Thread: Launch Price of Sega Genesis 3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Launch Price of Sega Genesis 3?

I bought a Sega Genesis II for 80 bucks in the Summer of 1995 from a shady game store, I just wanna see if I waited if I could have bought a Sega Genesis 3 new for around the same price.

Its a question from my childhood that always irks me even today.

Edit, nevermind I just saw it wasnt released until 1998.
    Last edited by ReaXan; 02-27-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They were $50 when released in 1998. The SNES was $75 at that time, but Nintendo dropped their price sometime that year to match Sega, because of the good sales of the Genesis 3.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

I think it was put out by Majesco and licensed by Sega and assembled in mexico. They are not very reliable and won't work with every game.
    I remember wanting one in 1997. Glad I have my Model 2 now instead.
    I got the SNES model 2 in jan 1998 for 50$

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

I remember seeing them for $59.99 at Toys R Us, I believe, and I'm glad I didn't get one, once I heard that you were probably better off with a GOAC.

On the other hand, the good part is they came packed with a 6-button pad.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Better off with a GOAC? I assume you're talking about Genesis clones (although I thought Genny clones usually relied on emulation unlike SuperNes and NES clones)? If you were, that's terribly incorrect (I own several of the better recieved Genesis clones of the past 2 or 3 years and have owned a Genesis 3 since the late 90's).

Clones usually aren't compatible with the same things the Genesis 3 wasn't compatible with (Virtua Racing, for instance), are incompatible with even more games than that with many other issues (Where as the Genesis 3 is fully compatible with virtually the entire library of actual Genesis games), have terrible audio where as the Genesis 3 has no issues in the sound department (Other than being mono only), etc. Beyond not working with the Game Genie, the 32X and the Sega CD, it gets the job done just fine without issue. It has good compatibility (Past 99% I bet for Genesis software or darn close to it), is far better built than modern clone systems, has a halfway decent controller (Not as good as the 1st party efforts, but still a decent controller), accurate audio, and good composite output (Considered better than any of the revisions of the Genesis 2).

Mine has given me good service over the last 14 or 15 years after buying it for $29.99 at Ames or Hills after the MSRP was dropped in response to Nintendo's $50 price point. Beyond a small handful of Genesis games (Gargoyles is another one with issues on the Genesis 3), it runs Genesis software 100% which is something no Genesis clone can do. It was never meant to hook things like the 32X and Sega CD up to it so you can hardly fault it for that (And why would you want to hook them up to one beyond to see if it would work?). It gets the job done well for just playing regular Genesis games which is the job it was intended for.

It doesn't deserve to be relegated equal to or below modern day clones. It's far closer to officially built hardware in terms of quality than it is to a modern day clone.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-27-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Didn't Genesis 3 use GOAC too? I don't recall the hardware actually containing Majesco parts either. Distribution is rather different from manufacturing or publishing.
    Lum fan.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Genesis 3 is miles better than any of the Genesis clones. All the Genesis clones have issues with loading certain screens while the games that do work on Genesis 3 play the same as they would on the Genesis 1 or 2. Back in the day of using RF instead of composite, I also had thought RF output looked better on my Genesis 3 than the Genesis 1 or 2 I had.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i picked mine up brand new at a kmart for 20 bucks in 2000. a heck of a deal, really. its a nice sized and solid console.

if you are concerned with playability and quality, you should not own a model 2.

if that is indeed a concern, the first run model 1s are the only way to go

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    I bought a Sega Genesis II for 80 bucks in the Summer of 1995 from a shady game store, I just wanna see if I waited if I could have bought a Sega Genesis 3 new for around the same price.
    I bought my Model 2 from an Electronics Boutique around that time (give or take a few months) for 30 bucks. It was missing the cover to the Sega CD expansion slot, but included a 6 button controller.