Thread: New discovery - N64 Grey Turok Rage Wars cart

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Default New discovery - N64 Grey Turok Rage Wars cart

I am shocked that I didn't hear anything about this when these carts were recalled. Did anyone here know about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOBJE...59AUAAAAAAAAAA

More info was found here.

http://www.supercheats.com/nintendo6...hen-I-do-a.htm

"I have a question. When I do a 2-player trial with a friend, we never earn the COPPERTIVE award. It's the last medal I need to have all of them. The resaon being we can't get it, everytime we do Frag Tag (also known as Tag the Monkey), it says mission fail. My cousin told me that he'd seen on a site that it's because it's a black game, not a gray one. They also do make Grey ones, but you'll have to send your black* one in to trade for a grey one."

When Akklaim went under I contacted employees and bought rare items including this Turok axe and I still had no idea that this grey cart fix existed.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jordandavid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I live for this kind of discovery! I whipped out the debit card immediately, but the auction is SOLD OUT damn it!! Did anybody from DP scoop up a couple of these? I would pay more than the ebay price, but nothing ridiculous. Please PM me if anybody got a couple, so we can make a deal. Thanks!
    Last edited by jordandavid; 02-24-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    Just my two coins.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same here. So sad to see they were all gone just 1 day after that video was posted. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Same here. So sad to see they were all gone just 1 day after that video was posted. :/
    I am SURE that some of the buyers will quick flip these on ebay in the next week or so but after those sell who knows how much it will cost you to get one. I'd be on the lookout and jump on the first one you see with a semi-reasonable price. I've never heard of this cart and imagine it will be the last cart many need to fill a N64 collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I am on the hunt for one for my collection. Dang I missed out
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate assholes that buy a ton of a could be rare item just to flip them at inflated prices. Hope all of you who do this crap are reading, cause you are total fucking piece of shit and a total disgrace to the vintage gaming community, fuck all of you who do this shit!!!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) cheaterdragon1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought one! The seller demanded that everything was shipped priority only, so I had to spend $24 on the shipping.

I remember my brother and I playing the game when we where much younger. We hated those money levels and apparently those are the glitched ones.

This will be a great addition to my collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheaterdragon1 View Post
    I bought one! The seller demanded that everything was shipped priority only, so I had to spend $24 on the shipping.

I remember my brother and I playing the game when we where much younger. We hated those money levels and apparently those are the glitched ones.

This will be a great addition to my collection.
    so you didnt buy just one then, shipping should only be like $4 priority if it was 1 cart....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    so you didnt buy just one then, shipping should only be like $4 priority if it was 1 cart....
    No it was $23.25 for USPS Priority Mail International. I only bought 1 cart. I low balled him $10.99 and he took it.

I'm not a re-seller if that's what you were getting at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheaterdragon1 View Post
    No it was $23.25 for USPS Priority Mail International. I only bought 1 cart. I low balled him $10.99 and he took it.

I'm not a re-seller if that's what you were getting at.

DAMN, so ur in a different country then? thats a crazy shipping cost for a single cart, even international shipping.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I think Parodius Duh! was hoping to sniff out a heinous bulk buying, cart flipping, heartless villain only the small detail that you are in Canada and the seller is in Texas escaped him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drixxel View Post
    Yeah, I think Parodius Duh! was hoping to sniff out a heinous bulk buying, cart flipping, heartless villain only the small detail that you are in Canada and the seller is in Texas escaped him.
    It's pretty stupid because I could live at the bottom of Ontario, and the seller could live at the top of New York and it would still cost that much for shipping.

If your interested in getting a cart of this, I suggest waiting a couple of days for everyone to get theirs in the mail, and then sniffing around Nintendoage. Nintendoage is where someone found the auction, and only then did the sales start going up with many people buying more than one.
    Original thread:
    http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...threadid=64859

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    I hate assholes that buy a ton of a could be rare item just to flip them at inflated prices. Hope all of you who do this crap are reading, cause you are total fucking piece of shit and a total disgrace to the vintage gaming community, fuck all of you who do this shit!!!!!!
    This is funny!
    edit.... becuase the guy that sold all 120. Actually bought and sold them.
    Last edited by RASK1904; 02-26-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    In yo face!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Huh. Well, I'll be damned. So I clicked on this topic since it sounded interesting and looked through the links and such, and it got me thinking "I know I have Turok: Rage Wars, and I don't remember it being black..." I fished it out, and, lo and behold, it's a grey US cart. I never had any idea before that this cart was anything unusual. If I remember correctly, I simply picked it up used from an EB or GameStop several years back for a couple bucks. I guess whoever owned it before must've been a big fan that noticed the glitch and was aware of the recall.

Well, if anyone finds out any more information, I'd definitely love to know how rare it is and what it'd be worth. But to preempt any potential PMs, I'm not interested in selling.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm surprised that no one seems to have heard of this. I had these in stock at $9.99 at the GOAT Store until just recently when we had a run on them, apparently when the "news" broke that they were a rare variant. I am pretty sure I've had them listed for at least five years.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    I'm surprised that no one seems to have heard of this. I had these in stock at $9.99 at the GOAT Store until just recently when we had a run on them, apparently when the "news" broke that they were a rare variant. I am pretty sure I've had them listed for at least five years.
    There is a small group of die hard color variant collectors but what makes this one special is that it fixes a glitch on a recalled cart. As for why no one knew about this they were hurting for cash and must have kept this on a hush hush basis to save money.

I'm sure if you would have listed this as the glitch free or mail order only cart on your site it would have sold much quicker.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Shit, this is rare? I thought it wasn't, I'm pretty sure I've spotted a few of these over the years (but since I don't give a fuck about the N64...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    There is a small group of die hard color variant collectors but what makes this one special is that it fixes a glitch on a recalled cart. As for why no one knew about this they were hurting for cash and must have kept this on a hush hush basis to save money.

I'm sure if you would have listed this as the glitch free or mail order only cart on your site it would have sold much quicker.
    There is no confirmation yet that it truly is glitch free, nor that it is mail order only. The way that I purchased all of our copies years ago would have indicated neither as very likely. The glitch thing I might agree with, but since you have to play co-op to figure it out, it isn't something I've done with that game (I can't say that I play every game the GOAT Store carries, sorry ). I labeled them as grey, and maybe it was just that no one was looking for that variant. All I'm saying is that the eBay auction most definitely wasn't the first known discovery of that cart.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan View Post
    All I'm saying is that the eBay auction most definitely wasn't the first known discovery of that cart.
    It appears some people did know a grey cart existed and less that it was a replacement cart which fixed the bug in the black cart. The discovery if you can call it that was only to the collecting community.

Since the "discovery" a few threads have been uncovered where Turok players describe the bug and the way to fix it by sending the cart back to the company for the grey cart replacement. The few people who did care enough to do so later traded in their carts when they moved on to the next system. The fact that these carts were later found in used game store inventories does not discredit the story. Finding none in used game store inventories would be more suspect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus