Thread: Storage Ideas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Default Storage Ideas

So my girlfriend has been asking that I organize my video game collection a little more neatly for a while and I finally gave in and realized I should organize my stuff better. Currently it is taking up the majority of the second bedroom in our apartment which we'd like to make a guest room. As it stands now most the stuff is organized half assed in cardboard boxes. I'm thinking I should switch to rubbermaid containers or some sort of plastic containers. I'm wondering though should I just bunch everything based on Nintendo, Sega, etc into containers or should I break it up even more and get containers for each system? Any recommendations or opinions would be helpful. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is it just games or are you referring to memorabilia?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Just games for me. Majority of it is Nintendo and Sega, but I have a little bit of everything.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had great luck with some slide-out plastic organizer bins that I bought from Lowe's. I got some bins that allows me to place them 1 game deep facing upright. Game systems fit as well. I've got each system broken down to their own containers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Hmm I like the slide out drawer idea the more I think about it. It may be obsessive, but I also plan to make an excel spreadsheet with everything I own on it and take pictures of the more valuable, collectible or rare items.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think someone here created http://www.lovethyshelf.com/ to showcase these kinds of ideas.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I think someone here created http://www.lovethyshelf.com/ to showcase these kinds of ideas.
    Flack's website.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have floor to ceiling dvd shelves that the previous tenant had made for his extensive movie collection and rearranged them on opposite sides of my tv in my living room.

They're deep enough for every cartridge I own and even the sorter ones(famicom, gen, MS, etc.) Don't get lost like they would on a regular bookshelf.
    Games are no fun in boxes, get those things on display!
    Closet Monsters: Custom and Retro Game Plushies Obesolete.etsy.com

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

No one appreciates displayed games more than I do, for practical and aesthetic reasons, but chances are your s/o would appreciate the guest room being a guest room, and not a full fledged game room. If you're compromising, and need to meet her half way, pullout storage bins are a good way to go. But an important thing, IMO, whether you use vertical pullout cabinet style bins, or simple, large, lidded style storage bins, you should really consider getting transparent storage units. If you actually use this stuff and the goal is functional, accessible storage, you'll definitely want to be able to see what you have in there without having to go through several drawers and lids whenever to want to find something. If you or your s/o don't care to see the contents of your storage units and you decide to go with opaque units, consider labeling them.

I find that the better you keep/store/maintain your games, the more you'll want to actually play and enjoy them.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 03-07-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Hmm thanks for the tips everyone, especially Megas, sounds like maybe you've dealt with this before? I agree I like the idea of games being on display for people but with our apartment setup, there isn't a lot of room shelving. The games definitely get used. My original plan was to get pull out style, clear drawers and make labels for each drawer so I can save time when I'm looking for something. I think you may be right about wanting to play more once everything is stored properly. As it is now I'm having a blast inventorying everything, to be honest half the stuff I'm running across I forgot I had. I grabbed a random SNES game handful and had Megaman X, Megaman X2, Chrono Trigger and Donkey Kong Country. Then I found some NES childhood favorites like Sky Shark and Urban Champion. Good times.