View Poll Results: Which Name do you like best?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Retrocity

1 8.33%
  • Mode-7

5 41.67%
  • Go back to the drawing board

6 50.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: my new show

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    Not sure why the FUCKNUT name for Zelda is necessary, or why you need to use the F word in your video so much.
    When it comes to reviews, 'fuck' is synonymous to 'I'm mad', 'I don't like it' and 'I'm funny, laugh at me' all at the same time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Hello, on the first episode of Retrocity we take a look at two versions of Aladdin." Well, no, not really.

It's not horrible, it just seems unnecessary. I don't get the point. Was this supposed to be a review? You have parts where there are several seconds of you not saying anything.

Not sure why the FUCKNUT name for Zelda is necessary, or why you need to use the F word in your video so much.

Try using a tripod when you're putting the game in the machine.

Did you make an inside joke to IrateGamer?

"Oh Noes". Twice.

Are you playing Aladdin in tate mode? Why does the monitor look taller than it is wide?
    1. yeah the video turned out to ble longer than i had thought.
    2.its kinda like a hybrid of review meets let's play.
    3. whenever i do games where you put in your name, i always end up using that name as a joke when i cant think of a name.
    4.yeahh that was my fault i could not find the damn thing.
    7. yes.
    8. didnt notice that. my bad.
    9. no, for some reason the whole video squished its self, im not sure why and i hope to have it fixd for the genesis version.

thank you for your thoughts. I'm always up for constructive criticism. Not saying ill bend to whatever everyone says, but i do like to know what people think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good stuff, Jack7. The intro is fairly kick ass and everything looks fairly professional. Your humor, script, and voice work well in the video, too. Since nothing is perfect, here is some (humble) advice:

1) Cover the window with a blanket or something when you're filming yourself. Too much light, man! Maybe you could film yourself in another spot with some interesting video game related stuff in the background.

2) While I can't speak for everyone, I prefer my reviews to be heavier on analysis than commentary. If you're going to do commentary, stick to the really humorous or very interesting bits.

3) Long stretches of a single video game "scene" just aren't as engaging as several scenes spliced together. Don't let a single "scene" linger too long. Splice more engaging short scenes together and tighten it up a bit.

4) I think intersplicing shots of you talking in front of the camera now and then to break up the video game footage, spicing up the overall "look" of the video, would be a good idea. Also, shots of the box art or ads in the beginning would be good visual filler too.

But, all in all, a promising start! Keep it up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack7 View Post
    2.its kinda like a hybrid of review meets let's play.
    Those don't work. At all. Prime example: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...arts-nightmare

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

You must have missed this one, Megas:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ission-request
    Yes, I did. Christ that's fucking stupid. No wonder you guys are giving him shit! I'll just shut up from now on.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes, that was a lapse in judgement I'll admit, and I will absolutely mull ideas over in my head a bit longer.
    But seriously, It's not like I'm the first person to have an idea that sounded funny at first and then dismissed it later.
    Although, probably should have just kept it to myself till I dismissed it and avoided all this.
    meh.
    Last edited by Jack7; 03-06-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you care to see the conclusion here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l3RFf4ArdE

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I would care to see the conclusion of this thread - can you make that happen, Jack7? Or do you want to make yet another thread promoting your lame show, since we keep showing up and raining on your parade because we don't like it and are giving you brutally honest feedback? If you're hoping for a clean thread where people only have butterflies and kittens to say about your show, then you should probably move on to another board at this point instead of spamming this one with a million new threads.
    Last edited by calthaer; 03-06-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I can set everything aside for your first video, but the aspect ratio of your gameplay killed it for me. Get that fixed. The second video broke a major rule when it comes to reviewers, filming the tv screen is not ok, unless it just looks like that because of the minimized aspect ratio and quality, either way, needs to be improved.
    Last edited by buzz_n64; 03-06-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I can set everything aside for your first video, but the aspect ratio of your gameplay killed it for me. Get that fixed. The second video broke a major rule when it comes to reviewers, filming the tv screen is not ok, unless it just looks like that because of the minimized aspect ratio and quality, either way, needs to be improved.
    I dont film the tv screen.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    I would care to see the conclusion of this thread - can you make that happen, Jack7? Or do you want to make yet another thread promoting your lame show, since we keep showing up and raining on your parade because we don't like it and are giving you brutally honest feedback? If you're hoping for a clean thread where people only have butterflies and kittens to say about your show, then you should probably move on to another board at this point instead of spamming this one with a million new threads.
    Thats not it. i want the criticism. Im not a big forum user, so excuse me for doing something wrong. Its just that I felt that After making my mistake with the first one I had abandonned that. I was still kinda iffy about the name and seeing as how the name was different than a stupid idea for an episode i created a new thread. once again sorry if i did something wrong.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've merged your show threads. Please don't make any more.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ANOTHER dude doing amateur reviews of games that are close to 20 years old or older.......................

Your opening sequence is nice, but if you really want people to watch your reviews and not sink to the bottom of youtube with the other 32489526767789070754031654197813560435748706767840 350863283477985495419463025072 people doing the same exact type of boring review in front of a webcam, youre going to need to fire up some pizzazz. Reviewing games drunk is not pizzazz, its annoying and makes me instantly turn it off, Im not sure if yer drunk in your Aladdin review, doesnt seem like it but Im going from your initial post- Dont do it!!!! drunk people just piss sober people off, and yes I am a drinker too but thats the truth, nothing pisses me off more than blabbery, stupid fuck drunks when I am not drunk, Im sure 99% of everyone feels the same.....unless youre a sloppy David Hasslehoff style mess, then that could be entertaining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To many long standing members of DP the statement I am going to make might seem impertinent. Hopefully the words themselves will be judged on their own merit, apart from me being a relatively new member of this incredible community without any real standing to speak of.

Why is there a need for the antagonism that is being sent Jack7's way? I do realize that he created three threads about his show, and that grates the nerves of many members, but he isn't forcing anyone to read or comment on them nor is he "spamming" us. It's like the never ending "Bronies" thread in "Off-Topic." Some people grumble about it perpetually being on the top of the list of threads in the category, cursing its nuclear holocaust cockroach-like ability to not die, but who cares? People enjoy it, and no one forces anyone to read that thread either.

I do not say this to morally condemn anyone's actions or even to wag a disapproving finger. Just lighten up, guys and gals. I imagine ya'll must tire of people plugging their youtube videos & other self-promotions on DP. I get that. Just the same, ignore if you don't like it.

That is all. Thanks for considering my words.
    Last edited by treismac; 03-06-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    ...drunk people just piss sober people off...
    I wish my Irish wife understood this. Evidently, "drunk" is a culturally subjective term, by the way. :P

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I also found it funny that the one poll question that almost nobody chose, he made the name of his show. lol And, it's the name of another show. Anyways, hope you improve on your show, and take these suggestions seriously. Get some lighting for your room, make the gameplay footage appear better, and so on.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I also found it funny that the one poll question that almost nobody chose, he made the name of his show. lol And, it's the name of another show. Anyways, hope you improve on your show, and take these suggestions seriously. Get some lighting for your room, make the gameplay footage appear better, and so on.
    yeah i had already made the title sequence at the time and wanted to get thoughts as son as possible. also the only comparison i saw was Retro City. not what I was calling minel.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well after watching them again, I am not very pleased with how those videos came out :/