Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any one else keeping up with all the Archie drama?

Strawberry (Level 2) SEGA_Queen's Avatar

This just in:

Archie had transferred their copyrights to several stories, including Pender's works, to Sega. And now Sega has secured copyrights for them.

See here: http://www.tssznews.com/2012/08/15/s...-sonic-comics/

Amazing. If the fight isn't just about over, it just got harder for Penders. Wonder if this will have an effect on the overall story in the comics. Archie clashed heads with Sega during their "this is the Sonic story line and you all better straighten the fuck up" phase.

Hmm, after reading the article more carefully, Sega's copyright claim for the Knuckles series is for “contribution(s) to a collective work.”

It sounds like Sega isn't laying claim to the entire thing, just the parts they have legal rights to, namely, the characters they created/own (e.g. Sonic, Knuckles, basically any character that originated in the games.). So the way I see it, Sega and Penders may have co-ownership of the stories.

Of course, if this is the case, Archie would still have to work out an agreement with Penders to use his stuff.

They may just write all his characters out of the story or change them to the point that they are his characters in name only. Ian is more or less already doing that.

Looks like Penders didn't keep up on some paperwork and has been ordered to shell out $13K to Archie.

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/08/15/p...ons-to-archie/

Interesting. Penders two friends have been strongly hinting that something happened during the pre-trial settlement meeting yesterday.

http://www.kenpenders.com/forums/vie...php?f=5&t=2502

Going by what little they've said, I suspect Archie finally decided to drop this mess and settle with Penders. Although, that doesn't explain why Penders decided to stop the updates for his graphic novel.

Maybe Sega put their foot down, and told him he can't use characters that look like Knuckles. At least, I hope that's what happened. His so called "original" designs looked horrendous.

This better not affect the release of the comic encyclopedia, or I will not be happy.

Diamond has stopped the distribution of Knuckles Archive #3, so that might be what they were going on about.

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/09/12/d...es-archives-3/

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Diamond has stopped the distribution of Knuckles Archive #3, so that might be what they were going on about.

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/09/12/d...es-archives-3/
    Oh man! If people didn't hate Penders before, they certainly will now.

Now I'm seriously worried that this case will start to affect not only the encyclopedia, but future issues of the two ongoing series as well.

Thankfully, my favored comic shop was already going to hold a copy of it for me, so my unedited copy is secured. But it seems like, now more than ever, there is a need for the fans who have missing volumes to snap to and get them.

Edit: I haven't been able to find anything solid on this, but people are going around saying that BobR stated that this will effect the Sonic Encyclopedia as well.
    Last edited by JSoup; 09-13-2012 at 09:00 PM.

I had assumed that most people knew that Archie fired the lawsuit gun first, but I guess not, being that A Moment of Archie Sonic felt the need to clarify.

Looks like Archie has pushed back the date for talks with Penders case on ending this mess.

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/09/17/a...ed-to-october/

Seems like it's going to effect the encyclopedia after all.

Looks like a few more Scott Shaw copyrights were found: http://www.tssznews.com/2012/09/18/m...haw-uncovered/

Looks like Archie has pushed back the date for talks with Penders case on ending this mess.

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/09/17/a...ed-to-october/

Seems like it's going to effect the encyclopedia after all.
    Crud! Thanks a lot Penders!

On a related note, one person on the "Mobuis Forum", Psxphile, posted an interesting theory as to why Archie is doing the Mega Man/Sonic crossover.

It's in this thread: http://www.mobiusforum.net/viewtopic...371320#p371320

Here's the actual post I'm referring to:

If only Archie had a way to be able to continue their output of Sonic books every month, for say... oh, I don't know... a year, without running into certain publication snafus regarding contested copyrights. Like, for instance: creating a slightly-out-of-continuity special event that interrupts the current ongoing storylines that could be made to be less... litigatious? Is that a word, can I use that? And that way they won't feel obligated to use certain characters that may run afoul Penders' legal dept. And then, of course, in a year's time when (one hopes) the matter is settled in court and Archie wins back the use of their copyrights they can return to the book's original format and continue the arcs they left dangling for 12 months.

Nah... Archie would never go for it. Forget I said anything.

I'll admit, it does sound plausible. Heck, Ian Flynn even stated on his board that it wasn't his idea to do the crossover in the middle of the current storyline. If this crossover is a "stall tactic", at least it will an interesting one.

Well. I guess a fun cross over is better than sulking about the main story coming to a grinding halt for a year.

Well. I guess a fun cross over is better than sulking about the main story coming to a grinding halt for a year.
    Technically, the crossover is only four months long.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA_Queen View Post
    Technically, the crossover is only four months long.
    If they're smart, they'll use Sonic Universe and the Mega Man comic itself to tell side stories. That might stretch it into a year. Then again, I'm assuming they are replacing or otherwise taking over the main Sonic comic for this cross over. I admit I haven't had a chance to do much reading on it yet.

It looks like Archie has replaced their lawyers. See here for details: http://www.tssznews.com/2012/10/09/a...opyright-case/

This could be a good or bad thing. Good because the new lawyers seem to specialize in copyright and trademark cases. However, since the judge denied their request to postpone the mediation conference again, they don't have much time to get up to speed with the situation.

So, still no news on the whole Penders thing.

But it looks like the encyclopedia is getting released after all:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sonic...c+Encyclopedia

So, still no news on the whole Penders thing.

But it looks like the encyclopedia is getting released after all:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sonic...c+Encyclopedia

Here what's one of Penders' fanboys BobR said regarding the encyclopedia: "Archie knows they’re violating copyright. Ken isn’t that concerned. He’ll be happy to accept the $150,000 fine Archie will have to pay him for willful violation of copyright."

I had an interesting discussion about this whole copyright mess with the owner of my local game store. He claimed that a work for hire contract has to be notarized/witnessed by a lawyer at the time of its creation. So when Archie submitted the copy of Ken's supposed contract, there should have been another document from a lawyer verifying it's legitimacy.

Now, that may be true under Canadian copyright law, but I'm not sure if it also applies to the US.

So, wait, who is this BobR guy? From what I've seen him post, I thought he worked with Penders. But others tell me he's basically an ascended fan that doesn't do anything other than chit chat with Penders.

So, wait, who is this BobR guy? From what I've seen him post, I thought he worked with Penders. But others tell me he's basically an ascended fan that doesn't do anything other than chit chat with Penders.
    Well, all I know is that he's a site admin on Penders' forum, and supposedly one of Ken's friends.

This is only tangentially connected to the topic (at least, I think it is) but I'm seeing stuff on A Moment of Archie Sonic about SEGA mandating that SEGA characters and Archie characters can't be related or some such. I'm not really finding anything to back this up other than a bunch of people noticing something, then everyone else running with the results.

It would explain a few things about character development in the comic. SEGA characters would more or less have to stay the same forever unless SEGA steps in, but Archie made characters can be expanded to hell and back.

So, according to BobR (http://kenpenders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2515) there were mediation discussions on the 29th of last month and, if no agreement is met, pre-trial review starts this week.

Meanwhile, Archie has been employing some obvious tactics to keep Pender's related things out of the book.

Meanwhile, Archie has been employing some obvious tactics to keep Pender's related things out of the book.
    Hmm, I don't know if the recent cover changes/removal of Penders characters is entirely due to the lawsuit. If it is, then they're being very inconsistent about it.

Sure they removed Rob O' the Hedge from the cover and story of Sonic Universe. But in the regular series, they only removed a Julie-Su from the cover. Three of his creations are still being used in the story itself.

Of course then there is the change of opening text from "Welcome to the Planet Mobius..." to "Welcome to Sonic's comic adventures...". This particular change sounds more like something Sega would ask them to do.

Oh, and speaking of changes in the comic, JSoup what do you think of Sally Acorn's new design that was revealed a little while ago? I personally don't mind it at all. I think it's kind of cute looking!
    Last edited by SEGA_Queen; 12-03-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA_Queen View Post
    Hmm, I don't know if the recent cover changes/removal of Penders characters is entirely due to the lawsuit. If it is, then they're being very inconsistent about it.

Sure they removed Rob O' the Hedge from the cover and story of Sonic Universe. But in the regular series, they only removed a Julie-Su from the cover. Three of his creations are still being used in the story itself.

Of course then there is the change of opening text from "Welcome to the Planet Mobius..." to "Welcome to Sonic's comic adventures...". This particular change sounds more like something Sega would ask them to do.
    Honestly, I assumed it more of Sega wanting them to focus on the titular characters than the peanut gallery (which is both good and bad, depending on how you look at it). But with the lawsuit and all of the avoidance methods that Ian seems to be employing (and I'm not just talking about the character substitutions, we also have the whole refusing to use familial titles thing) it seemed like Archie might be trying to play it safe. Now that I've typed all that out, I'm kinda back to the Sega theory from the first sentence.

Oh, and speaking of changes in the comic, JSoup what do you think of Sally Acorn's new design that was revealed a little while ago? I personally don't mind it at all. I think it's kind of cute looking!
    I've only seen the slanted picture that was taken from ComicCon (or wherever), but I like what I saw. Sally has gone through a number of style changes of the years, it's about time we get something completely fresh. Although I do miss supermodel Sally courtesy of Steven Butler.

I'll be honest, when I saw it I felt a bit bummed about the story. Big name comics generally have their storylines outlined or otherwise spoiled ahead of times, if not at conventions then in blogs. Sonic had the benefit of being big enough that the comic could keep rolling while also being small enough to not have crap spoiled ahead of time. I was actually enjoying all the mecha Sally drama...up until I found out she comes out of it with a shinny new design. Then again, it's drawing closer to 12 issues of mecha Sally, right? That seems to be how long these drama arcs are these days.