Thread: Forum (vBulletin) Software Updates

Administrator

Thumbs up Forum (vBulletin) Software Updates

Hello all. I upgraded the forum software from 4.1.10 to 4.1.11. It was a minor upgrade which mainly fixed some bugs, further simplified some overly complex parts of the code, and updated the mobile forum theme (still no color options for it though ). Please let me know if anything doesn't function as it should. Thanks.
    Last edited by Nz17; 04-23-2015 at 12:35 AM. Reason: changed thread title

Administrator

From now on, losing is verboten! Plus I'm going to start posting here whenever I upgrade the vBulletin software so that you all will know.

I upgraded the forum software from 4.1.12 to 4.1.12 Patch Level 1. It was a minor upgrade which mainly fixed some bugs. Please let me know if anything doesn't function as it should. Thanks.

Administrator

Hey there, Nz17 here again. Our forum's vBulletin installation has been updated to version 4.2.0 Patch Level 2.

vB 4.2 introduced a new feature called the Activity Stream which is supposed to show not just the new forum posts, but any new stuff including CMS posts, blog entries, gallery posts, registrations, friend-making, events, birthdays, etc. Think of it like the Facebook News Feed. The Activity Stream shows lots of things which we don't use (and aren't paying to upgrade to use) because vBulletin is trying to turn into a be-all, end-all bit of software, handling forum, CMS, photo gallery, blogging, and just about anything else which is modern-Web-like. (I wouldn't be surprised if a wiki addition is the next thing vB adds... if it hasn't already tossed it into the batch!) Thus vBulletin is trying to promote these new, pay-for features as much as it can including adding this new Activity Stream page.

While the default behavior for vB now is to show the Activity Stream instead of the traditional forum listing page, I know that our users don't want to see that instead of what they are accustomed. So I changed the settings to show the forum list by default. People can still get to the Activity Stream by clicking the "What's New?" tab.

Thanks for reading!

Administrator

Updated the software again, this time from 4.2.0 to 4.2.1. The changes to this release are:

IE 10 Compatibility - VBIV-15679 (Instructs IE10 to render vB4 pages using IE9 compatibility mode.)
    Activity Stream: Forum Sidebar - VBIV-15099
    Activity Stream: CMS Widget - VBIV-15353
    Navigation Manager: Add option for tab to be a drop down menu - VBIV-15023
    Activity Stream: Dynamic population of new content - VBIV-15095
    Allow a target to be set in the Navigation manager URL - VBIV-14981
    Change maximum allowed activity stream Items Per Page to 150 (from 30) - VBIV-15089
    20 issues were fixed in preparation for Mobile Suite 1.4, which will be released soon and supports iOS6.
    120 bug fixes selected based on vB user impact/votes.

So some nice little upgrades and additions and a whole load of bug fixes. Please let me know if this upgrade introduces any problems. Enjoy the improvements!

