Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Wii games still be produced after the Wii U is released?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a Gamecube with waggle. How much potential could it really have?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post

0.5/10 for non-original trolling.
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Trolling would involve some sort of disingenuous hyperbole.
    I'm dead serious. The thing was a box of gimmicks from day one.
    Proper sequels to Mario Golf, F-Zero, Pikmin, or Luigi's mansion would have been great, but I'd just as soon have them on GC.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Companies deciding whether or not to develop Wii games are not going to consider someone's opinion of the Wii, they are going to look at how many Wiis are out there. Gamecube sold 22 million, but Wii sold 68 million, so obviously there's money to be made by shoveling titles onto the Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    Companies deciding whether or not to develop Wii games are not going to consider someone's opinion of the Wii, they are going to look at how many Wiis are out there. Gamecube sold 22 million, but Wii sold 68 million, so obviously there's money to be made by shoveling titles onto the Wii.
    I guess that's why there are so many GBA and PS2 games coming out these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Trolling would involve some sort of disingenuous hyperbole.
    I'm dead serious. The thing was a box of gimmicks from day one.
    Proper sequels to Mario Golf, F-Zero, Pikmin, or Luigi's mansion would have been great, but I'd just as soon have them on GC.
    I seriously thought that they would make a Pilot Wings for the Wii, since it was announced that the franchise was skipping the GC in favor of another platform. It turns out that after all of those years of waiting, that the other platform was the 3DS?
    Last edited by Gamevet; 03-18-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Obvious troll is obvious.

As to the OP besides The Last Story,Xenoblade & Pandoras Tower this year a TBA is for Dragon Quest X for both Wii & Wii-U also TBA is Rhodea Sky Soldier from Prope for Wii & 3DS.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you're including games with no signs of having a North American release like Pandoras Tower, the recently reconfirmed Fatal Frame 2 remake for Japan and Europe is worth a mention.

It very well might be the last Wii release of any interest to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I guess that's why there are so many GBA and PS2 games coming out these days.
    A PS2 game came out a couple of weeks ago, five years after the PS3 came out. The last GBA game came out in 2008, three years after the DS came out. This further supports the notion that the Wii will have games for years to come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

A PS2 game came out a couple of weeks ago, five years after the PS3 came out. The last GBA game came out in 2008, three years after the DS came out. This further supports the notion that the Wii will have games for years to come.
    Judging by the release dates on IGN, it's looking pretty abysmal.

http://wii.ign.com/index/release.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

I still think the biggest problem for the Wii that the PS2 didn't really have was burnout. The Wii sold like mad for at least a good 2-3 years. Then once everyone and their grandmother had one, it hit the skids, at least for console sales. This loss of momentum coupled with the fact that we were inundated with hundreds of crap games overwhelming the good (and some very great) games at store shelves I think hurt the perception of the Wii moving forward.

I don't know how this perception will directly affect the market status of the Wii in the next couple of years, but it's something the PS2 never really had to contend with. Not saying the PS2 had its fair share of crap, every successful console does - but the Wii set a new bar for pretty much allowing ANYTHING to get published. People generally LOVED their PS2s, I feel that the majority of people wouldn't miss the Wii - they just picked it up to play a couple of the popular titles.
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wii sold 68 million
    Actually, 95 million as of January 2012.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't know, there wasn't really much in the way of late releases for the Gamecube other than the Zelda game and frankly, the Wii was 100% backward compatible at release, so I can't see much coming out after the WiiU comes out. Frankly, other than sports games and some stuff that was converted from the PSP, I don't know why people seem to think that the PS2 has been "supported". It's not like Sony or anyone else put major development resources into it after the PS3 released.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Frankly, other than sports games and some stuff that was converted from the PSP, I don't know why people seem to think that the PS2 has been "supported". .
    It goes back to the original title of this thread. The OP wanted to know if they will still be making Wii games when WiiU comes out. He didn't say "supported," so any sports game or whatever should count.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Judging by the release dates on IGN, it's looking pretty abysmal.

http://wii.ign.com/index/release.html
    Yes, the number of games will definitely be declining, but I imagine that shovelware titles are not announced a year in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DOAsaturn View Post
    I still think the biggest problem for the Wii that the PS2 didn't really have was burnout. The Wii sold like mad for at least a good 2-3 years. Then once everyone and their grandmother had one, it hit the skids, at least for console sales. This loss of momentum coupled with the fact that we were inundated with hundreds of crap games overwhelming the good (and some very great) games at store shelves I think hurt the perception of the Wii moving forward.

