Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Playstation Vita

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You could also look into Craigslist. Who knows. You might be able to find a mint condition Vita that someone wants to sell for $150 to get their crack fix.
    I saw somebody selling a Vita on my local craigslist for $200. Almost wanted to go after it, but I just wonder about CL ads like that. Makes me think that somebody is going to try to pull a jack move (if you know what I mean). I mean, normally, Craigslist is relatively safe if you meet somebody in a public place, but whenever I see deals that appear too good to be true, I start to wonder.... Like... "Did the guy drop it on the cement, and maybe it still works, but occasionally acts strange, and maybe I won't notice it until dude is long gone?"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My copy of BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend came from Amazon today. I've only had time for a few arcade rounds, but the experience made me forget that I was playing a handheld. That screen really sucks you in. Looooooove the clicky buttons.

I've noticed that the screen has some issues with solid colors, particularly grays. It almost has a washed out, inconsistent grain to it in non-moving solid areas. Again, I'm holding it maybe 8" from my eyes, and it looks better when I hold it in my lap, but I haven't heard anyone else talking about the screen's shortcomings. Also, I play sometimes with the lights off, and I'm noticing inconsistent backlight splotches when the screen is showing all black. It's not a problem in normal lighting.

Are we finally at the point where printed instruction manuals are a thing of the past? I see that there's a clip to hold one in the case, but there isn't one. Trading complete games on Goozex is going to be interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I started looking at Ebay for a deal on a gently used Wi-Fi Vita. As far as I can tell, the best way to get a deal is to buy a bundle of stuff, and then hope that the price you paid for the individual items makes sense, even if they weren't exactly what you were looking for. At first, I was hoping I could score the basic Vita hardware for $170, an 8 gig mem card for another $22 and one of the few Vita games I want (Uncharted, Fifa or MLB) for $23. A hard or soft case that looks relatively decent for say $9. Basically, I'm willing to pay about $224 for a bundle that includes 1 game, a 8 gig card and some kind of case. Unfortunately, on Ebay, such a package is going for about $20 more than that.

Still, there have been a few people who have snagged used Vita's for a great price. I saw one guy get a Vita shipped for $175. Pretty amazing. Was the lowest one that I saw.

On Craigslist, sellers are trying to get more for their Vita's. I've made a few offers, but nobody wants to come down far enough. On Ebay, you can definitely get a Wi-Fi Vita for $195 (although you might have to get it with a couple of accessories that you may or may not want). The guys on Craigslist want $225 or $230 for used Wi-Fi Vita.

Gamestop will actually sell a used Wi-Fi Vita for $199.99 plus tax (it's about $216 after tax for me). Of course, very few GameStops actually have a used Vita for sale. $216 is better than the $225 or $230 that Craigslist peeps want, but Ebay is better at about $190 to $195. Just be prepared to add in another $13 for a 4 gig memory card, or another $25 for 8 gig memory card, or another $10 for a case, etc, etc. You have to buy a bundle of stuff to get a decent deal...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even if you get an outer case, I think you'll still want to pick up a screen protector. I'm noticing that fingerprints are less of a problem now that I've applied one of the Sony plastic ones. Considering how much you have to touch the screen, I'd think those things are essential.

I played some more BlazBlue last night, this time with headphones. Sound is decent, but a lot of the voices are muffled. I don't think that's the hardware's fault though. It's either compression or bad recording. Music sounds great.

The screen resolution is just right. 3D stuff looks excellent when rendered at full resolution, while sprites remain clean. I played the demo for ModNation Racers and there was some kind of low-res upsampling going on, which made it look awful. When the full resolution is used, it really does look console-quality. Of course, stylized graphics help in this area. Uncharted didn't look as clean as it could be to me.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    The screen resolution is just right. 3D stuff looks excellent when rendered at full resolution, while sprites remain clean. I played the demo for ModNation Racers and there was some kind of low-res upsampling going on, which made it look awful. When the full resolution is used, it really does look console-quality. Of course, stylized graphics help in this area. Uncharted didn't look as clean as it could be to me.
    I've noticed that none of the first party Sony titles run at the native resolution of the screen. Few titles I have played (Marvel vs Capcom for example) actually do.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    I've noticed that none of the first party Sony titles run at the native resolution of the screen. Few titles I have played (Marvel vs Capcom for example) actually do.
    How are you gauging that assessment?

Is there something on the device that outputs details of the resolution that games are running at?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lower resolutions look more aliased when upscaled. Just look for jagged edges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Lower resolutions look more aliased when upscaled. Just look for jagged edges.
    Right, but, in regards to the indication that
    ...none of the first party Sony titles run at the native resolution of the screen.
    I'm not seeing how that's being determined with certainty.

While I don't doubt that on a case-by-case basis, some game engines/software may not be taking full advantage of the maximum resolution that the system is capable of achieving, that statement reads to me like "my copy of Uncharted is only outputting in 480i on my 1080p TV" if there's some feature on the Vita which checks the resolution that a game is running at and displays it somewhere (which on a developer level I'm sure there is) I'd be really interested to know.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    How are you gauging that assessment?

Is there something on the device that outputs details of the resolution that games are running at?
    You can tell just by looking at them. Non-native games have a much softer, flatter look. Jagged edges aren't necessarily a part of it. Run Ultimate MvC3 or Dynasty Warriors, and look at how sharp everything is from the characters to the backgrounds. Pop in any Sony game and look at how soft it is. Ridge Racer is another one that lacks the precision in the visuals because of a lower resolution.

I have a feeling that there's a filter that smooths these games out to hide the lower res, but in the end, it just makes it more obvious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

You can tell just by looking at them. Non-native games have a much softer, flatter look. Jagged edges aren't necessarily a part of it. Run Ultimate MvC3 or Dynasty Warriors, and look at how sharp everything is from the characters to the backgrounds. Pop in any Sony game and look at how soft it is. Ridge Racer is another one that lacks the precision in the visuals because of a lower resolution.

I have a feeling that there's a filter that smooths these games out to hide the lower res, but in the end, it just makes it more obvious.
    Okay, so we're just making a visual assessment. Just making sure that I wasn't missing something in the OS that would report stats of what resolution the game was running at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Okay, so we're just making a visual assessment. Just making sure that I wasn't missing something in the OS that would report stats of what resolution the game was running at.
    No, nothing internal. Wasn't anything I picked up on until I saw something running native.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No, nothing internal. Wasn't anything I picked up on until I saw something running native.
    Hasn't Eurogamer among other sites been doing their own analysis using external devices? I'm pretty sure you're visual analysis is similar to what they found.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

Hopefully I get a quick response (before GS closes), I need the opinions of the Vita guys. I've decided to purchase a Vita, but not whether to save some money by buying it used or buy it new. What are some pros and cons of both?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A used one might have cosmetic damage. Also, make sure it includes the charger and (if you care about them at all) the AR cards.

Don't hold me to this, but I think GameStop has a pretty good return policy on used hardware. Check with them on that before you buy one. If you find out that one of the analog sticks is dead or the rear touchpad is always registering input, you don't want to be stuck with it.

Also, see if it has a screen protector already on it. If it does, look for any scratches underneath it without actually removing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

A used one might have cosmetic damage.
    Yeah, and the Vita's mirror finish plastic scratches pretty easily.

I had mine in a case that had those elastic bands that stretch over the system to keep it from falling out and they rubbed some fine micro-scratches into the finish ... which prompted me to snip them out with a scissors.

So, if the previous owner doesn't treat the system with a delicate touch, expect the potential for scratches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, I ended up getting a Vita today. A guy on Craigslist was selling a 3G Vita for $250. I offered him $190 and surprisingly he accepted. I honestly didn't want a 3G vita, I just wanted the regular Wi-Fi. I'm slightly concerned about battery usage in regards to the 3G models. I know that you can turn the 3G off, but sometimes there is still a slight drain of the battery in regards to that, and that would really suck. 3G's weigh slightly more than the Wi-Fi models, but it's imperceptible. At least it appears to be. Still, $190 straight up isn't a bad deal. The guy took great care of the thing. It was absolutely immaculate. He said that everything was perfect with it. I tried all the buttons out and everything appears to be working just fine.

Unfortunately, that $190 deal didn't include anything else. Just the Vita and the charger cable. No memory card or anything else.

The good news, is that I had found this other guy on Craigslist that was selling a 32 gig Vita memory card for $80. I offered that guy $69, and he accepted. I met this other guy about 15 minutes after just getting the Vita from the first guy. Got the memory card, which was brand new, factory sealed. Popped it into the Vita just to make sure it's legit, and everything was cool. Dude somehow ended up with a second 32 gig card that he didn't need. $69 is a lot to pay for a memory card, but considering they go for $100 on Amazon, saving $31 is nice indeed. I honestly won't be purchasing all that much in the way of downloadable games (I like to resell things), but I like the fact that I have the big 32 gig card, and I can download tons of demos and not have to be worried about erasing things, etc, etc. The 4 gig cards kinda seem like a waste, and the 8 gigs are pretty small too. The 16 gig is way overpriced, imo.

Anywho, I'm currently downloading all the demos and can't wait to try some of the games.
    Last edited by WCP; 03-23-2012 at 11:36 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My 8Gb card seems to stay about half full. A lot of the demos are only 200Mb or so, and I delete them when I'm done. I have two demos, Motorstorm RC, Killzone Liberation, Little Big Planet, and Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion War (thanks PSN sale), and I have 3.5Gb free. That's more than enough for me to carry around. I'm sticking with retail box games as well, so all I need a card for is PSP games and demos. Heck, I could get by with a 4Gb card. If I ever run out of space, I may just get one of those for cheap.

In agreement with a lot of the reviews I've read, it seems to be designed for people who already own a PS3. If you DO download all your games from PSN, just keep them on your (most likely) larger PS3 hard drive and only take with you what you're playing at the moment.

I don't know about you guys, but I think Remote Play is still useless. There's not much you can play, and it's too laggy to play anything well. I can't play Mega Man X4 with off timing. It's a neat gimmick, but it's not as polished as it could be. If the Wii U controller streaming doesn't perform better, then I'm worried. Scaling seems off too. My biggest complaint so far is the lack of scaling options for non-Vita content. I just want centered, unscaled output options, like the PSP had for PSX games.

People complain about the buttons being too small, but I don't have a problem. The D-Pad, on the other hand, might be a little small. Unlike other Sony D-Pads, it's not "segmented." For fighting games, I preferred the segmented pad. It makes it easier to hit the direction you want, without worrying about rocking it toward a diagonal. When you DO want to pull off a diagonal, it's great. I just keep getting diagonals when I want to press down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Now that I've had my Vita for a full day, and tried out a TON of demos, here are my current impressions:

1. The screen is gorgeous - Obviously, this is the first thing that jumps out at you. It's a big screen, and it sure is purdy. I did try a Vita at a Best Buy and a Target, and wasn't unbelievably impressed with the screen, but much of that is probably due to the overhead fluorescent lighting kinda washing out the screen. You get this thing home, in a normal home environment, and the screen is a show stopper.

2. The Vita is a pretty big device - Sliding this thing into a pocket is going to be pretty difficult. I think the size of the Vita could end up being a problem long term. It's almost too big to be a portable game machine that you constantly take with you, but it's a bit too small when compared to 7 inch tablets. So, it's kinda in a no-mans land. It's perfectly fine for me, because I won't really be taking it everywhere with me. I'll use it mostly at home, and whenever I go on a trip out of town or something.

