 2012 releases. The Vita also managed one 90+ release: Persona 4 Golden, a port of the PS2 game Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4.

The number of scored 2012 releases for Nintendo's 3DS and Sony's Vita were virtually identical (77 vs. 76), but nearly 45% of the Vita's games received positive reviews compared to just 31% of the 3DS titles. Nintendo, of course, still has the edge where it counts: in hardware and software sales.

3DS 2012 Avg. Metascore 66.2
    DS 2012 Avg. Metascore 67.6
    Wii 2012 Avg. Metascore 67.9
    Wii U 2012 Avg. Metascore 68.6
    360 2012 Avg. Metascore 69.5
    Vita 2012 Avg. Metascore 69.7
    PS3 2012 Avg. Metascore 70.3
    PC 2012 Avg. Metascore 70.3
    PSP 2012 Avg. Metascore 71.2 *
    * = Includes Minis, also compatible with PS3 and Vita

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/be...of-2012?page=1
    http://www.metacritic.com/feature/be...of-2012?page=2

Originally quoted by yurinka in Neogaf forums. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...03346&page=209
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-03-2013 at 02:06 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.