Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you buy same games across multiple platforms?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Do you buy same games across multiple platforms?

Like Gyruss on 2600, 5200, and Colecovision, or Phantom 2040 on Genesis, SNES, and Game Gear?

Or do you just buy a single copy for any one of the systems and that's enough?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Normally I only collect multiple versions if they're actually different in important ways. Several RPGs that originated on computers but later got ported to the NES for example are almost completely different games between platforms.

Other times, I own a game in a compilation but set out to get a stand-alone version simply because there's something about the compilation version I don't like, or else because the stand-alone has more collectors value or sentimental value.

Sometimes I own both a Japanese and an English version of a game on the same platform, but as I don't know Japanese I haven't seen a lot of reason to do this.

I've recently learned to appreciate one benefit of owning multiple versions: since I have more consoles now, I can't keep them all hooked up, but if a game I like is available for multiple consoles (say, Street Fighter II for example) then problem solved.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 03-13-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do this quite often, mainly when arcade games got ported to multiple different systems as the ports are all different from one another. It's the same with Japanese versions and US versions of the same game, especially if they have some things cut out from the US release. One game that immediately comes to mind is the Famicom version of Salamander. The main game is the same, but due to a custom Konami mapper chip which is non-existent in its US counterpart, Life Force, Salamander has several different things that are different or outright missing from Life Force, such as:

-The ability to carry 3 Options instead of two
    -An animated title screen that looks MUCH nicer than the static Life Force title screen
    -A completely different status bar
    -Different endings depending on how many continues you use (MUCH better than the stupid static Konami logo in Life Force)

I even like to get compilations released for multiple different platforms as the quality of the ports varies from system to system. I can think of 3 examples: Gradius Deluxe Pack, Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus and Midway Arcade Treasures 3. Gradius Deluxe Pack was released for the PlayStation, Saturn and Windows 95 PC and every version has its differences. The PlayStation version has higher quality sound and is generally more faithful to the original boards (but plays like absolute crap on a PlayStation 2), the Saturn version has horribly degraded sound quality and the PC version has terrible music and very quiet sound effects, but is editable as the sound files are just renamed WAV files. Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus got a release on the PlayStation and Saturn as well (not for PC, though), and again, the PlayStation version has MUCH higher quality sound (it sounds horrible on the Saturn and has some sound pitch issues) and the graphics are closer to the original board than the Saturn version. Midway Arcade Treasures 3 was released for the Xbox, PlayStation 2, GameCube and PC (as Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe Edition, which also has Midway Arcade Treasures 2), and the quality of the ports varies greatly between the 4 versions. The Xbox version is quite good, though I did hear about San Francisco Rush 2049 corrupting your save data at times (never had this happen, though), the GameCube version has some slowdown issues and missing menu music in Race Drivin', the PC version has no analog control whatsoever and missing sound effects in San Francisco Rush the Rock, and the PlayStation 2 is a glitchy mess FULL of speed issues, graphical errors and audio glitches.

So there you have it. I do buy multiple versions of the same game, and each version I get is a different experience.
    Last edited by Ace; 03-13-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Like Gyruss on 2600, 5200, and Colecovision, or Phantom 2040 on Genesis, SNES, and Game Gear?

Or do you just buy a single copy for any one of the systems and that's enough?
    For older cartridge based systems I'll but them all since I collect them.

I stopped collecting for CD based systems however and will only buy a game if its a sequel and not just the same game with just better graphics.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I even did this on newer systems where different ports were the same. I mainly did it to give myself extra reasons to re-play my favorite games. Just to use a different controller each time gave it a different feel.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I buy a game across multiple platforms because of the differences, but I tend to only buy a game on one platform for modern consoles. For modern consoles, most games are identical enough where it really doesn't matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought Shadow of the Beast II three times; first for Amiga, then for Genesis, and finally for Sega CD.
    The Amiga version I bought for the badass cover art, and it turned out to be an excellent, but extremely difficult game.
    The Genesis version was cheap and I figured 'why not?' and it turned out to be a lot easier than the Amiga version.
    The Sega CD version was also cheap, and featured completely redone graphics and sound, and it was worth it just to experience the game again with a fresh coat of paint.
    If I owned an FM Towns Marty, I'd probably buy that version as well, just to see how much of an improvement it is over the Sega CD game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only game i have gotten for multiple systems is mortal kombat trilgoy which i have for psx,saturn and n64.I mostly try not to get the same game across multiple systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukenukem View Post
    Only game i have gotten for multiple systems is mortal kombat trilgoy which i have for psx,saturn and n64.I mostly try not to get the same game across multiple systems.
    Funny, the only game I've ever bought cross platform was mk1 for snes and genesis. The snes version looked and sounded better to me while the genesis played better and had blood. That's my opinion anyways... Funny thing is I just picked up the original arcade trilogy on psn.
    I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice. -James "Logan" Howlett

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the older systems, I have to think I am missing out on some real differences if I leave out a copy. Also, the hardware and controllers were highly different between those consoles for a different look and feel in playing each copy.

Newer (current gen) games are similar enough that I don't know if I'd bother, that is if I collected current gen.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Yes, but that's usually because the PC and console versions were different.

Well, used to be different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I buy a game across multiple platforms because of the differences, but I tend to only buy a game on one platform for modern consoles. For modern consoles, most games are identical enough where it really doesn't matter.
    Same with the last two generations. I try to get the best of the three versions (assuming the GC got one, but more realistically, the best from between the Xbox and the PS2). Since my PS1 is unmodded, I have to rely primarily on Youtube and reviewers, because getting the wrong game can be costly. :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have Okami for both the Wii and the PS2 because I was curious about how it would play on the Wii- plus I grabbed the game new for like $12 online.

Pac-Man and his clan stretch across multiple systems in my collection.

I have the Famicom version of Kung-Fu (Spartan-X), which I snapped up for kicks for the cartoonish Jackie Chan cover art. I also have the Commodore 64 version with "Master" tacked on to the end, just like the arcade version.

Karate Champ is on both my NES and iPod Touch.

For both the Atari 2600 and the NES I have Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, Joust, Q-bert, and Popeye. I also have the first two on the Commodore 64.

Space Invaders for the 2600 and SNES.

I also have a bunch of Virtual Console games on the Wii that I have the physical carts for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've done this several times over the years. Desert Falcon on the Atari 2600 and 7800, Basketbrawl on the Atari 7800 and Lynx, Shadow of the Beast games for the Amiga, Genesis, Sega CD, and Atari Lynx, Todd's Adventures In Slime World for the Lynx and Genesis, Commando for the NES, Atari 7800, Intellivision, and Atari 2600, and far more recently Roadkill for the Xbox, GameCube, and PS2.

The game has to be something I really liked in its original release, enough to see how it compares on different platforms.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zionmaster00
    PSN
    nahtaNsreteP-00z

I always get copies on different older consoles, because they always tend to have a decent amount of changes to make the game feel different. On modern consoles though I buy all Multiplats on X360, and only exclusives for PS3 and Wii. That will probably change when we get the next generation though, because there are still differences in games nowadays, like system exclusive characters in fighting games, and pretty much everything on the Wii is very different from the X360 or PS3 versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only time I have really ever done this was with the Final Fantasy and Ogre Battle series ports/revamps on the Playstation, GBA, and PSP. I wouldn't bother with games/series that I don't really really love.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Razo00

I'm a sucker for getting street fighters for multiple systems. Till this day I still enjoy playing Street Fighter II CE (Genesis) and Street Fighter II turbo (Snes).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I've owned every SF game for SNES, SFC, and Genesis, despite them being largely redundant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I buy multiple copies of games that I really like, but generally speaking I'll only get it for a preferred platform unless I happen to have it for something else and get it again just so I can play it on a preferred system. I've done that for several 360 games that I've bought the PS3 counterparts for just because I've come to appreciate the DuelShock 3 as a superior controller to the 360 one. Plus, it saves me from having to hook up my 360 except on rare occasions.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have most Street Fighter 2 Games on every system..including on the Master System