Thread: Opinions on the genesis Shinobi games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Opinions on the genesis Shinobi games...

Ok I'm not asking if there any good or not... What I want to know which is your favorite and why?

I just picked up "revenge of" today. I never owned it before and picked it up dirt cheap as the lable was trashed. I booted it up and uggh! The spiderman copyright screen... I was really hoping for the original batman/spiderman version.

Been enjoying it for the last few hours. To be honest though its no shadow dancer. I dont know, maybe it's the fact I did own that one? I loved the dog element and the noise when you used a special. It just seemed more action packed.

I've never played 3 either but plan on picking it up soon as I can.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Insert Coin (Level 0) SirPsycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only have Shinobi 3, but its pretty awesome.

It has a nice difficulty, each level is slightly harder than the last but its never a crushing increase of slope. The action could be a bit better compared to other Genesis action platformers like the Strider port, but it makes up for it by having a nice variety of stages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Revenge III is my favorite. Best overall gameplay for me.

The first Revenge of Shinobi is good and challenging.

Shadow Dancer the Secret of Shinobi is good as well, but just like the flow of Revenge III better.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Shadow Dancer for me..I just like the pace of the game better than the others.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i love shadow dancer and 3 but i really wish SD didnt have one hit K.Os

Game Tape Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jack Crow 2004
    PSN
    JackCrow2004

I'm firmly with Revenge of Shinobi. It's probably just nostalgia, but it has a nice soundtrack and great control.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I like the Shinobi games on the Genesis, but Revenge of Shinobi is probably the weakest of the bunch. Still not a bad game, I just think the later titles got better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I like all the Shinobi games but for different reasons,to answer the question Revenge Of Shinobi is my own favourite as i find it plays the best,I found Shinobi III the worst of the three games.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duke.Togo View Post
    I'm firmly with Revenge of Shinobi. It's probably just nostalgia, but it has a nice soundtrack and great control.
    I am with you. I was blown away when this game came out. It had it all great sound when you killed an enemy and poor mans ,batman ,spiderman terminator, godzilla. The ending boss was so anti climatic.

I loved the way they had to do a disclaimer when they got sued by marvel. They were forced to make changes. How do you tell hich cart you have? The revamped carts when you turn it on gives props to marvel. The original unedited ones don't.
    neo geo system

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have Revenge and Shadow Dancer in my current collection. It's been years since I played III so I can't comment on that one.
    I like Revenge the best. The way it controls and the music are a plus.

Shadow Dancer with it's one hit kills leads me to have to memorize too much of what is coming ahead of time which leads me to playing it the same way each time. Where as in Revenge I have a little more wiggle room after being hit by enemies and can adjust my game play accordingly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Shadow dancer and Shinobi 3 hold the highest esteem in my heart. I love the dog mechanics in SD, and find the gameplay to be he most addicting of the series. Plus having mastered the game as a child, it's difficulty doesn't phase me and I still love to play through it.

Got to give this title to Shinobi 3 though. It's graphics, level presentation and all around feel are everything I love so much about Sega. The moment that Horse riding battle through a Japanese field takes took place on level 2, I was blown away. The game has this way of always trying to top itself... I just love it!

All of the genesis Shinobi games are golden, but got to say 3 always wins out for its shear awesomeness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    I am with you. I was blown away when this game came out. It had it all great sound when you killed an enemy and poor mans ,batman ,spiderman terminator, godzilla. The ending boss was so anti climatic.

I loved the way they had to do a disclaimer when they got sued by marvel. They were forced to make changes. How do you tell hich cart you have? The revamped carts when you turn it on gives props to marvel. The original unedited ones don't.
    From what I gather there's no way by looking at the cart. Of course the sega classics version won't be it either.

Honestly I was really hoping for this version of the game and am glad I only gambled $1.99 with it.
    Last edited by hellraiser; 03-04-2012 at 03:00 AM.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I own Shinobi III and a CIB Shadow Dancer, and I love them both. I give the slight edge to Shinobi III though because I have stress issues, and needless to say, Shadow Dancer only makes them worse. When I'm properly medicated though, I enjoy the challenge.

They're both better than Shinobi I on the NES at any rate.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

That's still not enough, there were four revisions of the game and the first two don't have the disclaimer. It's not really a disclaimer anyway, once they got the rights from Marvel to do a Spider-Man game they decided to make that enemy in Revenge of Shinobi the actual Spider-Man instead of a knock-off. That disclaimer just says that the game features an appearance from Spider-Man, since they now had the rights to the character they could put him in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    They're both better than Shinobi I on the NES at any rate.
    Shinobi on the NES sets the bar pretty low, any of the Genesis Shinobi games are better. After playing the Genesis games I tracked down the NES game, I was really disappointed with it.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

They weren't sued by Marvel. Spider-Man was in RoS because Sega had the Spider-Man license at the time (for the game later rebranded Amazing Spider-Man vs the Kingpin to avoid confusion with the other one based on the then current Spider-Man cartoon). Older versions didn't have copyright notices in the game itself because they were just lax about that sort of thing at the time and they thought having it in the manual was sufficient. Batman, Godzilla and the rest, those were another story.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked ninja games back then but Shinobi wasn't one of my favorites me wanting to like it. I kind of liked the arcade game and NES versions because of the music, strange bosses, and the bonus stages.

Revenge of Shinobi didn't seem nearly as fun. The bosses and levels felt a little too random and the graphics weren't that colorful.

Shadow Dancer in the arcade was cool, but once I got the Genesis cartridge a few years back I was pretty disappointed. Not that fun a game.

I did play Shinobi III when it first came out and it was a definite improvement. Graphics were much cleaner and colorful, and stages like riding horseback were pretty cool. Overall it was a decent series but Shinobi paled in comparison to Ryu Hayabusa.,