Thread: DOS: The Stoneage of PC gaming

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DOS: The Stoneage of PC gaming

I just joined here, so.. Hi (I already introduced myself in the other thread, so I'll leave it at that).

So what's the point of this thread? Well:
    I like classic gaming.. I usually watch old game reviews on youtube to try and find the hidden gems that no one heard of so I can play them.. but one thing I noticed is most discussions when it comes to retro or classic gaming, is centred around the old consoles(not that there's anything wrong with that)... not many of them talk about the good ol' Ms-Dos games... there's heaps of old Dos games I remember playing as a kid that I still play now (thank goodness for Dosbox!).
    One of my favourites is Monster Bash.. and I can't believe that not many people have heard of that game.. You know when you played a great underrated classic as a kid? .. And then you try to bring that game up in a discussion when your talking about games with your friends, and they're like, "wat da hell"?... yeh.. that's Monster Bash. At least for me anyway.
    In fact this inspired me to make a video of it to share it with you guys and anyone else that sees the video.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rAJx...Am5CmQJjT8w0Sw

My question is this:
    Did you play MS-Dos games as a kid?
    Do they have a lot of nostalgic value to you?
    Do you still play them?
    Know any good under rated gems?
    I look forward to your replies.
    *Discuss*

PS: I apologise for my youtube link in my first thread on this site.. I realise that posting a link to your own stuff is usually seen as spamming for popularity(especially in first threads).. but that seriously isn't the point of this thread.. in fact, if you aren't interested in MS-Dos games, or Monster Bash, then don't click that link, cause you probably won't be interested in it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a dedicated Classic Computer subforum within Classic Gaming. There are lots of threads like this over there...

Also, welcome to the forums!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    There is a dedicated Classic Computer subforum within Classic Gaming. There are lots of threads like this over there...

Also, welcome to the forums!
    Ah, so there is.... hehe.. I shall look in there.. I'll blame my sub-blindness on it being 2:43 in the morning.

Insert Coin (Level 0) ChickenPotPie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played tons of DOS games when I was a kid. Most were simple games not really worth remembering but the ones that stood out (to me at least) were:

Airborne Ranger
    Sid Meier's Pirates
    World Karate Championship (a.k.a International Karate)
    Kings Quest 1-4
    Police Quest 1-2
    Space Quest 1-3
    Leisure Suit Larry 1-3
    Xenon II
    Saboteur II <---way underrated but good
    The Ancient Art of War
    Double Dragon
    Joan of Arc: Siege & the Sword <----another good but way underrated game
    Last edited by ChickenPotPie; 03-10-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Random431 View Post
    One of my favourites is Monster Bash.. and I can't believe that not many people have heard of that game.. You know when you played a great underrated classic as a kid? .. And then you try to bring that game up in a discussion when your talking about games with your friends, and they're like, "wat da hell"?... yeh.. that's Monster Bash. At least for me anyway.
    Eh? Plenty of people have heard of that one. 'Twas an Apogee/"3D Realms" release. Heck, they still sell it for $6.

Mind you, I can't recall it being especially memorable when I tried it out long ago. The arcing projectiles were kind of unusual, I guess.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Eh? Plenty of people have heard of that one. 'Twas an Apogee/"3D Realms" release. Heck, they still sell it for $6.

Mind you, I can't recall it being especially memorable when I tried it out long ago. The arcing projectiles were kind of unusual, I guess.

Hehe, I guess I just have a lot of memories of playing those old games as a kid... hell I even remember spending countless hours playing loderunner...

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I was more of a console gamer, but I had my fair share of experience with DOS (including Monster Bash).

I remember my second moment of elation: beating Hugo III: Jungle of Doom, the first adventure game I ever beat.

Sierra On-Line was the best company of all time, until they sold out.

And no RTS will ever be better than Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness.