Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New "Panzer Dragoon" to be Published by Microsoft

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Arrow New "Panzer Dragoon" to be Published by Microsoft

The new game, developed for the Kinect by Panzer Dragoon creator Yukio Futatsugi, will be called Crimson Dragon and be published by Microsoft Game Studios. It will feature both an on-rails single-player mode and a new three-player online co-op mode. Crimson Dragon will be a downloadable title for Xbox Live and released this year, 2012, in North America. And based on screenshots and gameplay impressions, it is Panzer Dragon in all but name (likely because SEGA owns that name). The controls sound right out of Rez 2... er, I mean, Child Of Eden.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/z-6351086

Original article:

Quote Originally Posted by GameSpot
    There hasn't been much news about Project Draco lately, an Xbox 360 title developed for the Kinect by Panzer Dragoon creator Yukio Futatsugi. That all changed last week with a playable version of the game--now titled Crimson Dragon--unveiled at Microsoft's Xbox 360 10th anniversary celebration.
    The first of many official screens from the game formerly known as Project Draco.

According to a report on Famitsu, Crimson Dragon is due out on Xbox Live Arcade this year. Just like the Panzer Dragoon series, the game is an on-rails shooter where players control the onscreen dragon by using their body movement tracked by the Kinect motion sensor.

Gamers attack onscreen enemies by using their left and right hands. The right hand is for lock-on and homing shots, while the left hand is for single hard-hitting shots that use up the dragon's spirit gauge.

The game also features the option to customise dragons. Players feed their mounts different sorts of meat to boost their attributes and give them new skills. The title also features three-player co-op over Xbox Live, using players' dragons from the single-player campaign.

Crimson Dragon was announced under its previous name at Tokyo Game Show 2010.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crimsondragon_37775_screen.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	4508  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shitty title, but it's half the reason I purchased a Kinect.

I was reasonably confident M$ and third party devs would have released appealing software for the little wundercam by now, but it just hasn't happened. I like Child of Eden a lot and this should be cool too, but I wish devs would release interesting stuff for Kinect before its potential is totally wasted and resources are shifted to the next generation.

Anyway, I'm excited about this.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I am glad they released some new info. I was starting to think this project was dead.

That being said, this game will make me buy a Kinect. I can't wait. I am a HUGE Panzer Dragoon fan. Even though there may not be a connection to the PD world or timeline, I know Yukio Futatsugi will make sure it plays just as well.

By far the best news for me is that he got Saori Kobyashi back to do the music. I have been keeping my fingers crossed for this since Draco was announced. She scored both Panzer Dragoon Saga and Orta, two phenomenal soundtracks and I will buy the OST for this the second it goes on sale.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why is this for Kinect? :/ The controls sound like more of an annoyance than anything that would add to the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Why is this for Kinect? :/ The controls sound like more of an annoyance than anything that would add to the game.
    Sounds a lot like Child of Eden and that game did really benefit from Kinect controls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OOooooh glad I finally sprung for a 360. I'm surely going to get this one.

Game Tape Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jack Crow 2004
    PSN
    JackCrow2004

I love Panzer Dragoon, so this is a no brainer. It will be nice to give the Kinect a workout.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Microsoft accidently posted the demo for Crimson Dragon on XBL but pulled it back down. Here's a video of it. This game would benefit more through the use of traditional control methods plus motion controls such as the Move or Wiimote. Or even if they had an optional control scheme for the Kinect that your hand would be used to shoot but you could use a 360 analog to move the dragon. Moving your upper body at an angle to move the dragon around isn't something I want to be doing to play a video game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=5ifO72YsjZU#!
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Graphics are terrific.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know about the Kinect from first-hand experience, but I've read that there's lag from the design, which I don't think is really good for a game like this (or for any game, actually).

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im not a fan of Wii or Kinect style game controls. Its good the series is back though. The Kinect though is going to be used to monitor people, so I cant support this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This isn't Panzer Dragoon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The demo looks fantastic from a graphical standpoint, but I still am saddened by the fact that it is Kinect only. I played the game at PAX (I forget if it was Prime or East...one of the two) it was one of the first games I jumped on during press hour as I was dieing to try it....I came away severely disappointed.

Having to lean all over the place to move the dragon QUICKLY grows tiresome and is certainly not the ideal way I would want to play a PD style game. When I asked about traditional controller support, I was told the game would strictly be Kinect only

I have nothing against the Kinect, but I can't help but see a lost opportunity when I think about the potential this game could have had if it were released with a traditional control scheme (or at least as an option). Being the PD fan I am though I may still re-buy my Kinect to give this game another try....that and finally be able to play the Gunstringer.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Kinect-only is foolish. How freaking difficult is it to add controller support?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

i might shell out the cash for a kinect to play that and steel batalion
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hbkprm View Post
    i might shell out the cash for a kinect to play that and steel batalion
    Based on my demo experience and certain reviews Steel Battalion is pretty bad. I had forgotten all about this Panzer Dragoon spiritual successor game. I will eventually pick it up. Maybe they will throw in free versions of the three Saturn games the way Ninja Gaiden did back on the Xbox as unlockables.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Based on my demo experience and certain reviews Steel Battalion is pretty bad. I had forgotten all about this Panzer Dragoon spiritual successor game. I will eventually pick it up. Maybe they will throw in free versions of the three Saturn games the way Ninja Gaiden did back on the Xbox as unlockables.
    Please tell me you're joking. Why would Sega give them the rights to use actual Panzer Dragoon games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought Sega was making this but it only says the creator of Panzer Dragoon is making the game in that link. But if Sega were involved(I'm not sure since it only says Microsoft is publishing it) then I wouldn't see why they couldn't do it. And if not they could just make them regular XBLA downloads.

EDIT: According to wiki Grounding Inc is developing this game. So now it's guaranteed no bonus games.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 01-05-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If Sega were involved, it would presumably have Panzer Dragoon somewhere in the title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    If Sega were involved, it would presumably have Panzer Dragoon somewhere in the title.
    Not neccesarily. Konami published Hard Corps: Uprising a few years ago without adding the "Contra" title.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P