Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a Retro Gaming Club

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Building a Retro Gaming Club

Wanted to share this with the folks who enjoy retro gaming around here: http://www.indiegogo.com/Retro-Gamer-Club?a=447134

A friend and I have been making websites about games (and writing for other game sites) for a good while now, and we are interested in getting a Retro Gamer Club site started. We're trying to get on the crowdfunding bandwagon, so I thought I would share the link for people to take a look at what we are planning and let us know if it is something you are interested in, or consider donating to.

However, I'm not just looking for money here, I'm actually hoping for suggestions. Things you like about our proposal, things you think are missing, things you would add, etc. You can post them as comments on the Campaign itself, or just post them here in the thread, and I want to hear everything from everyone.

Also, even if you don't have any cash to spare or ideas for things we could add to the site, I'd like to get an idea of people who are interested in the idea of the club. We're hoping to have a good amount of buzz going by the time we launch so that we can have a decent size community, and it'd be great to hear that some of the folks around DigitPress are interested.

Thanks!

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Just wondering how this club will differ from a forum site like DP? I mean besides adding the word club it sounds to me that you're just trying to start another forum site...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoProcess View Post
    Just wondering how this club will differ from a forum site like DP? I mean besides adding the word club it sounds to me that you're just trying to start another forum site...
    I'm with Vertigo on this one. Unless your "club" actually meets together in a physical location (i.e. not over the internet), how is it any different than Digital Press or any other forum?

I wish there was a retro video game club 'round where I live, actually. Whenever friends or guests play retro video games at my house, it is always a "novelty" thing, which saddens me slightly. I do enjoy seeing people playing Super Mario Bros. or Duck Hunt again for the first time in years, but the event is almost invariably followed with comments about how bad the graphics are, how they can't believe they ever played games like this, or other stupid comments that confirm that they fail to see the magic that I see. Eh...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

You have to pay money for the club?
    lmao

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

After reading the stuff on indiegogo (which is a amazing site for people that don't know about it, you should check out some of the stuff on there) I see so many flaws in your plan. Like how do you plan on providing people games to play as a community altogether at once? Were you planing making these games available for free? Because there are such things as copyright laws... if you're planing on paying for the rights of these games (monthly as it says) its gonna be a hefty bill. In which to pay you'll need to charge a fee to people that are using the site (which I might say no one is gonna wanna pay).

Besides that asking for money to start a forum site really isn't something id want to do, esp going to another forum site and asking for money when said forum site is being provided for free and the creators are paying out of pocket out of the goodness of their hearts...

Id suggest paying start up out of pocket and using ads to pay yourself back and cover operating cost and then once having a following asking for optional donations to get ride of the ads.

And I too have the problem with not having anyone to retro game with beside friends that want to play sonic for like 10 min when they come over and then get bored of it. Although I do have this site to thank since I do know of some people in my area that retro game.
    Id suggest posting a thread in this forum looking to see who's in your area and then organizing your own meet up. This site has all the tools you need to start your own retro gaming club in your area, ya know?
    Last edited by VertigoProcess; 02-23-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I would only be interested in joining some sort of club if there are physical meetings in my area.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    You have to pay money for the club?
    lmao
    sounds like a real club to me..

Just without this

PASS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Four months ago, I started a local gaming club with a website

http://www.cowlitzgamers.com/

We meet at a local burger/arcade and every month we pick a theme of games to play and I bring stuff from my collection as well as bring TV sets to play on. It is open to the public. We plan to have shirts made some day, but the premise is to hang out, have fun, play games, and enjoy what this hobby is all about.

I would not call what you are doing a club.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

I don't think I would join an online-only "club." I have enough forums to keep track of as it is. That said, I'd love to start/join something locally. A coin op club would be an awesome thing to gather about.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    Four months ago, I started a local gaming club with a website

http://www.cowlitzgamers.com/

We meet at a local burger/arcade and every month we pick a theme of games to play and I bring stuff from my collection as well as bring TV sets to play on. It is open to the public. We plan to have shirts made some day, but the premise is to hang out, have fun, play games, and enjoy what this hobby is all about.

