Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: PS3 Launch Price, in retrospect

  1. #1
    Cherry (Level 1) ReaXan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    At Uncle Wesker's
    Posts
    349
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default PS3 Launch Price, in retrospect

    Anyone get a PS3 at launch that still works today?

    I was thinking about it today and I now feel the PS3 was worth the money considering how long its been supported and that the hardware was genuinely well built for the most part.

    The first gen supported the PS1 and PS2 along with the new tech BluRay. It had alot of great features for the price.

    The launch games werent impressive I admit, but if u stuck with it I think it was less of a hassell than dealing with the 360, which the red ring and its problems got me into PC gaming.

    I just feel the PS3 was more of a long term investment that people thought would somehow go the way of the 3DO and be left in the dust. But I guess Sony is bigger than we realized in how long they can carry a system.

    Basically if I could go back I would have gotten a PS3 at launch and never look back.
    Last edited by ReaXan; 03-12-2012 at 02:53 AM.

  2. #2
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,787
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

    Default

    I didn't get one at launch, but when the price dropped by $100 shortly after and the 60 gig models were still being made. It is one of the only systems I am going to bother keeping even through selling my stuff because it has my account and everything. That and because it's my favorite console when you count its ability to play ps1 and ps2 games.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]


  3. #3
    Cherry (Level 1) ReaXan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    At Uncle Wesker's
    Posts
    349
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    sorry for bump, but wanted more opinions

  4. #4
    Cherry (Level 1)
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    From Parts Unknown
    Posts
    378
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Price point was a disaster, thank god they learned from it.

  5. #5
    Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    Frankie_Says_Relax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Posts
    7,824
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

    Default

    It was undoubtedly too expensive at launch, and taking the plunge was a bit of a gamble not being able to see the future of what the system would hold, though, considering:

    the relative price of Blu-Ray players at the time

    the eventual success of Blu-Ray as a media standard

    the built-in Wi-Fi technology

    The lack of having to pay for online play

    The evolution that the OS has gone through and the service additions and apps that are available for it now

    and the general resilience of the hardware in comparison to the launch and early gen 360s

    I think at the end of the generation PS3 launch owners who stuck with PS3 got decent value for their dollar.

    So glad to see Sony committed to a lower price point in the upcoming generation.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"


  6. #6
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,278
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    I bought the most expensive model at launch. I actually didn't preorder, but they had a couple of units at the Target by work less than a week after launch. I don't regret it, although in retrospect, I only played with it a few hours the day I bought it and then a couple of times in the next few months. In fact, I don't think I played more than a few hours at a time until a year or so after launch. Ultimately, my Xbox 360 became my lead console this generation but in the past year, I have really started to love the Sony exclusives and especially PSN titles. I'm just happy PS4 is $400 as that seems like a perfect price point for a great console.

  7. #7
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

    Default

    I remember when it launched in 2006. My X-coworker took about 3-4 days off work to camp in front of best buy with some of his friends.

    He ended up getting three units which he funded by selling his car. He then ebayed each PS3 for over $1,200. He made more then double his money and the next week at work he had a new used car.


    I didn't get my PS3 until The first week the 120 GB launched with the new model and the first $299.99 price. I believe that was the first week September 2009.

    I don't think I stopped playing for longer then a week in the four years I've had it.



    $399.99 PS4 is a sigh of relieve. I will still probably end up having to wait for a price drop though. After tax, a game, a 2nd controller it's more like $500 and even more for xbox one.

    No to mention want to play online? Need another $50 now for PSN+.

  8. #8
    Insert Coin (Level 0) granz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    granz912

    Default

    Not worth it, IMO. The hardware has such a high failure rate (1) that possibly all launch models (that aren't still new in packaging) are going to be obsolete in just a few more years. If I had a launch model, I'd sell it now and invest in a Slim or Super Slim, simply so I could get more life out of my console.

    The backward compatibility really isn't enough incentive for me. Used PS2s should be no more than $30 USD, and they're a lot easier to hack so you can run imports. For some inane reason, backward-compatible PS3s still enforce region protection, even though actual PS3 games don't.

  9. #9
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by granz View Post
    Not worth it, IMO. The hardware has such a high failure rate (1) that possibly all launch models (that aren't still new in packaging) are going to be obsolete in just a few more years. If I had a launch model, I'd sell it now and invest in a Slim or Super Slim, simply so I could get more life out of my console.

    The backward compatibility really isn't enough incentive for me. Used PS2s should be no more than $30 USD, and they're a lot easier to hack so you can run imports. For some inane reason, backward-compatible PS3s still enforce region protection, even though actual PS3 games don't.
    PS3 launch models had a failure rate of like 9% compared to xbox launch models at like 50% failure rates.

    Before I got my PS3 slim I sold my xbox 360 to a friend which had just came back from a RROD repair that was part of Microsoft's extended warranty.

    If you are comparing failure rates of YLOD to RROD then there were a lot more xbox users that got screwed.

    Reliability wise I do think the newer PS3's are a lot more stable and reliable. So I would take that and my phat PS2 any day over a 60GB BC launch model.


    That is another reason why I am in no rush to get a next generation console. I am happy the time for next gen has arrived but I will wait for re-models and price drops along with working out the bugs. All while a good library of games comes out.

  10. #10
    Apple (Level 5) xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest US
    Posts
    1,052
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by granz View Post
    The backward compatibility really isn't enough incentive for me. Used PS2s should be no more than $30 USD, and they're a lot easier to hack so you can run imports. For some inane reason, backward-compatible PS3s still enforce region protection, even though actual PS3 games don't.
    The real incentive isn't simply backwards compatibility, it's PS2 backwards compatibility with really nice upscaling. At least for me it is, that's why I'm happy I have a nice fully refurbed and working launch PS3. So it'll last a lot longer than any stock one out there.

  11. #11
    Insert Coin (Level 0) granz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    granz912

    Default

    I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was comparing failure rates. Whether or not 360 owners got screwed more than PS owners isn't the issue here. It's just the fact that launch models really aren't worth the investment due to hardware failures, whether those failures are 10% or 50%. 10% is a huge deal. That's hundreds of thousands of consoles that will simply break down in a few months to a year, without any warning. For something that costs $600, you would think Sony would try to ensure better quality assurance.

    Now, this isn't accounting for other issues these consoles have, as well. Players had to file a class action lawsuit over a supposed bug in Final Fantasy XIII that damaged the PS3's internal software. After encountering a freeze in the game, the players reported that the PS3 wouldn't recognize any more game discs. Who knows how many consoles were damaged by this and other console-bricking game bugs. Sony keeps blaming Square for the problem, and Square blames Sony. I'm guessing the problem will never be fixed at this rate.

    I always wait until slim or budget models are released. By then, surely they've addressed some of the hardware issues, and any games I want to play are likely to be available under the Greatest Hits label, which sometimes contains bugfixes and bonus content.

  12. #12
    Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    Frankie_Says_Relax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Posts
    7,824
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by granz View Post
    I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was comparing failure rates. Whether or not 360 owners got screwed more than PS owners isn't the issue here. It's just the fact that launch models really aren't worth the investment due to hardware failures, whether those failures are 10% or 50%. 10% is a huge deal. That's hundreds of thousands of consoles that will simply break down in a few months to a year, without any warning. For something that costs $600, you would think Sony would try to ensure better quality assurance.

    Now, this isn't accounting for other issues these consoles have, as well. Players had to file a class action lawsuit over a supposed bug in Final Fantasy XIII that damaged the PS3's internal software. After encountering a freeze in the game, the players reported that the PS3 wouldn't recognize any more game discs. Who knows how many consoles were damaged by this and other console-bricking game bugs. Sony keeps blaming Square for the problem, and Square blames Sony. I'm guessing the problem will never be fixed at this rate.

    I always wait until slim or budget models are released. By then, surely they've addressed some of the hardware issues, and any games I want to play are likely to be available under the Greatest Hits label, which sometimes contains bugfixes and bonus content.
    Even with a two-year failure rate of 10%, the PS3 is one of the most resilient pieces of console hardware from Sony.

    Good luck finding any statistics beyond anecdotal evidence (and do share if you do), but I think that it would be consensus that PS1 and PS2 both suffered from higher failure rates (typically DREs) in earlier models than the PS3 did.

    Thermal failure issues in launch PS3s are indeed inevitable long-term but in most cases doesn't present itself until a reasonable point in system ownership.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"


  13. #13
    Key (Level 9) Nebagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    77 38 36.9 S 166 45 58.5 E
    Posts
    1,801
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

    Default

    I've still got my launch PS3, though I got mine off of ebay for 380 (with a game) instead of the 425 it cost in the shops. I was never going to pay that much for a console and still won't, which makes it all the more hilarious that Microsoft have not only gone for that price point for the Xbox One, but actually hired the guy responsible for the car crash that was the PS3 launch to do it for them. Anyways, the console still works fine, I've never had to replace it, though I have since upgraded to a 500GB superslim (which I bought for 170).

    I'm intrigued by the story of someone doubling their money on launch PS3s when in my experience most retailers simply weren't able to shift them in the days after launch. In fact I can't recall a time at all- at least not here in Europe- when they were hard to find.

  14. #14
    Insert Coin (Level 0) granz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    granz912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Thermal failure issues in launch PS3s are indeed inevitable long-term but in most cases doesn't present itself until a reasonable point in system ownership.
    A few months to a year is not a reasonable point in ownership. If hardware isn't going to last 20+ years, then it's a wasted investment. I don't think that's at all an unreasonable expectation from consumers, nor is it an unrealistic one when you consider any given limitations of the hardware itself.

    I don't see this as being much different from putting together a computer. Systems I've built over a decade ago are still alive and kicking because I ensure there's proper ventilation, quality cooling systems, etc. If Sony's hardware is facing inevitable thermal issues in just a few months, then there's a serious oversight.

  15. #15
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    I've still got my launch PS3, though I got mine off of ebay for 380 (with a game) instead of the 425 it cost in the shops. I was never going to pay that much for a console and still won't, which makes it all the more hilarious that Microsoft have not only gone for that price point for the Xbox One, but actually hired the guy responsible for the car crash that was the PS3 launch to do it for them. Anyways, the console still works fine, I've never had to replace it, though I have since upgraded to a 500GB superslim (which I bought for 170).

    I'm intrigued by the story of someone doubling their money on launch PS3s when in my experience most retailers simply weren't able to shift them in the days after launch. In fact I can't recall a time at all- at least not here in Europe- when they were hard to find.


    When Nintendo Wii released around Holiday time my local gamestop which is in a mall, was only was getting six units to the one store. Me and my friend camped out the night before in the mall parking lot. Cops even asked what we were doing.

    Anyway when the gamestop employee showed up to the mall she asked the mall security who were the first six people that got to the mall. About a hundred or so people ended up showing up by morning time. I had my 1/6 tickets for a spot in line and then I started a bidding was with the crowd.

    I ended up selling my ticket/ spot in line for $150 to a cowboy after turning down a father and his two kids. I think the cowboy outbid him by $50 bucks.

    I ended up getting a wii down the road and soft modded it. Never used the thing so I got rid of it. Don't really miss it either. I think it was literally a paperweight when I had it. Maybe in two years of owning a wii I put like 8-12 hours on it.

  16. #16
    Pretzel (Level 4) Polygon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    865
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

    Default

    I'll happily stick with my slim that I paid $200 for brand new. I couldn't care less about backwards compatibility. I more concerned with reliability.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

  17. #17
    ServBot (Level 11) BHvrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Somewhere getting an all-over tan.
    Posts
    3,353
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Bought at launch $699.

    Ran great 2+years

    After 3rd year Bluetooth failed, replaced. $40

    Ran another year got YLOD.

    Baked it in Oven lasted another year, then YLOD again.

    Baked it in oven 6 months, then again, 3 months, then again 2 months, 1 month.....and now everytime I bake it in the oven it lasts only about 3 days max, so.........

    I now hate Sony.

  18. #18
    Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    Frankie_Says_Relax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Posts
    7,824
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by granz View Post
    A few months to a year is not a reasonable point in ownership.
    Modern CPUs and processors are not prone to 20+ years of use without the possibility of thermal failure. Thermal paste drying up, motherboard warping, CPU fan failure or solder joints failing are all common with the speed power and heat that they generate. The computer you built 20 years ago doesn't have the same components, power supply or case situation or related tendencies as a launch PS3.

    However, that being said, I would say that you'd struggle to find any party who had a launch PS3 that suffered from the effects of thermal failure within one year of ownership, and when you do they're clearly in a minority.

    While my launch day PS3 did fail from it it did so at the 5 year mark via regular usage.

    Furthermore, your statistics don't even clarify what the cause of failure was within the reported/tracked 10%.

    I open the floor to (more) DP regulars who were launch day PS3 owners - has your system failed and if so when did it occur in relation to purchase?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"


  19. #19
    Great Puma (Level 12)
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    4,278
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Modern CPUs and processors are not prone to 20+ years of use without the possibility of thermal failure. Thermal paste drying up, motherboard warping, CPU fan failure or solder joints failing are all common with the speed power and heat that they generate. The computer you built 20 years ago doesn't have the same components, power supply or case situation or related tendencies as a launch PS3.

    However, that being said, I would say that you'd struggle to find any party who had a launch PS3 that suffered from the effects of thermal failure within one year of ownership, and when you do they're clearly in a minority.

    While my launch day PS3 did fail from it it did so at the 5 year mark via regular usage.

    Furthermore, your statistics don't even clarify what the cause of failure was within the reported/tracked 10%.

    I open the floor to (more) DP regulars who were launch day PS3 owners - has your system failed and if so when did it occur in relation to purchase?
    My launch PS3 never failed, although admittedly I would be shocked if it had more than a couple hundred hours on it before I switched to a slim a couple years back. None of my friends who picked up launch or near launch PS3s had failures, although they similarly switched over to slims in the past few years.

  20. #20
    16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    BlastProcessing402's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,282
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    I'm intrigued by the story of someone doubling their money on launch PS3s when in my experience most retailers simply weren't able to shift them in the days after launch. In fact I can't recall a time at all- at least not here in Europe- when they were hard to find.
    Yeah, I don't buy it either. They were never hard to find here in America either (unless maybe you lived out in the boonies). I remember laughing at how many PS3's were on the shelves right after launch, and laughing more that people had stood in line for days for no reason.

    Wii on the other hand tended to be hard to find for years.

Similar Threads

  1. Launch Price of Sega Genesis 3?
    By ReaXan in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 04:45 PM
  2. PS3 price worries, 2007 launch
    By Fighter17 in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-21-2006, 06:47 PM
  3. PS2 Price cut to $99 at launch of Xbox360 in Nov.
    By sabre2922 in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-28-2005, 12:58 PM
  4. Anyone else see a DS price drop happening on PSP launch day?
    By DaBargainHunta in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 04:26 PM
  5. Crazy NeXT launch poster auction price
    By Ed Oscuro in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:50 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •