Thread: Solution to space issues and needing money - deciding what forms of systems to keep

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Default Solution to space issues and needing money - deciding what forms of systems to keep

I know how a system's box usually greatly increases the value of a system, but they take up so much space. I never really meant to collect the boxes for hardware because of this. I am thinking it would be in my financial interest to get cheaper, unboxed systems after selling my boxed ones. And also maybe sell alternate forms of systems that I don't really need. This thread is to discuss best solutions and best possible setups performance-wise.

One of the issues that arises is TurboGrafx-16. I have a perfect boxed one that I am sure would be a great idea to sell. But I also have a working TurboDuo without box with no issues yet. If I sell my TurboGrafx-16 and rely on the TurboDuo, what I have is a ticking timebomb that won't allow me to enjoy my games until a repair once that capacitor does go out. I also noticed, generally TurboDuos are rare and fetch a high price.

Would importing an unmodded PC Engine Duo-R without box, but with all cords generally cost me less money than I will make from selling my US Turbo Duo without box? If that's the case, then I may sell my TurboDuo for a Duo-R and sell my boxed TurboGrafx-16 for an unboxed TurboGrafx-16. If this works the way I want it to, I should have over $100-$150 leftover as well, which I desperately need.

If the money difference between selling the Duo and buying a Duo-R isn't close to that much, would it be a good idea to send the TurboDuo to someone to replace the capacitor prematurely before it even has problems? If I did it that way I would only need one system and the money made off the TurboGrafx-16 would be purely my money back. I would be able to save data to the console from HuCard games which would make everything much easier.

Japanese HuCards are not much of a concern to me. Playing burned disc games is. If Duo R's don't have problems with burned discs wearing out the laser like US systems are supposed to have, then maybe that is the better option and I could just grin and bear the password saves for games like Neutopia.

I am also curious about Atari Jaguar CD.

I have a boxed Atari Jaguar CD and a boxed Atari Jaguar. Do you guys think it would be better to sell them both together for a pricetag that would be pretty high for a person, or sell the expensive add-on separately from my boxed Jaguar console? I am trying to figure out how to get it to sell better and since it requires having the base console it makes me wonder if more people would rather have it all in one swoop or buy the console first and the add-on second. Will it sell better to a Jaguar owner wanting to expand their collection by a possible 20 or so games, or better to a Jaguar newcomer who wants to try it all out at once?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Might make more sense to get that capacitor check done, and properly mod your TurboDuo to accept both types of HuCard. Then you'd have an English BIOS while also not having to use a converter card for the Japan games.

I advise adding RGB in the process too. The phenomenal boost in image quality potential will pay off later. It can be externally converted to other signals like component or HDMI if needed.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Might make more sense to get that capacitor check done, and properly mod your TurboDuo to accept both types of HuCard. Then you'd have an English BIOS while also not having to use a converter card for the Japan games.

I advise adding RGB in the process too. The phenomenal boost in image quality potential will pay off later. It can be externally converted to other signals like component or HDMI if needed.
    What about the burned games thing. Are they any worse for the system than they are for the Japanese version of the system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Not sure. I'd doubt it. There were very few burned games in the era. Any model more robust at that is unintentional.

Note if you'd like to try Arcade Card games, it's for Japanese HuCard only. Expansion had no US release.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CDRs destroyed two Japanese DUO's lasers for me. I will not ever put a CDR in my DUO/R either, because it clearly struggles with them. Nobody can decide what brand CDRs is best for what system, and some are definitely worse than others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by sheath View Post
    CDRs destroyed two Japanese DUO's lasers for me. I will not ever put a CDR in my DUO/R either, because it clearly struggles with them. Nobody can decide what brand CDRs is best for what system, and some are definitely worse than others.
    Yeah I don't see much point in regularly using them on DUO except fan translations. For testing purposes, perhaps. I understand not wanting to waste money. But emulators will do that fine.

It has few games out of reach worth owning. By that I mean actually good and a challenge to obtain. Not just "overpriced yet easily bought if interested".
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

any links to good people willing to do this work on duos?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    Yeah I don't see much point in regularly using them on DUO except fan translations. For testing purposes, perhaps. I understand not wanting to waste money. But emulators will do that fine.

It has few games out of reach worth owning. By that I mean actually good and a challenge to obtain. Not just "overpriced yet easily bought if interested".
    Emulators won't do what I want to do game recording-wise, and I pretty much only want to play through each of the RPGs once. On the original hardware. I was just hoping not to have to spend $50 per game and just play them for free burned for now.

I still kind of wonder what to do about that Jaguar and Jaguar CD like whether they would sell better together or separate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    any links to good people willing to do this work on duos?
    Try here
    http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?board=19.0