Thread: Strategy Guides for Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen (SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Strategy Guides for Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen (SNES)

Hello all, I am trying to find an answer to a question that is related to a series collection that I am currently working on. One of my favorite series is the Ogre Battle series that started on the Super Famicom, saw ports to both the Sega Saturn and Sony PlayStation, as well an additional sequel on the N64 and side-story games on the Neo Geo Pocket Color and GBA.

Here is my problem: Back in the mid-1990s, I remember going into an Electronics Boutique at a nearby mall, and finding a guide for Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen. I remember this guide being quite extensive, and in fact hefty, and having lots of character art and perhaps even some or all of it being in color. I recently bought the Prima guide by Ed Dille for the game off of eBay, and while I am happy that I purchased it, this is not the guide I was thinking of. The Prima guide for the SNES is fairly thin and entirely B&W, and additionally, has mostly screengrabbed character/unit art rather than using the original concept drawings.

Now, this is what I'm trying to find out: is there another guide out there for the SNES version of the game? An eBay search only comes up with the Prima ones for the SNES and the PlayStation. I do not yet own the guide for the PlayStation version of the game. I think it might be possible that I am remembering the PlayStation guide. I do remember being surprised to find a guide for this game so late in the SNES life cycle. I did not even know there was a PlayStation release for the game until about 5 years ago. The thing is, my gut feeling says I was looking at this guide in the store around 1995, not 1997 when the PlayStation release of the game came out.

Now, if I am thinking of the guide for the PlayStation port, all will be fine. I will get it sooner or later and be happy. But I just want to make sure there aren't any other ones out there that I'm currently unaware of. Is there anyone with more extensive knowledge of RPGs from this time period who can help me?

Thanks in advance.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty sure you're thinking of the PS1 guide which I do believe was in color. The SNES one was in B&W. I'll have to venture into the basement and take a gander just to make sure.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I have the PlayStation guide. I don't have it on hand, but it's black and white with really cheap quality paper. It may have some color pages, though, I'm not positive. I know it has a character art gallery section. It's pretty average sized, not thin but not particularly bulky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suppose it's entirely impossible I imagined this in a dream one night, it wouldn't be the strangest thing that happened to me, but that would be a major letdown. I've been thinking to myself, "I need to get that awesome guide someday." on and off for easily a decade now.