3. The buttons are tiny - The buttons and the D-Pad are really small. No getting around that. Looking at the overall size of the device, because of that huge 5 inch screen, they had to cut some corners somewhere, and the size of the D-Pad and buttons got shrunk as a side effect. The X button is VERY close to the right thumbstick.

4. Ergonomics are so-so - Ergonomically, it's not the most comfortable device to hold in your hands. I thought that because it was so much larger, it would actually be more comfortable than a PSP, but that doesn't really seem to be the case. I think part of it is the back touchpad. I'm almost wishing the back touchpad didn't exist. I think they could have more of a contoured back to rest your fingers on, but they had to be mindful of that back touchpad.

5. Memory card prices are redonkulous - One of the most difficult things about selling the idea of the Vita to friends, is the memory card part of the equation. The PSP Go had 16 gigs of internal memory. I think it would have been absolutely trivial in the grand scheme of things for Sony to have included the same for the Vita. But, it seems that they hope to supplement any lack of profits in the hardware by gouging people with the memory card prices. A 4 gig card is almost not even worth bothering with. I couldn't even begin to imagine how much it would suck to constantly have to erase demos, and clear space, just to download another demo. The 8 gig card is a little better, but still overpriced. The 16 gig is really overpriced. The 32 gig is WAY overpriced, but in the long run, might be the best value.

6. No TV out is criminal - Look, I know a big part of the reason that it doesn't have a TV out, is because of the touchpads. You could link a DualShock 3 controller with bluetooth, and have your Vita sitting right next to your plasma or LCD display, but what about games that require the use of the front or rear touchpads? Still, you'd think that you could just use the Vita as the controller (not as ideal, but....), and just have a long wire running all the way to the TV.

As far as the games go, I've tried a TON of demos. Right now, my favorite games are: Wipeout 2048, Fifa Soccer, Hot Shots Golf, Uncharted, Stardust Delta and Unit 13. I was especially impressed by Hot Shots Golf. Talk about freaking gorgeous. The thing is, I have Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2 on my PSP, and it's amazing game, even to this day. I still think that game looks kinda next gen on a PSP. So, when I heard about Hot Shots on the Vita, I kinda poo-poo'ed the idea of playing it again with a slight bump in resolution. Well, I was certainly mistaken. Hot Shots Golf on the Vita is a stunner. At least what I can tell from the short demo. Might be one of the most graphically impressive Vita games I've seen so far. You might wonder what the heck I'm talking about, because it's just a golf game. Well, there is just so much detail and crispness to everything onscreen, all the indicators and swing meters and everything. It's just so freaking vivid. I give it MUCH respect.

I'm still just barely scratching the surface with all the various Vita demos, so I'm sure I'll have more to talk about in regards to the quality of games. The good news, is that there are at least 6 or 7 outstanding Vita games, and that's more than enough for an early adopter to settle in with. I ended up buying Fifa Soccer and Wipeout 2048 from a guy on Craigslist. Got Fifa for $24 and Wipeout for $22. My next mission is to get a copy of Hot Shots for around 20 beans. I plan on getting Stardust from PSN at some point, but I have more than enough to play around with for now, so I'll hold off of that temporarily. I'm also hoping to find a used copy of MLB 12 The Show on Vita. I love playing sports games on portables for some reason....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

So, right after DP was hacked I found this on craigslist. The whole set was brand spanking new, despite coming with a few useless accessories. It ran me 320, but the upside was that I went into walmart and returned the unwanted accessories and walked out with a starter kit and some change. I'll post my initial thoughts--I will say I'm loving it though.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slipdeath View Post
    So, right after DP was hacked I found this on craigslist. The whole set was brand spanking new, despite coming with a few useless accessories. It ran me 320, but the upside was that I went into walmart and returned the unwanted accessories and walked out with a starter kit and some change. I'll post my initial thoughts--I will say I'm loving it though.
    Probably not a good idea to post about committing return fraud here or anywhere for that matter.