I would not call what you are doing a club.
    I like this idea, im guessing you have a agreement with this burger arcade joint to let you bring in all this stuff?

Id be cool if we could start a section of this forum dedicated to people starting local meet ups like this.
    Hardware Collection

Insert Coin (Level 0) VideoGameRescue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Rebel Minja

That sounds fun. It could help local video game stores. People forget to support private owners first. =[

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Id be cool if we could start a section of this forum dedicated to people starting local meet ups like this.
    that would be cool
    be like the good old days where you go out with your buddies to the arcade to chill out and play games and such.

car forums i am on have dedicated area sections and then split that off for meets and such and i can see this forum being able to do something like this.

Who wants to start a game meet in northern vermont ?!?!?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Clearing things up

Perhaps the campaign doesn't explain things well enough, so I thought I'd clear a few things up for people.

1. You don't have to pay to join the club. We are trying to crowdfund the start up costs associated with creating the site, but you'll never have to pay to join it, that's insane. And pretty clear if you were to read either my original post or the campaign site, so I'll chalk that one up to skimming or reading comprehension issues, lol.

2. It isn't just a forum site...you can start a forum site for like $10 or less in 15 minutes. We wouldn't need to raise any money at all for that. RGC will be a full featured site that will have forums for people to meet up on, but the main draw is the site content itself. We'll be doing retrospectives for the games we are playing, showing the influences that the games had on the industry as a whole, getting interviews with classic game designers, and more. Basically a regular game site, but focusing specifically on retro games and having in depth features on whatever game or series the Club happens to be playing at the time. We'll also be having podcasts and videos, all the things that make a website...well, a website.

3. It would be awesome to do an actual, in person 'club', but for many people, it just isn't going to happen. A retro game fan is the odd man out these days in many places. The point of RGC is like an internet book club (they exist!) in that people play a certain amount each week (3 levels each week for a 12 level game, for example) and then get together to chat, jump on the forums, and join in on the podcasting to talk about the things they experienced during that specific stretch of time. As for getting the games, many people who are interested in such a thing will probably have loads of old games to play anyway. If not, we're trying to facilitate getting those games to people in the cheapest way possible, but if there was a game you weren't interested in owning, you just wouldn't play along with the group for the month. You could still see what people think about it, read the retrospectives and interviews and everything.

Basically, the idea is based on the 'Backlog' segment that 1UP and other sites have done, but with a focus on older games and a much more in depth look at the design process, influences etc. Hope that cleared up the idea for people a little bit. I can tell we don't have a lot of interest around here, but hey...at least I sparked the idea of people creating little clubs in their areas!

Anybody in Grand Rapids, MI wanna play some retro games?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Hello, retro gaming website. I am a new user to your community and I have come here to advertise the fact that I am creating a site to compete with yours, and I would like to siphon off your users. Thank you, and give me money.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    Hello, retro gaming website. I am a new user to your community and I have come here to advertise the fact that I am creating a site to compete with yours, and I would like to siphon off your users. Thank you, and give me money.
    *sigh*

Despite the fact that the two ideas are not similar in any way? I highly doubt anyone would say "I can only go to one site about retro games, so I guess I had better decide which I choose!" It's a neat little idea that people really enjoyed when it was just a subcategory of our old website, so we decided to expand it a little and see if anyone was interested in playing some games and learning more about the history of them along the way.

And to be fair, I've been coming to DigitPress since I was like a child, I just don't bother using forums in most cases. Just wanted to share the idea with a robust community of retro gaming fans and get a feel for the interest/pick up some good ideas. Thanks for replying though, the internet doesn't have nearly enough snark on it, particularly where forums are concerned.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey folks, I'm Mat Growcott, joint partner in this along with Joe Ryan. I'm going to try to answer any concerns I can. If you don't want to donate, awesome, we're not expecting people to instantly love this idea just because we do, all I ask is that you keep an open mind and consider taking a look when we work things out.

A very good question and something we have to justify (since a lot of you have focussed on the club aspect of the title).

First, let's define club:

club/kləb/
    Noun:
    An association dedicated to a particular interest or activity.
    A heavy stick with a thick end, esp. one used as a weapon

The club in the title refers to books clubs, as Joe said. The idea is to instantly bring up the idea of people sitting around and discussing a creative work. Of course, going by the definition above, it's perfectly fair to call it a club anyway.

Onto your actual question: the forum section of the site isn't going to differ a great deal from any other forum site. With that said, forums are the same almost universally and, ultimately, it doesn't matter which forum you go to but what its about and who's there. The important difference between the Retro Gamer Club forums and any other forum, I feel, is focus. I've taken a quick look around these forums and they're great, but there's so many different topics and conversations going on that it's impossible to take in everything.

Sure, I have no doubt that we'll offer social forums (perhaps even some form of instant messaging) and a forum dedicated to a wider retro topic, but the important point is that as much of the group as possible is playing the same game - seeing the same things as everybody else. What's important isn't that people are sitting around talking about these games, but that they're discussing them with their peers. Take, for instance, if somebody brand new came along to this forum and posted an 800 word essay on the significance behind Mario's main colour being red, how would the community react? It's for that sort of thing that we want to cultivate our community, although hopefully we'll stimulate more interesting conversation that that.

On top of that, the website will contain features about the chosen game, interviews, reviews, videos and diaries. We're not just playing these games together, we're dissecting them. It may be that you can get these things elsewhere, but I think we'll be one of the first, if not THE first, to bring them together in the way which we plan.

Like how do you plan on providing people games to play as a community altogether at once? Were you planing making these games available for free? Because there are such things as copyright laws... if you're planing on paying for the rights of these games (monthly as it says) its gonna be a hefty bill. In which to pay you'll need to charge a fee to people that are using the site (which I might say no one is gonna wanna pay).
    We definitely won't be providing people with games to play - we WILL be seeking ways of getting exclusive discounts on applicable games, although this is in its early stages and I don't have exact details. On top of that, we don't expect everybody to play, or even try, every game, that's ridiculous. Games will be voted on by the community each month, so it'd be nice to think we'd keep everybody happy but the chances of keeping everybody around each month is 0%.

If you have these games, as many of the people interested in joining a website like this will have, then brilliant. As sleazy as it sounds, we're not going to ask too many questions about how people are playing these games though - that's up to them and they do whatever they do at their own risk - and the important thing on our end is that they participate in the discussion on the website and in the forums.

Id suggest paying start up out of pocket and using ads to pay yourself back and cover operating cost and then once having a following asking for optional donations to get ride of the ads.
    It's a fair suggestion and something that we'll be doing to some extent whether we get the money from Kickstarter or not. Like any other kind of start-up business (not just another games blog), we need a good deal of initial funds. We figured we had nothing to lose from spreading this idea around for a couple of months and getting some backing, learning what people want, before going ahead and spending hundreds of dollars on something we really need a little more money for.

Don't get me wrong, we're willing to put our time and money into this project (neither Joe nor I will take any sort of wage from this until its profitable enough to do so), but we have certain expectations - a custom CMS, the ability to pay our writers for contributions - that we couldn't really do without funds directly for the project.

As charming as the way you worded this is, you have a point. Why SHOULD any of you people give money to an idea by people you don't know and that seems like something you can already do?

Simply put, you shouldn't. We're not going to starve if you don't give us your money, we're not here to give you a hard-sell. Joe posted here because he thought some of you might like the idea and want to get in on the ground floor, we didn't expect anything to come of it especially. As it happens, as a group you've brought up some good points and you've not only made us think about our project but justify parts of it, which is great.

Of course, if you want to help by donating: thank you, and give me money.

---

A couple of other things:

Some of you have mentioned the online/real life thing. Ideally, we'd like to think our members could get together to do this but, ultimately, its something that's easy enough to organise without our help. Creating some sort of actual club would be great, but it lacks the practicality of doing something online, especially with all the options that brings.

I think I answered almost every major point, but I'm happy to answer questions, complaints or whatever as best as I possibly can. As I say over on the project page, at the very least we want people to enjoy this project as much as we do and we can only realize that goal if people challenge us and get us to explain ourselves. Perhaps someone will see the answer, nod their heads and come join us when we launch.
    Last edited by Mat Growcott; 02-24-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I would only be interested in joining some sort of club if there are physical meetings in my area.
    There's nothing in Utah that I'm aware of, maybe we could start...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mat Growcott View Post
    Hey folks, I'm Mat Growcott, joint partner in this along with Joe Ryan. I'm going to try to answer any concerns I can. If you don't want to donate, awesome, we're not expecting people to instantly love this idea just because we do, all I ask is that you keep an open mind and consider taking a look when we work things out.

A very good question and something we have to justify (since a lot of you have focussed on the club aspect of the title).

First, let's define club:

club/kləb/
    Noun:
    An association dedicated to a particular interest or activity.
    A heavy stick with a thick end, esp. one used as a weapon

The club in the title refers to books clubs, as Joe said. The idea is to instantly bring up the idea of people sitting around and discussing a creative work. Of course, going by the definition above, it's perfectly fair to call it a club anyway.

Onto your actual question: the forum section of the site isn't going to differ a great deal from any other forum site. With that said, forums are the same almost universally and, ultimately, it doesn't matter which forum you go to but what its about and who's there. The important difference between the Retro Gamer Club forums and any other forum, I feel, is focus. I've taken a quick look around these forums and they're great, but there's so many different topics and conversations going on that it's impossible to take in everything.

Sure, I have no doubt that we'll offer social forums (perhaps even some form of instant messaging) and a forum dedicated to a wider retro topic, but the important point is that as much of the group as possible is playing the same game - seeing the same things as everybody else. What's important isn't that people are sitting around talking about these games, but that they're discussing them with their peers. Take, for instance, if somebody brand new came along to this forum and posted an 800 word essay on the significance behind Mario's main colour being red, how would the community react? It's for that sort of thing that we want to cultivate our community, although hopefully we'll stimulate more interesting conversation that that.

On top of that, the website will contain features about the chosen game, interviews, reviews, videos and diaries. We're not just playing these games together, we're dissecting them. It may be that you can get these things elsewhere, but I think we'll be one of the first, if not THE first, to bring them together in the way which we plan.

We definitely won't be providing people with games to play - we WILL be seeking ways of getting exclusive discounts on applicable games, although this is in its early stages and I don't have exact details. On top of that, we don't expect everybody to play, or even try, every game, that's ridiculous. Games will be voted on by the community each month, so it'd be nice to think we'd keep everybody happy but the chances of keeping everybody around each month is 0%.

If you have these games, as many of the people interested in joining a website like this will have, then brilliant. As sleazy as it sounds, we're not going to ask too many questions about how people are playing these games though - that's up to them and they do whatever they do at their own risk - and the important thing on our end is that they participate in the discussion on the website and in the forums.

It's a fair suggestion and something that we'll be doing to some extent whether we get the money from Kickstarter or not. Like any other kind of start-up business (not just another games blog), we need a good deal of initial funds. We figured we had nothing to lose from spreading this idea around for a couple of months and getting some backing, learning what people want, before going ahead and spending hundreds of dollars on something we really need a little more money for.