I don't know how this perception will directly affect the market status of the Wii in the next couple of years, but it's something the PS2 never really had to contend with. Not saying the PS2 had its fair share of crap, every successful console does - but the Wii set a new bar for pretty much allowing ANYTHING to get published. People generally LOVED their PS2s, I feel that the majority of people wouldn't miss the Wii - they just picked it up to play a couple of the popular titles.
    From the older gamer's perspective (like us), yes there is a ton of fatigue with the Wii. It certainly won't last as long as the PS2. However, I imagine that some young kids are still playing the thing, and those late releases will be crapware targeting the unsuspecting suburban mom who isn't going to be buying a WiiU on day one.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Frankly, other than sports games and some stuff that was converted from the PSP, I don't know why people seem to think that the PS2 has been "supported". It's not like Sony or anyone else put major development resources into it after the PS3 released.
    It's not supported much after the release of the next version, but much more than any other system to date. It's not just sports games either. Persona 3 was released before the PS3 in Japan, FES, that included additional content was released afterwards. I'm pointing out Persona 3 only because work on Persona 4 probably didn't start until after Persona 3 was finished or later. Persona 4 was released in 2008, almost two years after the release of the PS3 in Japan, past two years in the US.

The PS2 got a decent amount of support compared to pretty much any other console. Something we can compare right now is the DS. At the same point in time after the release of the previous console, the PS2 was still getting a somewhat decent amount of games. Most of them may have been multiconsole titles or ports, but still getting releases all the same. It did get its fair share of exclusives as well, though.

Off topic, but check out the releases coming out for the PSP. For PAL owners, unless you import Gungnir, Growlanser, and probably Persona 2 from the US you should move along as there's nothing more to see. Even sports games don't make the listing, but they do in the Japan listing. Looking at the Japan release list and . The Japanese really love the PSP.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Look, I'm not doubting the premise that the PS2 continued to be supported or that it has been better supported than any other console of its age. There were even a few good games for the PS2 after the PS3 was released. Having said that, I think it's a little silly to get too excited about the possibility of the Wii continuing to be supported or have releases for it after the WiiU comes out. Sure, there may be a few titles that were too late to switch over to the new platform just like there always are, but other than from the collectors perspective of buying the last release or something along those lines, I have yet to see an older platform get something amazing once the new hardware is released.

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It's not supported much after the release of the next version, but much more than any other system to date. It's not just sports games either. Persona 3 was released before the PS3 in Japan, FES, that included additional content was released afterwards. I'm pointing out Persona 3 only because work on Persona 4 probably didn't start until after Persona 3 was finished or later. Persona 4 was released in 2008, almost two years after the release of the PS3 in Japan, past two years in the US.

The PS2 got a decent amount of support compared to pretty much any other console. Something we can compare right now is the DS. At the same point in time after the release of the previous console, the PS2 was still getting a somewhat decent amount of games. Most of them may have been multiconsole titles or ports, but still getting releases all the same. It did get its fair share of exclusives as well, though.

Off topic, but check out the releases coming out for the PSP. For PAL owners, unless you import Gungnir, Growlanser, and probably Persona 2 from the US you should move along as there's nothing more to see. Even sports games don't make the listing, but they do in the Japan listing. Looking at the Japan release list and . The Japanese really love the PSP.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by DOAsaturn View Post
    Point taken - I can really see it going both ways I guess. I'm really more curious to see how collectible the Wii is long term. Every Nintendo console up to the Wii/DS has it's avid "gotta have 'em all" collectors. I'd be shocked if that trend continues on with the Wii or DS...
    This is exacy why I asked the forum... you just put my real question in much better words. by what I asked I meant not only were they going to make more wii games, but are collectors even going to value any new software Nintendo releases? This is why I am dreading the Wii U's release. I just want the old Nintendo back who loves to make quality games for avid gamers. I really just want them to release another REAL gaming system, one that meets the standards for a system with no gimmicks and one that revives gaming that isn't FPS's and MMORPG's. How about Ultra Nintendo with controllers that don't have too many buttons, quality use of all the franchises they have controll of, and to get back into the gaming scene as not only family friendly but hardcore too. Please Nintendo, make things right.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstar Hero View Post
    This is exacy why I asked the forum... you just put my real question in much better words. by what I asked I meant not only were they going to make more wii games, but are collectors even going to value any new software Nintendo releases? This is why I am dreading the Wii U's release. I just want the old Nintendo back who loves to make quality games for avid gamers. I really just want them to release another REAL gaming system, one that meets the standards for a system with no gimmicks and one that revives gaming that isn't FPS's and MMORPG's. How about Ultra Nintendo with controllers that don't have too many buttons, quality use of all the franchises they have controll of, and to get back into the gaming scene as not only family friendly but hardcore too. Please Nintendo, make things right.
    I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. There are plenty of "real" and frankly great games on the Wii that are exclusives including such recent releases as Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. and the upcoming Last Story and Xenoblade. Those games will be sought by collectors many years from now because they are great games regardless of the fact that they may have a motion control component. Nintendo has never been geared to "hardcore" gamers whatever that means. Nintendo is a company that creates enduring characters and then uses those characters in its games, some of which are amazing and some which are less so. Ultimately, Nintendo has always catered to children and families, but the gameplay on its first party games is generally compelling and addictive enough that teenagers and older gamers end up really enjoying them as well. If you don't enjoy many of the remarkable first party releases on the Wii, I can guarantee the WiiU isn't going to change your mind and complaining that you want essentially a third console similar to the next versions of the Xbox and Playstation is not only absurd, but not sustainable in this economic environment.