Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would make you sell your collection?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What would make you sell your collection?

*sigh*

My husband and I are trying to start a family this year, buy a place, and generally make the next big move in our lives.
    We both share an extensive collection of games and consoles that we treasure dearly, but in the depths of our realism, we know we can't keep all of this stuff forever and have each brough up to each other that maybe we should start selling things off.
    Not that we really want to, but that we know that there's a goldmine spanning across floor to ceiling shelves that could potentially be a large chunk of a down payment of a condo, or outfit a baby room.
    We've gone over options of getting backup units for the systems we play most and selling off the hundreds and hundreds of loose carts, only keeping the ones that we can't bear to part with.

We want our future child to be able to play all of the games that we grew up with, but keeping them all doesn't seem to be a wise option.

Of those who have sold part or all of their collections in the past, or are debating parting with them in the future, what made you do it?
    Closet Monsters: Custom and Retro Game Plushies Obesolete.etsy.com

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would sell my collection for a down-payment on a house, but not for a condo. I wouldn't even sell Gyromite for a down payment on a condo. A house has value to me, not so much on a condo. People are giving them away in some areas of the country. I heard a radio show about how people in Denver couldn't give away their Condos.

If the roof needs repair, YOUR MONTHLY dues go up. The fence needs to be replaced, your MONTHLY dues go up. Your neighbor stops paying their dues....YOUR monthly dues go up.

What is happening is some of the units are sitting empty because people lost their job, forclusure, they just cant sell the units,etc,...... you pay for it. If half of th units are empty, your dues double.

Now, dont get me wrong, I am sure their are great condos, they just dont fit my needs. I dont what someone else spending my money, deciding what color my house is, fix or not fixing my toilet when it breaks. But, I also had to buy a home with 10 acres, just so my neighbors can live without the fear of me killing them.

I have thought about selling my collection to buy one of my dream cars. I would have a hard time not selling them for a 47,48,49, 59 or 1960 Caddy with the right setup. I am just too lazy to sell it all. If someone would give me 50% of ebay prices for ALL of it, I would sell in a heartbeat. I would however keep about 10% of the games I really play.
    Last edited by MachineGex; 03-12-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really didn't want to go for the condo route, but it's the difference between $200k for a er,... "affordable" living arrangement versus a near $400k small house with patio for a yard at best. I just cant stand sinking almost 2k a month into the rental I'm in now.

Ugh, Toronto housing...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

They're just video games; none of it is irreplaceable. But if some of it actually is, and you're that attached, then keep that stuff and hock as much of the rest as you need to. Honestly, I think that you already know the answer to this one for yourself. You're just having trouble taking the first step, which is understandable.

What you should be focusing on is how to yield the best profit from what you're planning on letting go. You say that you're sitting on a gold mine, but are you really? What I'm saying is if you're stuff isn't going to net you the big numbers you seem to feel it will, then maybe it's not worth it to you guys to sell it.

As for what would make me sell my collection? Desperation. Plain and simple. I can't think of anything that I want (now) that would be worth selling my collection for at the moment since anything extravagant would probably cost significantly more than I could get for it all, and anything that costs less I could probably purchase without sacrificing my games which I would end up reacquiring all over all.

Ironically, NOT having a kid would be something I'd sell every game off to avoid. I'd fire sale it all in a heartbeat if Roe v. Wade got overturned and we needed to make an unscheduled pilgrimage to Canada, or somewhere besides Central America where women still had reproductive rights.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    They're just video games; none of it is irreplaceable. But if some of it actually is, and you're that attached, then keep that stuff and hock as much of the rest as you need to. Honestly, I think that you already know the answer to this one for yourself. You're just having trouble taking the first step, which is understandable.
    This is great advice for a first step. Take a look at what you have and decide the items that for whatever reason, you can't part with. Pick those things that are items that you can't part with because you know that you could never get back that particular item.

For instance, in my case, I have a copy of Earthbound. I fell in love with the game playing it from a rental store, and I bought this from a rental store with the box for $5.95. The cart is all ripped up, but it is *my* cart. I wouldn't trade it for a brand new copy of Earthbound.

But, my pile o' stuff like that is pretty small. A few Jaguar titles, my NES games from when I was a kid (like 15 of them), my 2600 games from when I was a kid (like 15 of them) and... that's about it, really. Everything else, I know that if I sold it, I could eventually get back an item of "equal" sentimental value to those, as I really don't have an attachment to those particular items.

If you can do that exercise and find out that your pile of stuff you feel that you really need to keep is huge, then you've got a problem. Otherwise, it is a great first step.

What you should be focusing on is how to yield the best profit from what you're planning on letting go. You say that you're sitting on a gold mine, but are you really? What I'm saying is if you're stuff isn't going to net you the big numbers you seem to feel it will, then maybe it's not worth it to you guys to sell it.
    This too -- you need to come up with a plan on how to sell things if you're going to do it. Gary and I started a long time ago the GOAT Store because I wanted to help gamers find different titles they wanted in the condition they wanted. When we did this, we were both collecting for the Jaguar and it was a crapshoot on if we would get a new game when we bought one online, or a game that looked like a dog ate it. EBay was in it's infancy at the time, and there was no good way to do it.

I bring this up only because the majority of the games we stock, we make less than $1.00 on, and it takes time to sell a lot of it. You also have to take into account that selling items individually is a royal pain in the butt when it comes to shipping them. Until we created tools to help us do it, I *hated* days we would have four or five orders for one game apiece, because it would take me forever to fill out the forms and whatnot and box them up. You could instead sell everything as a group, but expect to get between 50 and 75% of what the value would be if you sold individually... but how valuable is your time?

If you can do these two, I think that it is well worth it to look at selling at least part of your collection. A few years ago, I realized that I had far more GameCube, PS2 and Xbox titles than I ever was going to open or play. I've since sold probably 75% of them, and am working on playing or selling the rest. I have no real attachment to them, and the extra money that it got me helped me pay for a bunch of different stuff that I wanted to do, and I couldn't be happier about it. If you can get past that first step, I think you'll find yourself happy with your decision
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    But, I also had to buy a home with 10 acres, just so my neighbors can live without the fear of me killing them.
    Must be wonderful. I grew up surrounded by trees on all sides of me, and I don't care for living in a neighborhood. Trees are much better neighbors than people. Perhaps one day I can return to the sanctuary of the woods. I'd trade the non-essentials (80% I don't play) of my collection for that.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

keep whats most important to you and sell the rest. Ive sold collections for various reasons over the years. At drastic low points (for drugs, angry girlfriends, etc.), to times when I just had to (lack of interest in the system, space, greater interest in a different item and needed the cash from selling games, etc...).....Ive never gotten rid of my famicom stuff though and to this day Ive amassed an incredible collection of rarities. Maybe you and your husband should find a common ground, one or two consoles you both enjoy the most and can focus on collecting together, sell the rest and just stick to said consoles. Who knows maybe down the road after youve had a few kids you guys can focus on a wider scale collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're absolutely right.

We're still in the stages of discussing what we would keep and what would go.
    I could honestly get rid of everything but my nes and snes(save for current consoles of course)
    We have hundreds and HUNDREDS of things to go through.

The majority is nes and snes games that would be sold, many are boxed with inserts, and we don't have many "Junk" games. No dead batteries too.
    The other systems we have have an average of 30-50 games a piece, all I could do without.

I had an idea as I was just participating in a Comic convention this weekend and was shocked to see a video game booth with inflated prices. People were EATING this up. I could easily man a booth and unload a large portion of games and systems at reasonable prices.

Anything left over I could throw up on forums, I'd rather avoid ebay at all costs.

I'm not sure, I'm just throwing out ideas at this stage of the game. All I know is that we're going to have to lighten the load within the next year or two.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by obesolete View Post
    *sigh*

Of those who have sold part or all of their collections in the past, or are debating parting with them in the future, what made you do it?
    I predict your life is going to get very busy, very quick! I used to be a big collector back in the day, but they mainly sit in plastic bins in my spare room of my house, dominating a wall along with my comic book bin and life-size replica of Darth Maul.
    My wife doesn't like the fact that the room can't be used for anything other than a "stuff" room, and I'm trying to reduce my "treasures" so that I'd be the lamest episode of "hoarders" ever.

My comments are similar to what others have already said in the thread. The first question is, are there any game systems that you've collected just because they were there while you were collecting for the systems you really wanted? If so, get rid of those systems. I had a partial Atari 5200 collection, but I never played the system when it was originally out, it didn't have the nostalgic "pull" when I looked at them, so out they went and I have never regretted it. My Odyssey^2 system is up for sale next (I'm a 2600 guy, and Pick Axe Pete has no sway with me!). I've also sold off all of my duplicate video games, one copy is good enough for me.

Next question, do you really need backup units? The reason I ask is .. as long as digitpress and other "retro" sites are around, and while ebay is still around, someone is going to always be selling game systems. If yours breaks, you can probably have a perfectly usable system in your (NEW PLACE OF RESIDENCE) in a week or two, and it's not going to cost an arm or a leg.

Third, do you really want *all* the games for a system, or just the ones you really like or partially like? I sold off a lot of NES games that I would realistically never, ever play again. And if I did want to play them, chances are it can be done on an emulator or a cheap purchase on the Wii virtual console.

