Thread: Computer Games That Defined RPGs In the 1980s [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lightbulb Computer Games That Defined RPGs In the 1980s [Slashdot]

adeelarshad82 writes "The 1980s were huge for RPGs. This genre was one of the most defining game forms in the computer gaming world. A recently published article strolls down the memory lane to look back at classic computer games that both defined and extended the definition of the RPG in the 1980s. The roundup includes some obvious ones like Ultima and The Bard's Tale, and others which you may never have heard of."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DP ServBot View Post

adeelarshad82 writes "The 1980s were huge for RPGs. This genre was one of the most defining game forms in the computer gaming world. A recently published article strolls down the memory lane to look back at classic computer games that both defined and extended the definition of the RPG in the 1980s. The roundup includes some obvious ones like Ultima and The Bard's Tale, and others which you may never have heard of."

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

More...

But, but, but...

I thought that there were no good RPGs before the Japanese rescued us from the dark ages and introduced them to us.

Snark aside, this is a pretty good list.

The games highlighted weren't the best of their series' IMO but I suppose that they're the ones where they made made key changes that led to them becoming classics.
    Last edited by Griking; 03-12-2012 at 05:15 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I liked how they point out in the list that the West introduced RPGs to the Japanese through the Wizardry series. Of course, the same could be argued with platformers (Pitfall and the like were already around before the famous Japanese platformers) and all sorts of other genres.

I would say that, while the U.S. continually focused on a more radical expansion / experimentation with gameplay (function) during the time they're talking about, the Japanese focused largely on graphics / sound / interface (form), which is why the Nintendo became such a smash hit when it was introduced to the U.S. in the mid-80s. "RPGs," such as they were (viz., stat-acquisition simulations), were suddenly much more accessible to many more people who didn't own a computer. That PC / computer focus on gameplay eventually lead to the Ultima VIIs (a world whose interactivity hasn't really been trumped to this day...has it?), MMOGs (again, Ultima), 3D gaming (first came about through FPSes - you could argue that flight sims had already done this, primitively), all the way down to the Baldur's Gates and Planescape: Torments (and Fallout 1 + 2) that lead to Neverwinter Nights and, ultimately, all the big titles with wide-open gameplay that have now risen to ascendance in the West (Skyrim, Fallout 3, DX: Human Revolution) - all of which now have all of the same interface niceties and graphical improvements.

The occidental won't catch on in the orient, though:

“They want a guided experience,” says Campbell. “They want their hands held. They want the familiar. They don’t want new. When you go against that, they get angry.”
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I've played all of them, and own some of them (on the C64). Out of the list though, I would have put Ultima IV instead of III, I felt it more ground-breaking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I've played all of them, and own some of them (on the C64). Out of the list though, I would have put Ultima IV instead of III, I felt it more ground-breaking.
    Good for you, I remember you saying way back you never heard of Wizardry (no 10 on the list) except the British (bad, nothing to do with the original game) version.

I played all of them too except Dungeon Master, but I also played classics like The Magic Candle (Mindcraft, excellent game), Knights of Legend (Origin), and many more SSI and EA classics either on C64 or A8.
    Last edited by tom; 03-14-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Given Wizardry's heritage, along with Ultima, then yeah, I figured I'd give the first game a whirl via Gamebase64...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good enough list. There are of course many more, but each choice seems representative. Pool of Radiance was simply the first Gold Box game. I found them all enjoyable. The Ultima's and Bard's Tales are all great as well.

I only played Phantasie a bit, Phantasie 2 a bit more, and completed Phantasie 3. They were all great.

The only Wizardry I played much of was V or VI (bane of the Cosmic Forge).

Some tiles I have fond memories of that did not get mentiones (SSI was the company for me, and mostly on c64):
    Shards of Spring
    Wizard's Crown
    Questron I and II
    Times of Lore
    Magic Candle (as mentioned) great series

Never did get into Knights of Legend. Always wanted to. It came on a bunch of disks and held so much promise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Bard's Tale for iOS, the overhead, modern game, also comes with the classic Apple II version of The Bard's Tale. They say they're going to add parts 2 and 3, too. I bought it the last time it was on sale, just to get the classic version. I'd avoided the newer game totally, but it's actually pretty clever and well done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    Bard's Tale for iOS, the overhead, modern game, also comes with the classic Apple II version of The Bard's Tale. They say they're going to add parts 2 and 3, too. I bought it the last time it was on sale, just to get the classic version. I'd avoided the newer game totally, but it's actually pretty clever and well done.
    Aren't there any Apple II emulators for iOS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Bard's Tale on iOS now includes both the original BT and Bard's Tale II.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great list of games - only played a handful myself. I love JRPG's, but I grew up on Western style RPG's. I think comparing the 2 is like comparing apples to oranges. I'm really looking forward to http://www.grimrock.net/ - Legend of Grimrocks brings me back to the countless hours I spent on games like Stonekeep back in the day.
    Currently attempting to complete my Genesis collection! Always looking for hard to find complete games! Send me a PM
    Please feel free to follow my collecting blog here! http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/