Thread: Help me fix a faulty SEGA CD 1 and SNES 2, please?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help me fix a faulty SEGA CD 1 and SNES 2, please?

Hey, everyone. I was recently scammed into getting a malfunctioning SNES 2 and SEGA CD model 1 console that I was told would function. Instead of giving up and reselling them for chump change, I aim to fix them.

I ask, then: can you identify the exact problems I have and instruct me on how to fix them? it would be rather appreciated.

SEGA CD:

The BIOS boots up fine. it tells me to put in a disc and press start. However, it seems the tray mechanism is busted. I can pull it open from the sides and close it with no problem, but it is loose and does not actually read discs because it is never given the chance. Is there any way to fix this (and what would it cost to do so?)

SNES 2:

My SNES 2 Works great...except there's no sound. Well, there's sound, but it's just a loud buzzing that increases and wanes with the total volume of sound the SNES is putting out. I tried this with 4 games it came with (super punchout, frogger, pacman, kirby's avalanche) and all of them do the same thing.

Also, I can live with it, but if the system shakes or the cart tilts, the thing shuts down/resets.

Any way to fix these problems (affordably, preferrably?)

I really hope I can fix these, because I'd really hate to throw away two consoles that look fine on the outside because I couldn't take the time to fix minor issues within.

That, and I can't get my money back from the seller, so I want t o MAKE the lot work out.

Any help would be much appreciated. if videos or pictures are necessary I can supply them.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Sega CD may have a failed belt or other problem, disassemble and check.
    The SNES may have failing capacitors, a common cause of no audio or buzzing/noisy audio

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    The Sega CD may have a failed belt or other problem, disassemble and check.
    The SNES may have failing capacitors, a common cause of no audio or buzzing/noisy audio
    And remember, remove the Genesis before you attempt to disassemble the CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Allright! I think I can start to see what's going on here.

However, I'm admittedly pretty new to this whole repair thing. ;^^

Can anyone link me to a guide, perhaps, showing the correct way to open up these things and exactly what to look for? Surely someone somewhere must have had problems similar to mine in the past. It would be much appreciated.

Oh, and I've already removed my genesis for now Would be quite a hefty lid to remove from the SEGA honeypot when peering inside otherwise. To be completely honest, yet another reason I want to fix these is that, without the SCD, the Genesis' expansion port is bare, ugly and vulnerable, since there appears to have been no side cover in the lot.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-11-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    Allright! I think I can start to see what's going on here.

However, I'm admittedly pretty new to this whole repair thing. ;^^

Can anyone link me to a guide, perhaps, showing the correct way to open up these things and exactly what to look for? Surely someone somewhere must have had problems similar to mine in the past. It would be much appreciated.

Oh, and I've already removed my genesis for now Would be quite a hefty lid to remove from the SEGA honeypot when peering inside otherwise. To be completely honest, yet another reason I want to fix these is that, without the SCD, the Genesis' expansion port is bare, ugly and vulnerable, since there appears to have been no side cover in the lot.
    You need a gamebit for the SNES. Opening it is rather self explanatory, go here for more https://console5.com
    I had a discussion about the Sega CD a while back http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...Model-1-Repair
    I posted some links for the common revision and some photos for a rather rare revision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll surely take a good look at those, though I think my problem may be simpler yet.

My drive just doesn't open or close, likely due to the gears not being aligned right.

I can't test the SEGA CD till next week, because I have no power adapter for it and I just tried it yesterday at the game store with an extra one they had lying around, which I didn't buy because, at the time, I thought that it was irreparably dead.

However, I did notice that, rotating the black gear around that can be moved without opening up the console either makes the drive fly around loosely or make it stick out, stuck there and almost "click" as it does so. Could it be this adjustment would make the drive function when powered on, or do I have a greater problem?

(oh, and I've tried several similar adapters with the same voltage, and they all fit, but they must be different in the absolute slightest because the genesis system powers on when they're used (nothing but official SEGA adapters will ever enter the CD.)

As for the game-bit...it claims this is for opening up the consoles, but can this not just be done with a screwdriver of the correct size? or does nintendo, in fact, use specialized devices such as this?
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-11-2012 at 03:09 PM.