Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BigPapaHusker
    PSN
    BigPapaHusker

Default Older PC Games

I found the following at a local Goodwill and was curious if they are worth anything.

I found one eBay auction for Silent Service II, but it was the 5 1/4 floppy version. I didn't find anything on the sealed Sim City Expansion.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Pc games are so ify. I think its a flavor of the month kinda thing one day 1 particular game will sell crazy money then next day it won't.

I would imagine though the expansion would be nothing because its a expansion and all but who knows.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa Husker View Post
    Send a PM to phreakindee here on DP. He's a Maxis collector, if anyone knows about that game it'd be him. He'll probably buy it from you if he doesn't own it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only a very small percentage of PC games have a good resell value and even those are somewhat worthless without the box and manuals.

Some of the same rules from console gaming applies to PC games; RPGs and adventure games tend to resell for more and sports games aren't worth the plastic that they're printed on.

In the case of the Sim City game yet another rule applies; people will pay more for sealed copies. I don't think that your expansion would be worth more than $20ish (if that) but who knows, you may find the right person and luck out.
    Last edited by Griking; 02-21-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've collected PC games since I was little... saved most all my games and I'm always on the hunt for ones I remember playing!!

As for values I'd just say to check completed ebay listings. Most games just aren't worth much BUT many are worth way more than you'd think!!

Sadly a ton of my collection is floppy-only. Many didn't have boxes due to being from mail order software houses. You older gamers know what I mean

Older pic of my collection back at my parents house below. It's all packed away now waiting for me to get a house someday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Send a PM to phreakindee here on DP. He's a Maxis collector, if anyone knows about that game it'd be him. He'll probably buy it from you if he doesn't own it.
    Now this is an incredible find! Seriously, this is easily one of the rarest Maxis games ever produced. It was only ever available for a short period of time, and sold in very small numbers mostly through mail-order, before it was just bundled in with the CD Collection and Special Editions of SimCity 2000. It took me years of searching online to find my copy, and I had to import it from the Netherlands!

Value is all in the eye of the beholder though, as there are very few that collect such games and they rarely pop up. I paid $30 shipped for my CIB copy of Great Disasters, but I've never seen another copy actually sell to average the price out.
    Last edited by phreakindee; 02-27-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

neat find how much did you pay for it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phreakindee View Post
    Now this is an incredible find! Seriously, this is easily one of the rarest Maxis games ever produced. It was only ever available for a short period of time, and sold in very small numbers mostly through mail-order, before it was just bundled in with the CD Collection and Special Editions of SimCity 2000. It took me years of searching online to find my copy, and I had to import it from the Netherlands!

Value is all in the eye of the beholder though, as there are very few that collect such games and they rarely pop up. I paid $30 shipped for my CIB copy of Great Disasters, but I've never seen another copy actually sell to average the price out.
    I realized halfway through this post that I was hearing your voice in my head. I'm scared.