Administrator

~~~ Moved thread to Off Topic so that everyone can see the forum upgrade notices. ~~~
    Last edited by Nz17; 05-28-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Moved to OT

Administrator

Upgraded from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2. Info on changes can be found at [ http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-been-released ]. Highlights include:

* Many fixes for php 5.4 compatibility.
    * MAPI updates for Mobile 1.5
    * Facebook updates due to changes by Facebook
    * PayPal updates due to changes by PayPal.
    * Update to recognise IE11 User Agent
    * Fix Import/export of Navigation Manager (Open new page flag)
    * A couple of security updates in the installer & Forum Runner.
    * Added the Panjo online community marketplace plug-in.
    * A number of other major bugs held over from 4.2.1

I uninstalled the new plug-ins vBulletin introduced in these newest releases for simplicity and security, and I removed some now-redundant plug-ins we were using for ourselves. Performance should be snappy, but if there are any errors let us know. Thanks.

Administrator

Upgraded from 4.2.2 to 4.2.2 Patch Level 1. Info on the update can be found at [ http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...x-of-vbulletin ].

vBulletin Solutions, Inc. is being eerily silent on what exactly was wrong and what was fixed. Nobody is saying what can be gained by hackers exploiting the flaw this patch addressed. Unnerving.

However I discovered vBulletin also took this opportunity to install yet another "value-add" (read: upsell) package called Panjo as a plug-in. I promptly deactivated that junk just like the other ones they have previously tried to push.

If there are any troubles from this upgrade let us know. Thanks again.

Administrator

This is not a post about a forum update this time, but rather a post about a forum plug-in that was upgraded: Tapatalk.

Mobiquo's Tapatalk has been upgraded to version 5.0.1 for vBulletin 4.x.

Administrator

We've had another upgrade. This time, Tapatalk got updated to version 5.2.2 and the vBulletin software itself got upgraded to 4.2.2 Patch Level 2. Both of these updates were to address security concerns/problems with their respective software. They were just minor updates, so everything should look and behave as it did before the upgrades, yet be safer under the hood.

Administrator

The vBulletin forum software was upgraded from 4.2.2 Patch Level 2 to 4.2.2 Patch Level 4. This vBulletin update was to address security concerns. It was a minor update so everything should look and behave on the surface as it did before the upgrade yet be slightly better under the hood.

Default Forum vBulletin Upgrades

I just thought instaed of all the price check threads in the buy and sell forum, it would be easier if it had its own.

Jessica's Knight / SOFEL Fanboy InsaneDavid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    I just thought instaed of all the price check threads in the buy and sell forum, it would be easier if it had its own.
    It does, it's called What's It Worth? - http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?37 - and was created, if I'm remembering correctly, specifically to keep all the price check threads out of Buying and Selling many years ago.
    Contributing Writer, Retrogaming Times Monthly 2004 - 2013
    Chief Editor, The Retrogaming Times 2016 - Present *NEW RETROGAMING HOBBYIST NEWSLETTER!*

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    Price checks do have their own forum - it is called What's It Worth?

Good move adding that facebook button, hopefully people click the hell out of that and bring a few readers and sign ups to the site. If google+ and a few others could be added all the better.

So... Why'd the forums go kaput again these past few days? I thought all the problems were solved.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Yeah who sat on the server? I can see this lighting up that one thread about activity.

Ghostbuster

Probably ran out of memory again.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Administrator

I upgraded the forum's software to vBulletin version 4.2.3. It mainly fixed little bugs. Also, I upgraded many of the forum's Web server packages to their newest versions. This was also to fix a plethora of small bugs. After all, better safe than sorry!

Administrator

I upgraded the forum's software to vBulletin version 4.2.4. It mainly fixed bugs. Also, I upgraded our server to Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS. This was also to fix a plethora of bugs.

Hopefully this will halt the recent spam.

Administrator

I upgraded the forum's software to vBulletin version 4.2.5. It fixed some bugs. A few days ago, a hacker had messed with the forum due to one of these bugs which the vBulletin developers had introduced in an earlier version. This allowed the hacker to add some "plugin code" that caused problems here. Apparently the "hacker" was "good" enough to use a known exploit, but not good enough to actually stealthily leverage that exploit to his advantage while going undetected. Instead, he screwed things up, making the whole forum inaccessible to everyone so nobody won. In other words, he didn't do his "job" right so he didn't prosper and everyone suffered as a result. That is what caused this error message which everyone was seeing:

Code:
    ParseError: syntax error, unexpected 'exit' (T_EXIT) in ..../includes/init.php(357) : eval()'d code on line 1085
    Well, the forum's code has been updated and the hacker's "plugin code" has been deleted. Hopefully that will be the last of this for a long while.

If I had known about all this earlier, then I would have fixed the problems sooner. Thankfully RP2A03 reported the forum's problems to me today. Thanks, guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    I upgraded the forum's software to vBulletin version 4.2.5. It fixed some bugs. A few days ago, a hacker had messed with the forum due to one of these bugs which the vBulletin developers had introduced in an earlier version. This allowed the hacker to add some "plugin code" that caused problems here. Apparently the "hacker" was "good" enough to use a known exploit, but not good enough to actually stealthily leverage that exploit to his advantage while going undetected. Instead, he screwed things up, making the whole forum inaccessible to everyone so nobody won. In other words, he didn't do his "job" right so he didn't prosper and everyone suffered as a result. That is what caused this error message which everyone was seeing:

Code:
    ParseError: syntax error, unexpected 'exit' (T_EXIT) in ..../includes/init.php(357) : eval()'d code on line 1085
    Well, the forum's code has been updated and the hacker's "plugin code" has been deleted. Hopefully that will be the last of this for a long while.

If I had known about all this earlier, then I would have fixed the problems sooner. Thankfully RP2A03 reported the forum's problems to me today. Thanks, guy!
    If possible, maybe post the hackers site or connection? Put the bastard on the spot for all to see and maybe send a return greeting.
    Last edited by CRTGAMER; 05-17-2017 at 08:58 AM.
    CRT vs LCD HD Lightguns and More Guides
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT