Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me fix a faulty SEGA CD 1 and SNES 2, please?

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help me fix a faulty SEGA CD 1 and SNES 2, please?

Hey, everyone. I was recently scammed into getting a malfunctioning SNES 2 and SEGA CD model 1 console that I was told would function. Instead of giving up and reselling them for chump change, I aim to fix them.

I ask, then: can you identify the exact problems I have and instruct me on how to fix them? it would be rather appreciated.

SEGA CD:

The BIOS boots up fine. it tells me to put in a disc and press start. However, it seems the tray mechanism is busted. I can pull it open from the sides and close it with no problem, but it is loose and does not actually read discs because it is never given the chance. Is there any way to fix this (and what would it cost to do so?)

SNES 2:

My SNES 2 Works great...except there's no sound. Well, there's sound, but it's just a loud buzzing that increases and wanes with the total volume of sound the SNES is putting out. I tried this with 4 games it came with (super punchout, frogger, pacman, kirby's avalanche) and all of them do the same thing.

Also, I can live with it, but if the system shakes or the cart tilts, the thing shuts down/resets.

Any way to fix these problems (affordably, preferrably?)

I really hope I can fix these, because I'd really hate to throw away two consoles that look fine on the outside because I couldn't take the time to fix minor issues within.

That, and I can't get my money back from the seller, so I want t o MAKE the lot work out.

Any help would be much appreciated. if videos or pictures are necessary I can supply them.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Sega CD may have a failed belt or other problem, disassemble and check.
    The SNES may have failing capacitors, a common cause of no audio or buzzing/noisy audio

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tokimemofan View Post
    The Sega CD may have a failed belt or other problem, disassemble and check.
    The SNES may have failing capacitors, a common cause of no audio or buzzing/noisy audio
    And remember, remove the Genesis before you attempt to disassemble the CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Allright! I think I can start to see what's going on here.

However, I'm admittedly pretty new to this whole repair thing. ;^^

Can anyone link me to a guide, perhaps, showing the correct way to open up these things and exactly what to look for? Surely someone somewhere must have had problems similar to mine in the past. It would be much appreciated.

Oh, and I've already removed my genesis for now Would be quite a hefty lid to remove from the SEGA honeypot when peering inside otherwise. To be completely honest, yet another reason I want to fix these is that, without the SCD, the Genesis' expansion port is bare, ugly and vulnerable, since there appears to have been no side cover in the lot.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-11-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    Allright! I think I can start to see what's going on here.

However, I'm admittedly pretty new to this whole repair thing. ;^^

Can anyone link me to a guide, perhaps, showing the correct way to open up these things and exactly what to look for? Surely someone somewhere must have had problems similar to mine in the past. It would be much appreciated.

Oh, and I've already removed my genesis for now Would be quite a hefty lid to remove from the SEGA honeypot when peering inside otherwise. To be completely honest, yet another reason I want to fix these is that, without the SCD, the Genesis' expansion port is bare, ugly and vulnerable, since there appears to have been no side cover in the lot.
    You need a gamebit for the SNES. Opening it is rather self explanatory, go here for more https://console5.com
    I had a discussion about the Sega CD a while back http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...Model-1-Repair
    I posted some links for the common revision and some photos for a rather rare revision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll surely take a good look at those, though I think my problem may be simpler yet.

My drive just doesn't open or close, likely due to the gears not being aligned right.

I can't test the SEGA CD till next week, because I have no power adapter for it and I just tried it yesterday at the game store with an extra one they had lying around, which I didn't buy because, at the time, I thought that it was irreparably dead.

However, I did notice that, rotating the black gear around that can be moved without opening up the console either makes the drive fly around loosely or make it stick out, stuck there and almost "click" as it does so. Could it be this adjustment would make the drive function when powered on, or do I have a greater problem?

(oh, and I've tried several similar adapters with the same voltage, and they all fit, but they must be different in the absolute slightest because the genesis system powers on when they're used (nothing but official SEGA adapters will ever enter the CD.)

As for the game-bit...it claims this is for opening up the consoles, but can this not just be done with a screwdriver of the correct size? or does nintendo, in fact, use specialized devices such as this?
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-11-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Yes. Nintendo uses two entirely different special types.
    You should look for both screwdrivers. It's clear just from shape, a normal end won't fit.

Most often game-bit:
    SNES games
    N64 games
    Super Famicom games
    Game Boy & Color games
    etc

Also tri-wing on occasion:
    Game Boy Advance games
    Gamecube controller
    etc
    Lum fan.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll surely take a good look at those, though I think my problem may be simpler yet.

My drive just doesn't open or close, likely due to the gears not being aligned right.

I can't test the SEGA CD till next week, because I have no power adapter for it and I just tried it yesterday at the game store with an extra one they had lying around, which I didn't buy because, at the time, I thought that it was irreparably dead.

However, I did notice that, rotating the black gear around that can be moved without opening up the console either makes the drive fly around loosely or make it stick out, stuck there and almost "click" as it does so. Could it be this adjustment would make the drive function when powered on, or do I have a greater problem?

(oh, and I've tried several similar adapters with the same voltage, and they all fit, but they must be different in the absolute slightest because the genesis system powers on when they're used (nothing but official SEGA adapters will ever enter the CD.)

As for the game-bit...it claims this is for opening up the consoles, but can this not just be done with a screwdriver of the correct size? or does nintendo, in fact, use specialized devices such as this?
    It seems you have the common version of the Sega CD Model 1, from what I can tell that version is the one with more problems but the parts are somewhat easier to find. Unfortanately I don't have one of those so I can't help that much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen there's ways to make a "game bit" with other materials as opposed to ordering one.

Some methods are here:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/diy-gamebit.htm

do any of these actually work?

EDIT: Also, good to know my model's more common. I'm running out of time now and I still need to research how to safely open this thing, but I will as soon as I can and take photos that may identify the problem.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-11-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen there's ways to make a "game bit" with other materials as opposed to ordering one.

Some methods are here:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/diy-gamebit.htm

do any of these actually work?

EDIT: Also, good to know my model's more common. I'm running out of time now and I still need to research how to safely open this thing, but I will as soon as I can and take photos that may identify the problem.
    The BIC pen method works but usually needs to be remade every 3-10 screws, won't work if there is any corrosion on the screw or if the screw is too tight and is an overall PITA. The dremel driver seems plausible but I haven't tested it. What I did was use a slightly oversized hex nut driver and fill it in with some molten zinc over a stove, in a similar method to the BIC pen trick, just a warning this method is very messy.
    Edit: the key identifier for the Sega CD revisions is the large black timing gear, which is present in only the common version.
    Last edited by Tokimemofan; 03-11-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) bust3dstr8's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can use a common screw extractor bit then replace with machine screws.
    Clowns Suck

Clowns Suck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

UPDATE

Finally had the time today to open the SEGA CD up and snap pics.

First picture, showing the inside of the CD part with the top bit ON.

Second picture, showing a from-the-outside-of-tray view of the gear.

Third picture. Left side Closeup one of the behind-the-CD section Mobo.

Fourth picture. Right Side Closeup two if the behind-the-CD section Mobo.

Fifth and final picture. Inside of the CD part with the top bit OFF.

I hope these are helpful in identifying the problem! let me know if you need to look at more and what you need to look at.

Just to restate, my main problem is that the CD drive is loose and therefore not communicating with the open/close motor.

Thank you all for your time
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-15-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BIG update.

I got the drive to its normal, non-loose state AND found the big problem.

A loose ribbon cable.

After reattaching....

It works great.

ONE question though...
    RESET doesn't open the CD tray. I can still pry it a little manually, but what could be causing this issue?

EDIT: now reset opens it a LITTLE. I still have to pull it a tad, and then it just ejects and closes almost all the way, having to be pushed to go all the way from there. any clue why?
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-18-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I apologize so very much for this triple post, but I haven't gotten a reply in days and fear this thread is not being seen, buried, rather, in a sea of other topics.

Here is a video showing my problem exactly. Perhaps this will be more of a help to you all. Ultimately, I will be fixing this on my own but I do need to know what to do. Thank you all for your time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLhDV...1&feature=plcp

I also do know about replacing the belt with an O-ring as well, but I don't know if I have to do that quite yet. the belt does move smoothly and strongly enough. I do have one o-ring, though, need it be replaced.

Overall, my major question is if I can fix this gear without moving (and risking irreparably breaking) the little plastic bits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

Replace the belt and get back to us. It might fix the problem.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Allright, I'm just about stuck here. MANY guides that instruct on removal of the disc drive state that you have to pull out two small plastic bits on the side of the drive in order to fully eject it (one of these being MN12BIRD's), however, while I can pull these bits all the way out until I can clearly see they've been fully pulled without breaking them....the drive won't budge.

Is there ANY other way to open up the drive or steps that I'm missing? This is how much disassembly I usually do:

-open case
    -open cd drive shielding
    -remove disc drive top magnetic bit
    -try to remove CD drive, stuck here.

once more, thank you all so very much for your time.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having zero experience with that version, on the earlier one there is a screw at the upper right corner of the tray than needs to be removed first.
    Edit: there should be 4 screws around the drive, remove those and you can detach the drive and access the it from below.
    Last edited by Tokimemofan; 03-20-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EDIT: I think I've found the new problem. The black gear spins the disc drive but does NOT raise-lower the drive assembly. What can I do?
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-21-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So very sorry for the continuous annoyance of this thread popping up, but I still am intent on fixing this SEGA CD ;^^

Anyway, I've made a second video showing the exact bit that won't move the assembly up. it is underneath the large black gear and appears to be covered with some sort of white gluey stuff and has a corkscrew body which the tray would follow up as it turns. However, save for a tiny budge when the tray is all the way out, it's not moving at all.

The video is here:

(sorry for the lowered quality this time, I had to use my PSP camera.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPn5D...ideo&lr=1&ob=0

I know this may not be the ONLY issue at the time, but it's still one I'll have to resolve before I go any further. Instruction on how to access and fix this part would be much appreciated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, months later, I finally opened up the thing again.

I tried to turn the thing, but it's VERY small and hard to reach and seems to snap back whenever I try and move it up and forward manually.

Here's what I'd love to know from here:

A. can I fully (and manually) rotate the tray assembly up without breaking it?
    B. if not, is there some way to reconnect it to the main gear?

Again, thanks so much for putting up with me. I just don't want this hard-t-find system to go to waste if I can avoid it.