I'm whittling down my collection to the systems that either have major nostalgic pull with me or systems that are just limited to the "greatest hits", with a minimum of duplicates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Keep the stuff you still play (or intend to play at some point).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had to part with of my Atari 2600 collection 2 years ago when I was unemployed for 5 months. I had every game for the system plus a large collection of PAL games. Last year I had to part with my Genesis collection due to open heart surgery and being out of work on disability for 3 months. Collectiing $170.00 a week on disability forced me to sell.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by rocky412 View Post
    I had to part with of my Atari 2600 collection 2 years ago when I was unemployed for 5 months. I had every game for the system plus a large collection of PAL games. Last year I had to part with my Genesis collection due to open heart surgery and being out of work on disability for 3 months. Collectiing $170.00 a week on disability forced me to sell.
    How much did you make off of those sales, if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by littaum View Post
    My comments are similar to what others have already said in the thread. The first question is, are there any game systems that you've collected just because they were there while you were collecting for the systems you really wanted?

Next question, do you really need backup units? The reason I ask is .. as long as digitpress and other "retro" sites are around, and while ebay is still around, someone is going to always be selling game systems.

Third, do you really want *all* the games for a system, or just the ones you really like or partially like?
    1. yes, I have several. All of the "extra" systems we'll call it, were ones that I had always wanted to try as a kid. I'm impartial to those and will have no problem getting rid of them

2. By backup units, I mean copiers, flash carts etc. If I can back up things, I won't have to worry about hanging on to games that I can easily play from a backup.

3. see number 2 =)

I would keep my systems that I would still want to play, but I really don't need 3 NESes, 2 Mastersystems, etc., you know?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

If you have an emergency and are low on money, it's the time to realize it's just stuff and yourself is more important than it. This is why I am selling almost everything I have. I really have to finish pricing everything and listing the rest of my stuff. I've only gotten about half listed. I have more games for PS1 and PS2 than anything else.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only dire financial need would get me to sell my collection. I could never get 1/10th of the time and effort I've put into accruing it back out of selling it and I'd want to die to have to collect it all again.

The only other thing to make me part with my collection would be a life calling that had me leave this country. Even so, I'm pretty sure my family would store it for me, knowing what it means to me. Heck, my dad helped me build the custom oak shelves that house my SNES games. He's as proud of them as I am. Giving those shelves away would be a tragedy because they're art in and of themselves.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Yeah I can't bring myself to get rid of the CIB copy of Ms. Pac-Man for Genesis that my grandma and I both played all the time. My grandma was essentially my mom growing up and memories of her are very dear to me.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    True Rush Fan

Getting about twice what I paid for games I no longer play would make me sell.
    That's about it.
    Oh, and the other things I use less would have to be sold first, of course.
    Last edited by Lerxstnj; 03-26-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    WANT LIST:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...older=Wishlist

ALSO WANTED: Dreamcast Sports Edition empty box

FOR SALE/TRADE:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...r+Sale%2FTrade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would have to be something pretty major for me to sell off my entire collection; no place to live, or needing money to pay off a huge medical bill for myself or my family are what comes to mind. If I needed the space for my family I'm sure I wouldn't mind too much parting with some things, but those that are really sought after or hard to find would still be kept in the hope I could rebuild.

I've seen quite a number of threads from people who had to sell off collections, and sell of the crown jewels first to net the most money. They then kick themselves later when they try to require them and find out that they really shouldn't have sold them if they wanted to own them again someday.

Nothing is more important to me than my health and my family, so as much as I enjoy them games will always come in a distant second place.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How much did you make off of those sales, if you don't mind sharing.
    I made about $5000 for the Atari games and about $1800 for the Genesis collection.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My collection was far smaller than yours to start, and is far smaller than it used to be.

At it's peak, I had about 500 games across about a 12 systems.

I bought a house, and started a family, and unloaded a lot of my stuff.

Here's what I can add. Keep the stuff you are sentimental about, no matter the value. Get ready of the valuable stuff no matter how "interesting"

I'm down to about 100 games across a half dozen systems. It's still too much to play, but I kept things like:

Genesis games I got as a kid from my parents. It takes me back to my youth.

Dreamcast games I used to play with my sister and my girlfriend (now my wife).

Sega Saturn stuff that I used to save hard earned first job money.

The stuff I got rid off was the valuable things/ things I had no attachment to.

The Virtual Boy, Dragon Force on the Saturn, items that came in lots, or I though would be interesting to have.

I miss some items, but nothing terribly.

At one point I did get rid of some stuff I did love, common Genesis games, the valuable Saturn games that I did love (PDS, Guardian Heroes, Shining Force 3)

Within a month I regretted it, and had to buy them all back.

That would be my advice. Keep the things you love, get rid of the things you have. Any easy way to tell the story of the item, if it starts like "I used to play this all the time..." Keep it.
    If the story is more like "I bought this item down town for way more than I should have." get rid of it.

Put a number to it if it's too hard. Aim to cut your collection by say a third, and figure out what goes.
    Last edited by crazyjackcsa; 03-12-2012 at 05:04 PM.