Thread: The quest for the ultimate "Game genie codes and cheats" book (pdf)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The quest for the ultimate "Game genie codes and cheats" book (pdf)

As you may have firgured out already, I'm a cheater! My favorite site to get my cheats and codes is http://www.gscentral.org/ , specialy because it has more game genie codes, not just the standard ones.

I would love to have a MS Word document or a pdf with one game per page with the game genie codes and cheats. I find it a bit hard to copy paste and handle the tables from the web page to word.

I have quite an extensive collection so if I do one by one, it needs to be easy to work with.

Any suggestions on how to get there?

I want to it for the NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Sega CD, 32X

Has it already been done before?
    Last edited by ebo0763; 03-11-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was working on something like this before. I was doing it in word with tables and using box art as an intro to each game. the comp crashed and I lost it all. but the plan was to put it in a binder, if you want some help, I'm always down for a project. but thats the only suggestion I can think of, is maybe use box art as a page between, or better yet, I should have just made a smaller image above the table with the boxart. shouldnt be too hard, but like i said if you want some help doing some of the grunt work I'm down to help.

and to my knowledge I havent seen a word doc or pdf of something like this.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack7 View Post
    I was working on something like this before. I was doing it in word with tables and using box art as an intro to each game. the comp crashed and I lost it all. but the plan was to put it in a binder, if you want some help, I'm always down for a project. but thats the only suggestion I can think of, is maybe use box art as a page between, or better yet, I should have just made a smaller image above the table with the boxart. shouldnt be too hard, but like i said if you want some help doing some of the grunt work I'm down to help.

and to my knowledge I havent seen a word doc or pdf of something like this.
    Too bad for the lost of your project...

It would be nice to start a project yeah, we'll see what we can get out of this post first.

A pic would be interesting but not necessary since I would like to have more text on the page. Actually for the cheats, it would be nice to easily past those tables in Word. http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/587690-t...de-game/cheats

And to keep it more simple, I could just use the regular codes here, easy to paste : http://www.gamegenie.com/cheats/gamegenie/nes/tmnt.html

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PM me your email and I'll send you a word document of an example i had for the original project I was doing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are doing a project that will probably exceed 100 pages, I highly suggest you do not use Word. I remember doing my honours and masters thesis in Word, and once it got huge, Word was incredibly slow and unstable (though that improves if you turn off autosave). I'd suggest looking into a desktop publishing utility, that will give you more flexibility. Perhaps you could even find some sort of scripting tool that will make your life easier (perhaps doing it as a webpage, and converting it to to a publishable format).
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I am currently working on a project just like this for the Sega Saturn.

I have started with just cheat codes and once I have all of the games covered then I am going to expand it with Game Shark codes as well. It is a VERY time consuming task. I want to make sure that I get every cheat so there are about 5 or 6 cheat sites that I reference. Some of them I can just copy and paste no problem. Others I have to reformat and re color the text. Another site is protected against copying stuff, so I have to hand type all those codes.

Some of the codes are written real bad. I boot up the game if I have it, confirm that the code works and retype it so it is concise and makes sense.

I got the idea from a site years ago called Genesis Collective. The site has since sadly died, but they did the exact same thing you are talking about. They had every Genesis game, followed by a cover scan, a few screen shots, cheat codes and game genie codes all rolled into one. It was really awesome! They eventually made an offline version of the Genesis Collective, but it was never as fleshed out as the real site. You can still find the offline Genesis Collective around the internet to get an idea, you should do a search and check it out.

It was programmed as a windows help file, a fairly novel idea, so you could browse everything it had to offer fairly intuitively.

I don't have a ton of spare time but I would love to help out where I could with this project.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Those windows help files (CHM I think?) are actually pretty nifty. I was messing around with them before and they're bundled HTML files which allow navigation. Basically, just a compacted website for use offline.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Back in the day there was the Game Genie Code Creator's Club, way back in late 90s, early 2000s. Really good stuff people came up with. Dunno if Archive.org would help you out there, but maybe others archived it? Don't remember who ran it, but it was pretty awesome.

For years, I think Galoob kept their site updated with the latest codes, but that was a long time ago.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Play me a Newfie jig! markusman64ds's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    For years, I think Galoob kept their site updated with the latest codes, but that was a long time ago.

-Rob
    http://web.archive.org/*/http://www.galoob.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Back in the day there was the Game Genie Code Creator's Club, way back in late 90s, early 2000s. Really good stuff people came up with. Dunno if Archive.org would help you out there, but maybe others archived it? Don't remember who ran it, but it was pretty awesome.

-Rob
    Man, I loved the GGCCC. I used to have a binder full of codes from there (maybe still do somewhere). It would be a shame if those were lost. I remember a long time ago if I could mirror the codes on SNES Central, but they said no.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them