Thread: Sony's Rohde: proprietary Vita cards 'completely necessary' to combat piracy [Joystiq

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Sony's Rohde: proprietary Vita cards 'completely necessary' to combat piracy [Joystiq

Sony's Senior VP of its Worldwide Studios organization, Scott Rohde, tells Gamasutra that long software droughts, as experienced by the PSP, won't be the case with Vita.

"This time around, we started planning for development of [Vita] about three years ago, in terms of developing for the software, and how we were going to be able to transition," Rohde says. "I think that there were too many droughts of killer titles [for PSP]. There were too many long droughts, and I think we recognized that. And we've put a serious investment into our long-term PS Vita plans, so there's a lot of stuff in the works."

Of course, lack of software wasn't the only reason the PSP didn't see the success here it did in Japan -- piracy and the ineffective measures to protect the UMD format from it played a large part. Rohde says it was one of the first concerns, and one that he thinks Sony has addressed. "We needed to have something that would combat piracy from day one, and that's why the cards that you can purchase for the games are in their own proprietary format. And these days, so many people say the word 'proprietary' is a bad word, but it's something that we felt was completely necessary to make sure that people could not pirate these games. I mean, it's a custom security solution on each one of these cartridges. That is something that we are confident will protect us from piracy for the long term."

These topics are just a few in the massive interview with Rohde. Hit up the source link below to read the rest.Sony's Rohde: proprietary Vita cards 'completely necessary' to combat piracy originally appeared on Joystiq on Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:45:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

The Vita WILL be cracked...it's only a matter of time.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Yeah PSP hackers ended up bypassing UMD entirely, rather than defeat it. I'm not aware of any bootleg games.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even if the cards were uncrackable, it wouldn't matter. All software will be available on PSN and that's what will supply the pirates.