Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phantasy Star Online 2

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Phantasy Star Online 2 Gameplay Video Released

As a player of the original, I think this looks great!

http://rpgsite.net/news/1080/phan%C2...2%ADealed.html

I am also loving how parts of the music sound familiar to the original.

The PSO-World forums honestly have 30+ pages talking about the character's spines/posture as seen in the screenshots. Of all things to talk about...spines?

I am sure I am not the only one on this site who has been eagerly awaiting news on PSO2...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The video looks really cool! I'd be interested, if they didn't charge over $5 a month to play.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Nice! Has it already been 10 years since I connected via AT&T WorldNet and killed that dragon? Man... I feel old.
    Looks pretty cool so far; I like the new gameplay tweaks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    The video looks really cool! I'd be interested, if they didn't charge over $5 a month to play.
    I doubt it will be free sega did charge for the original afther all.Yeah i know psz and psp2 were free but those were on handhelds.Still i'm just annoyed by the fact that pso2 will be pc only.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'd buy it if it makes its way to consoles and you can play P2P or single and multiplayer on the same console. I've never liked MMOs because of the monthly fees and regardless how interested in the game I am it's not going to change.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am actually hoping that it will stay PC only. I don't know how well console+PC MMORPGs have worked in the past, and I am not optimistic that the experience on console would be equivalent to that of PC. Also I am fairly certain it is a lot easier to manage hotfixes/patches/updates thru the PC only route than it is if it was to be released on console as well.

My experience with MMOs and subscriptions/free to play is that you get what you pay for, and I would rather spend money and get a great, deserving game than to get mediocrity that is free to play. I firmly believe that one of the reasons WoW is so successful (among a myriad of other reasons) is because they have the ability to constantly provide updates and content to their players, and they can do this because of the money constantly generated by subscriptions.

I think that SEGA has a huge playerbase waiting for this game, it is just up to them to do it right!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope that they don't screw it up like PSU. From what I heard from my brother, PSZero was a step in the right direction.

As long as you can actually find rare items again and not have to mess with synthesizing... and no unlocking content (that was pure BS).

I'm pretty optimistic judging from the video.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Phantasy Star Online was originally a console game and ported to the PC a year later, so why should it "stay on PC." It doesn't even play anything like a standard MMO. It should be multiconsole. The way PSO played using the right trigger to swap between your abilities worked well on both the Dreamcast and the Gamecube. If they released it on the PS3 and 360, they could put it like R1/R2/L1/and L2 as hot key swaps with the face buttons as your choice of skills, much like how Sacred 2 did it(minus L1.)

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I hope that they don't screw it up like PSU. From what I heard from my brother, PSZero was a step in the right direction.

As long as you can actually find rare items again and not have to mess with synthesizing... and no unlocking content (that was pure BS).
    If you own a PSP, PSP2 is the best version of PSU. There is no longer any synthesizing. They brought back the ability to hit the attack button again at the right moment for a more powerful attack, though I'd have liked it better if it was like PSO and required to even continue the attack. Though the bad thing about the entire PSU series, and this includes PSP2 is that the Force class is complete garbage. Every version of every spell is the same aside from the element, whether you case Foie, Barta, all other elemental versions, it's practically the same attack. Same with the more powerful versions. Add to the fact magic is awful in this game and you are more than likely you're going to be doing far less damage as a Force than the rest of your allies regardless of class. If you don't mind playing as a Hunter or Ranger though you'll probably enjoy the game.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-24-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mean "stay on pc" as PSO2 was first announced to be only for PC and no other console. This could of course change but I would be a little bit surprised if they did decide to release it for console AND PC. They are even getting the alpha test selection process rolling for PC users.

The biggest issue I would see for console users is the lack of a rapid chat interface. As any mildly seasoned MMORPG player knows, communication is critical to success and not everybody wants to sit on a mic all day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As I played over 650 hours on just one character on Dreamcast, 1200+ hours total, have had 10 characters between all versions, and even recently poured about 50 hours into a new offline character, I fear the coming of this game.

Alot.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    As I played over 650 hours on just one character on Dreamcast, 1200+ hours total, have had 10 characters between all versions, and even recently poured about 50 hours into a new offline character, I fear the coming of this game.

Alot.
    Embrace it. PSO loves you.

And PSO2 loves you longer.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An update: SEGA released a character creation video that looks totally awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z89_T...mbedded#at=257

They also released a second gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKuoBG03q4o

SOO excited for the Alpha...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post

Alot.
    I had 1100+ hours with my favorite character. (I only got to level 127+or-)
    I had 9 vmu's, so I could use every character. The lowest file had like 40 hours on it, the rest up to 500-600 at most.
    I was addicted.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CherryTonic
    Steam
    LovelyAssistant

I'm very interested in this and I'm hoping they'll release a stand alone character creator thing, cause that looked fairly sweet for the 30 seconds I saw of it. Other then that tho, it's looking kinda like PSU, but I'm hoping if it's PSU like that it will be more like PSP1 and PSP2, as those two games were a MASSIVE improvement.
    You are now watching Data dance

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PC only?

But then again, I'M FREE FROM IT'S GRASP!

My newest system is a netbook and then a laptop from 2006. I highly doubt I'll be able to run it without buying a new system. And screw that jazz.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by GameNinja View Post
    An update: SEGA released a character creation video that looks totally awesome
    I just watched this.. and I am now totally convinced that after this game releases you will hear about me on the news as 'the american who died from exhaustion after a 96 hour non-stop gaming session' ..

THIS WILL BE MY LEGACY!!!

..and I hope they leave out the part about all 96 hours being spent tweaking the bust size/shape on a hunewearl.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Biggest size, Torpedo, Done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default Phantasy Star Online 2

The good, atleast for those that don't like playing games on PC. Phantasy Star Online 2 is also coming to the Vita. The bad. Instead of having both offline and server side characters for online, it's online only.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/09...says-producer/

Also more Phantasy Star announcements. I'd like to see the PS2 remakes get ported to the Vita as a new collection. Only way we'd see officially localized otherwise. Either that or a new game. Just please don't screw it up, Sega.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-10-2012 at 03:28 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would play this on Vita, but it would be nice to download the client on Windows as well. I'm wondering what business model they're going to pursue.

My big question right now is whether it supports 3G. I'd almost never get the chance to use it, but it would be a neat option.

Then again, I'm a bit confused on why they're porting a server-bound game to a handheld that isn't always connected. If it's a free download, then I can understand, but it seems odd if it's a retail game card.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good i'm glad they are storing characters server side, maybe that will mean the game won't be full of nothing but cheaters and hacks like previous versions.

I'll support this game regardless as I cherish the series.