Don't get me wrong, we're willing to put our time and money into this project (neither Joe nor I will take any sort of wage from this until its profitable enough to do so), but we have certain expectations - a custom CMS, the ability to pay our writers for contributions - that we couldn't really do without funds directly for the project.

As charming as the way you worded this is, you have a point. Why SHOULD any of you people give money to an idea by people you don't know and that seems like something you can already do?

Simply put, you shouldn't. We're not going to starve if you don't give us your money, we're not here to give you a hard-sell. Joe posted here because he thought some of you might like the idea and want to get in on the ground floor, we didn't expect anything to come of it especially. As it happens, as a group you've brought up some good points and you've not only made us think about our project but justify parts of it, which is great.

Of course, if you want to help by donating: thank you, and give me money.

---

A couple of other things:

Some of you have mentioned the online/real life thing. Ideally, we'd like to think our members could get together to do this but, ultimately, its something that's easy enough to organise without our help. Creating some sort of actual club would be great, but it lacks the practicality of doing something online, especially with all the options that brings.

I think I answered almost every major point, but I'm happy to answer questions, complaints or whatever as best as I possibly can. As I say over on the project page, at the very least we want people to enjoy this project as much as we do and we can only realize that goal if people challenge us and get us to explain ourselves. Perhaps someone will see the answer, nod their heads and come join us when we launch.
    I'm sorry, but for all the "information" you have just posted, you still haven't explained how this is any different than literally dozens of other websites already out there, none of which are begging people they don't know for money. If you are serious about this idea, you and your partner should pool your financial resources and build a site. If people find it valuable enough, I'm sure they would consider donating at that point. Coming here with an unoriginal idea asking for money when you and your partner aren't even well known or established members of the community (I love that he posted he has been coming here for years and yet somehow posted from a brand new account) is the epitome of naivety and frankly, a good sign that your idea will never come to anything meaning anyone who donates is throwing money down a hole.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I'm sorry, but for all the "information" you have just posted, you still haven't explained how this is any different than literally dozens of other websites already out there, none of which are begging people they don't know for money. If you are serious about this idea, you and your partner should pool your financial resources and build a site. If people find it valuable enough, I'm sure they would consider donating at that point. Coming here with an unoriginal idea asking for money when you and your partner aren't even well known or established members of the community (I love that he posted he has been coming here for years and yet somehow posted from a brand new account) is the epitome of naivety and frankly, a good sign that your idea will never come to anything meaning anyone who donates is throwing money down a hole.
    Actually, I've explained more than once how it would be different; for the sake of saving people time, I'll explain again. With a focus on a single game and while encouraging people to post longer, more detailed posts, the community section of the site will be dedicated to intelligent discussion of well-known and rarer classics of the past. Focussing on a single title at a time will mean that we can enjoy dissecting the game at a much slower pace. This would be but a single facet of the site, used by general community to discuss the monthly title. Feel free to share with us sites that you feel have implemented the full range of things we've mentioned in this thread, though, because I think perhaps you'll be surprised.

I also don't especially like the term begging. Kickstarter/Indiegogo is full of ideas, some which you'd think are good, some which you'd think are bad. There's a kid on there trying to get people to give him money so he can pay his way into the E3 convention, THAT is begging. Please see the difference: we are after small donations towards something that the people who donate may enjoy. If you're not one of those people, as you've made clear, that's fine, don't donate.

We're not trying to put one over you, matey, I'm trying to be as reasonable and open as I possibly can and I can't say it more clearly than: if you don't want to donate, don't donate.
    Last edited by Mat Growcott; 02-24-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

At this point id strongly suggest you pay your site start ups out of pocket like everyone else and stop insulting the intelligence of the good people of dp(we really don't need a dictionary.com definition of the word "club"). If your site is worth visiting then you can make your money back (although you mention that you guys had a site in the past, which ill take to mean it failed). All it seems you're doing here at this point is gaining a negative reputation with one of the bigger and wider ranging retro gaming communities
    Hardware Collection