Thread: SEGA Genesis & CD Games With Tons of Slowdown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SEGA Genesis & CD Games With Tons of Slowdown

What SEGA GENESIS/SEGA CD game had the most slowdown during gameplay?

My overclocked JVC X'EYE is almost done. When it arrives, I would like to show a friend the difference between a SEGA genesis game with slowdown, and the same game with the overclock setting on.

I know Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is a prime example with it's 2 player mode essentially running the same game twice, but what are some other games I would notice a large performance difference in?

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I own a lot of Genesis games, but it's hard to remember any of them slowing down. That says a lot about the Genesis. I do seem to remember Midnight Resistance slowing down in parts, and I remember moments of slowdown in Sonic when you hit something and lose a lot of rings. Good luck with your project.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightening Force will almost at times slow the mighty 68000 processor to a halt. Try that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have thunderforce 3, does that slowdown at times?

Although, i do like lightning force so maybe it's time to add it to my collection.

Cherry (Level 1) PresidentLeever's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty sure you can achieve some pretty severe slowdown in Dune 2 or Herzog Zwei if you just build enough units.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Over clocking won't change anything that is access time dependent, so many CD games won't work.
    Lunar 2 had some issues, mostly due to disc access but the the battle against Zophar takes forever to load the battle menus in the 4th round. The semi cut scene at the end of that battle is also pretty sluggish but a bit less so than the beginning. I couldn't find a video of the English release but I remember it being a bit worse. Here is a video of the Japanese version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy67N5OJjDY fast forward and watch at about 3:18.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The classic example I know of is if you've got a lot of rings in Sonic 2 and get hit. There's normally slowdown as the rings chug chug chug and fall out. An overclocked unit should be able to just roll right through.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All the Sonic games have notable slowdown issues with large ring stocks being lost. I've noticed a lot of slowdown in Chakan, a game which should never have any slowdown issues at all... chalk it up to bad coding, probably. Collision routines are usually what cause slowdown, so pick any game that features a large number of collidable objects in-play at one time and expect to see plenty. In the case of the ring-loss bit in Sonic games, it's just a matter of handling a ridiculous amount of sprites at once... you can see terrible slowdown even though there's no collision being checked during those parts... just utilizing massive amounts of data.
    New PC Engine games coming:
    Jungle Bros | Monolith

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BLAST PROCESSING!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eponasoft View Post
    All the Sonic games have notable slowdown issues with large ring stocks being lost. I've noticed a lot of slowdown in Chakan, a game which should never have any slowdown issues at all... chalk it up to bad coding, probably. Collision routines are usually what cause slowdown, so pick any game that features a large number of collidable objects in-play at one time and expect to see plenty. In the case of the ring-loss bit in Sonic games, it's just a matter of handling a ridiculous amount of sprites at once... you can see terrible slowdown even though there's no collision being checked during those parts... just utilizing massive amounts of data.
    Yeah I remember Doomsday Zone slowing to a crawl most of the way through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An easy experiment would be to run the debug code in Sonic 1 and populate the screen with enemies until it starts to slow down. The overclocked system may perform better than a stock system.

Insert Coin (Level 0) DaddyMulk's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Journey from Darkness: Strider Returns. Overclocking it hardly makes it a great game, but it does take it from god-awful to mediocre. On the import side of things, PalSoft's port of Double Dragon II suddenly becomes playable thanks to overclocking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Demolition Man for the Genesis/Sega CD has copious amounts of slowdown in the overhead stages. The game throws wave after wave of enemies at you, often clogging the screen with sprites. The slowdown is so severe at times, you can hear the music chugging along with the action on screen.

Viewpoint for the Genesis also has very noticeable slowdown. Specific portions of each stage can grind to a halt. I've always wondered why exactly Viewpoint was so taxing, as the models are pre-rendered in 3D, much like Donkey Kong Country.
    Last edited by Mytho; 03-14-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eponasoft View Post
    Not true, by Sonic 3/Sonic and Knuckles, the amount of rings shown was severely limited to reduce slowdown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Contra: Hard Corps,the battle on the highway where Dead Eye Joe is chasing after you towards the tv screen. Using certain weapons against him the screen will slowdown, but it's been such a long time I don't recall which characters/weapon setup does this anymore.

Keio Flying Squadron, the dragon boss from stage before the final one. It's been awhile but I think it slows down when it seperates into a bunch of dragon heads clogging the screen.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS