Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: -= OVGE =- 2012 - June 16, 2012 !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default -= OVGE =- 2012 - June 16, 2012 !

It is time once again as the 9th annual Oklahoma Video Game Exhibition thunders in!

Date: June 16th, 2012
    Time: 9:00am - 5:00pm
    Place: Spirit Bank Event Center - South Ballroom

Admission: $5 for everyone ages 8 and up.

Please contact me ASAP to reserve space for this year's event as several exhibitors have already claimed some space!

Full details at the website:

http://www.ovge.com

Hope to see you all there for 2012 event!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Press Release

Here's the official press release for this always-fun event:

Oklahoma's Only Retro Video Game Exhibition Returns

TULSA, OK–-Classic video games will roll in like a storm from history, as mid-America's one and only OVGE returns for the ninth Oklahoma Video Game Exhibition!

On June 16, 2012 video game collectors and enthusiasts from Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and even further will come together at the Spirit Bank Event Center in Tulsa to celebrate the history, hobby, collecting, and entertainment of the video gaming industry. “Before the OVGE, people from the surrounding states had to travel across the country for events such as this,” said Jesse Hardesty, founder and organizer of the OVGE.

In 1972, the video game industry began with the release of the Odyssey by Magnavox, the first multi-video game system for the home. Seven years later in 1979, Atari released the mighty 2600VCS and both created and changed home entertainment forever! Then, in the early ‘80s an overflow of games and poor sales resulted in the great crash of the video game industry in 1983. Since the rebirth of the industry in 1985, with the introduction of the Nintendo Entertainment System, video game sales and popularity have flourished.

Still, many video game players find themselves returning to classic video games. With the advanced high definition graphics and motion control of today’s video games, why are so many people fascinated with the classics? “Even though modern game systems have amazing graphics and sound, the most important aspect of any video game is that it actually be fun to play. Because classic game systems, like the Atari 2600, had very simple graphics, game designers had to focus on the game-play. Those same games that were fun in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s are still just as much fun today,” stated Albert Yarusso, modern video game programmer and co-founder of AtariAge.com. It is also this simple pick up and play philosophy that makes for quick gaming without the need to invest in large amounts of time as many of today's games require.

"With video gaming being today’s main form of home entertainment, the history behind it should not be forgotten,” said Hardesty. “The Oklahoma Video Game Exhibition is providing the youth and their parents a chance to visit and interact with that past.”

Numerous video game systems, computers, and arcade machines, will be set up for the public to play plus tournaments and door prizes! Vendors and exhibitors will have memorabilia on display with many items for purchase.

Doors will open to the public at 9:00 a.m. and close at 5:00 p.m. Cost of admission for ages eight and above is $5 dollars at the door.

The OVGE is organized by gaming enthusiasts who want to share their hobby and passion for classic and modern video games with the public. For more information, visit www.ovge.com.

Jesse Hardesty , Founder & Organizer
    ovge@cox.net
    (918)724-7818

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

It's always a fun five-hour drive up to Tulsa for the show. Then a groggy drive back home. I look forward to it every year, and now that I've got myself a PC Engine I'll be looking for some import games and accessories. I have been buying less each year since I've gotten my hands on most of the stuff I really want. But I go to hang out with the folks from the forum. And get snarled in traffic at lunchtime. And now I have a new machine to feed games to.

Radical Dude Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like a lot of fun from the pictures I've seen on the website. I may try and head up this year. Could easily see myself going broke there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Awesome! I can't wait. I really REALLY look forward to this every year.

I need to start saving now. I had a bunch of money saved up but recently got into Metal Detecting. Naturally most of my free cash has gone into supplies and accessories for that.... now where is all that buried gold when I need it?

If Mad Gear decides to come back i'll need all the free cash I can muster. He has an insane amount of Saturn and PC Engine imports.

Other than that I'm going to be looking to flesh out my collection for Dreamcast and 3DO and then all my handhelds.

Rob, are you going to have any copies of Get Lamp for sale? Darren, you going to be able to make it this year?

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default OVGE Updates!

It has been long over due! But OVGE Headquarters has successfully relocated and we can resume late stage planning and getting ready for the show!

The website has been updated and has all current Vendors and Exhibitors listed. We have new faces this year so be sure to take a look and see and get your buying and trade lists ready for June 16th!

Might be able to squeeze one or two more tables into the ever growing layout but do send those emails if you want to reserve space or be placed on a cancellation list.

Thanks again everyone for your support of this event now in its ninth year and we will see you all in a few weeks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

OVGE is less than two weeks away. Roll call, please!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Badhornet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm still hoping to make it.......just wish I didn't live 10 hours away
    The 8 Bit Wonder

Follow me on Twitter: Ataritexas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Its this Saturday!!! Were so close...

I can't wait. As usual, I'll be there when the doors first open.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

I wanted to go, but I'll be camping instead.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

First off - great article Brett! Secondly, my sons Jordan, Kyle, and I are currently on vacation in San Diego and even though we've been to LegoLand, the Zoo, and three different beaches, OVGE is still the main topic of excitement around here! CAN'T WAIT!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
    First off - great article Brett! Secondly, my sons Jordan, Kyle, and I are currently on vacation in San Diego and even though we've been to LegoLand, the Zoo, and three different beaches, OVGE is still the main topic of excitement around here! CAN'T WAIT!!
    Thanks, Holt. And I hear ya. We're going to Orlando later this year and I'm more looking forward to Tulsa.

Insert Coin (Level 0) obliterator918's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    OVGE is less than two weeks away. Roll call, please!
    I'll be there, selling shirts as always, plus with a table full of Star Trek video game stuff (playable of course).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'm still planning on being there, unless something horrible and tragic happens along the way. I'm going on the assumption that the Indian Nation Turnpike is open, unlike last year. That put me a long way off course and behind schedule.

Insert Coin (Level 0) obliterator918's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Posted a few pics from OVGE 2012.

We had a great time.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Badhornet's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by obliterator918 View Post

We had a great time.
    Great pics. Thanks for sharing....looked fun!
    The 8 Bit Wonder

Follow me on Twitter: Ataritexas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slapdash View Post
    Anyone recall who the vendors/people in these booths were?

Portal 2 stuffies...
    https://picasaweb.google.com/brandon...39667131687202
    https://picasaweb.google.com/brandon...40205074942082
    https://picasaweb.google.com/brandon...39458880880386

This would be Katy with Penquinotic Designs. The does a lot of portal plushies, but also does commissions for other game characters as well.

Portal 2 ornaments...
    https://picasaweb.google.com/brandon...39693241479154
    https://picasaweb.google.com/brandon...39416048072146
    This was Deann Stone, Drew Stone's sister. She was making some of those ornaments during the event.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by obliterator918 View Post

We had a great time.
    Looks like you caught me and my 3 friends battling it out for the High Score on the Vectrex Star Trek game.

It was a lot of fun. I ended up scoring 17,600 points (probably unremarkable), but it was just enough to strip Chris from his self proclaimed title of Captain!

It was a fun show as usual, but this year there wasn't much there that I was looking for... I got away with more money in my wallet than I think I ever have at the show. 3do, Dreamcast and Saturn stuff were pretty much slim pickings, but I did manage to pick up a few complete PS 1 and Genesis games I had been looking for, so I was happy.

I was also VERY excited and VERY sad to see that the Addams Family pinball game was not turned on. I have read many times that it is considered one of the greatest pinball machines ever designed. I have kept a look out for it for years and when I finally found one I couldn't play it...lol. I guess it wasn't meant to be...

Let the count down for OVGE 2013 begin!