Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Wii games still be produced after the Wii U is released?

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. There are plenty of "real" and frankly great games on the Wii that are exclusives including such recent releases as Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. and the upcoming Last Story and Xenoblade. Those games will be sought by collectors many years from now because they are great games regardless of the fact that they may have a motion control component. Nintendo has never been geared to "hardcore" gamers whatever that means. Nintendo is a company that creates enduring characters and then uses those characters in its games, some of which are amazing and some which are less so. Ultimately, Nintendo has always catered to children and families, but the gameplay on its first party games is generally compelling and addictive enough that teenagers and older gamers end up really enjoying them as well. If you don't enjoy many of the remarkable first party releases on the Wii, I can guarantee the WiiU isn't going to change your mind and complaining that you want essentially a third console similar to the next versions of the Xbox and Playstation is not only absurd, but not sustainable in this economic environment.
    I wasn't saying I didn't enjoy the Wii, I was saying I don't think I will enjoy the Wii U. I am a fan of the Wii for it's honoring old franchises and reviving them with great remakes and sequels. This is why I am asking if wii games will keep being made. I like how it can use motion control, and on the Wii remote it almost mirrors an NES controller. Please next time read before you bash my comments.

I know Nintendo has been geared toward families in the past, but the challenge was there too. I think the new games are becoming too easy is all. I'm not saying EVERY game is way too easy, just the average amount of games.

I am not asking for a Nintendo Xbox clone, as that would imply that they would rely on FPS's, which I made abundantly clear I DO NOT WANT. But if it was like an Xbox or PS3 but with Nintendo games, would that be a bad thing? I think not.

So to conclude, re-evaluate your comment.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstar Hero View Post
    I wasn't saying I didn't enjoy the Wii, I was saying I don't think I will enjoy the Wii U. I am a fan of the Wii for it's honoring old franchises and reviving them with great remakes and sequels. This is why I am asking if wii games will keep being made. I like how it can use motion control, and on the Wii remote it almost mirrors an NES controller. Please next time read before you bash my comments.

I know Nintendo has been geared toward families in the past, but the challenge was there too. I think the new games are becoming too easy is all. I'm not saying EVERY game is way too easy, just the average amount of games.

I am not asking for a Nintendo Xbox clone, as that would imply that they would rely on FPS's, which I made abundantly clear I DO NOT WANT. But if it was like an Xbox or PS3 but with Nintendo games, would that be a bad thing? I think not.

I did read your comments. I would suggest you take the time to do the same. How is "I want the old Nintendo back who makes quality games for avid gamers" or "I really just want them to release another REAL gaming system, one that meets the standards for a system with no gimmicks and one that revives gaming that isn't FPS's and MMORPG's" consistent with what you just wrote? That implies that somehow the Wii isn't that "old Nintendo" and that the Wii has a gimmick that you don't like. It also implies that just because the WiiU has an additional interface option that it somehow won't qualify as good either. Nintendo has always employed novel control and interface options, whether that's the ROB or the light gun from the original NES or the mouse on the SNES or the unique controller on the N64. The WiiU is just the next step in that progression. Maybe the tablet controller will be great and maybe it won't, but as of now, Nintendo certainly hasn't said that anyone will be forced to control any game using it. Heck, on the Wii, you could still use Gamecube controllers or the classic controller up until recently. No reason to think the WiiU won't be the same.

The Xbox and PS3 have a huge variety of games outside of the FPS genre and continually harping on that just supports my belief that you are confused about what is out there and what Nintendo offers that the other two major companies do not. Nintendo has decided in the Wii and the WiiU that great games and unique interfaces trump bleeding edge specs. I personally can't dispute that approach as it has made Nintendo billions of dollars and put a Wii in 90+ million households. So, no, I don't want a console with the same specs as a PS4 or Xbox Whatever from Nintendo. If that's all they plan to deliver, they'd be better off going the Sega route and just becoming a software developer/publisher.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

I did read your comments. I would suggest you take the time to do the same. How is "I want the old Nintendo back who makes quality games for avid gamers" or "I really just want them to release another REAL gaming system, one that meets the standards for a system with no gimmicks and one that revives gaming that isn't FPS's and MMORPG's" consistent with what you just wrote? That implies that somehow the Wii isn't that "old Nintendo" and that the Wii has a gimmick that you don't like. It also implies that just because the WiiU has an additional interface option that it somehow won't qualify as good either. Nintendo has always employed novel control and interface options, whether that's the ROB or the light gun from the original NES or the mouse on the SNES or the unique controller on the N64. The WiiU is just the next step in that progression. Maybe the tablet controller will be great and maybe it won't, but as of now, Nintendo certainly hasn't said that anyone will be forced to control any game using it. Heck, on the Wii, you could still use Gamecube controllers or the classic controller up until recently. No reason to think the WiiU won't be the same.

The Xbox and PS3 have a huge variety of games outside of the FPS genre and continually harping on that just supports my belief that you are confused about what is out there and what Nintendo offers that the other two major companies do not. Nintendo has decided in the Wii and the WiiU that great games and unique interfaces trump bleeding edge specs. I personally can't dispute that approach as it has made Nintendo billions of dollars and put a Wii in 90+ million households. So, no, I don't want a console with the same specs as a PS4 or Xbox Whatever from Nintendo. If that's all they plan to deliver, they'd be better off going the Sega route and just becoming a software developer/publisher.
    I apologize I did not know there would be an option to not use the tablet controller, as I just am not a fan of this way of gaming. I was talking about the Wii U when I mentioned a gimmick, referring to the tablet controllers. I will probably end up getting one to see what it's like, so until then I guess I can't judge the Wii U... this is all just based on what I have heard about the system. I guess by saying "old Nintendo" I really meant the old developers who made difficult games for Nintendo's other systems. I have really not seen many games that are being advertised by 3rd party developers AND that are geared toward older gamers (Well at least not nearly as many as previous consoles). Maybe I need to search harder, or maybe there just aren't that many. Now that you mention it, I agree a Nintendo system similar to the Xbox wouldn't be the best approach, especially if that means going the "Sega road". I am sorry for not clearing things up before and hope this clears things up now. Thank you for at least shedding some light on topics I was confused about. If you cannot already tell I am much more of a retro gamer than a modern one, and I am certainly not an expert on modern games and devices. I mean not to troll or be a bother .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The tablet looks like an improvement to me. It at least has a reasonable button layout.
    Of course, I'd prefer a system 10x more powerful than a PS3 that comes with HRAPs as the default controller, but I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I imagine the Wii U will come with a set of Wii controls out of the box for backwards compatibility with the Wii and Wii U motion gaming.

I don't know, there wasn't really much in the way of late releases for the Gamecube other than the Zelda game and frankly, the Wii was 100% backward compatible at release, so I can't see much coming out after the WiiU comes out. Frankly, other than sports games and some stuff that was converted from the PSP, I don't know why people seem to think that the PS2 has been "supported". It's not like Sony or anyone else put major development resources into it after the PS3 released.
    There will be something like 100 million Wii's out there this fall. I can assure you a developer isn't going to automatically dismiss the platform just because the Wii U is out on the market. If anything, beyond the traditional fair (1st party Nintendo releases and major 3rd party games), I suspect Wii U backwards compatibility will help ensure the scores of budget games aimed at the casual gamer will keep the Wii's release schedule at least semi busy for years to come. And I don't know why you think Wii U backwards compatibility apparently makes it even less likely for the Wii to see more releases. Logic dictates the situation would be exactly the opposite since Wii U gamers will still have the option to enjoy Wii releases (Along with those 100 million Wii's out there)

And to me, something like Motorstorm Arctic Edge, a PSP port back in 2008 or so, most certainly qualifies as "support". Seems like a odd distinction to consider it otherwise.

Was the Xbox barely ever supported just because the vast majority of 3rd party projects were PS2 ports? I don't think you'd find much support for such a notion.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-29-2015 at 02:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    And I don't know why you think WiiU backwards compatibility apparantly makes it even less likely for the Wii to see more releases. Logic dictates the situation would be exactly the opposite since WiiU gamers will still have the option to enjoy Wii releases (Along with those 100 million Wii's out there)
    Well, that didn't happen with the GC, despite the Wii's perfect backward compatibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Edit - I'm not sure why I thought Bojay was suggesting that Wii U BC will make it even less likely that the Wii will be supported since I don't see that in his replies just now after rereading them. So ignore that bit of my argument.

The GameCube was all but abandoned by consumers well before release of its replacement and had less than quarter of the amount of consoles out there that the Wii has. Beyond Twilight Princess after the Wii was released, there had been very little activity on the console for a long time and there was little activity shortly after Twilight Princess was released. There's little that Wii GCN support could've done to actually bring back any sort of life to that platform.

The Wii has added something upwards of 10 million consoles in the past 6 months or so. My impression of the Wii is that it's still selling halfway decently for a 5 year old underpowered console and many Wii owners are still regularly using it (Although new releases of any major interest to people like us has dwindled to a trickle and I'm sure will be drying up completely soon). Wii U backwards compatibility is just going to encourage that to last for longer than it would've otherwise.

I suspect the Wii is going to remain the system of choice for budget releases, releases aimed at young children, minigame collections, casual games, etc (And I would look for Nintendo's apparently successful Selects line of rereleases to continue). Wii U backwards compatibility is just going to help encourage that material to continue to be released on the Wii.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-29-2015 at 02:51 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

And the GameCube was all but abandoned by consumers well before release and had less than quarter of the amount of consoles out there that the Wii has. Beyond Twilight Princess after the Wii was released, there had been very little activity on the console for a long time and there was little activity shortly after Twilight Princess was released. There's little that Wii GCN support could've done to actually bring back any sort of life to that platform.

The Wii has added something upwards of 10 million consoles in the past 6 months or so. My impression of the Wii is that it's still selling halfway decently for a 5 year old underpowered console and many Wii owners are still regularly using it (Although new releases of any major interest to people like us has dwindled to a trickle).

I suspect the Wii is going to remain the system of choice for budget releases, releases aimed at young children, minigame collections, casual games, etc. And WiiU backwards compatibility is just going to help encourage that material to continue to be released on the Wii.
    I guess you haven't seen the attach rate data for the Wii. It's gotten to the point where even the budget publishers aren't bothering anymore. I don't think there has been a new Wii release from the usual suspects like Zoo or Storm City since early Fall of 2011. Maximum Family Games has even moved on to the Xbox 360. The reality is that the audience outside of collectors who continue to play a console after the next generation has been released is generally the same audience who buys used games and isn't too interested in cheap but very mediocre or downright poor new games. The WiiU hasn't even been released and doesn't even have a firm US release date, but the number of upcoming Wii releases is literally tiny. There's no way some publisher is going to suddenly see it as an opportunity a year or two from now when the user base is a fraction of what it is today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You don't even typically see most Wii releases on release list months ahead of time. I'm sure the shovelware will continue for an extended period. Many shovelware publishers concentrate on the Fall with few releases before the end of summer.

And what's attach rate data prove? That's number of games sold divided by number of consoles sold. How exactly are you using that number to show that publishers aren't even bothering with the platform now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It proves that Wii owners aren't buying many games, which makes supporting the platform less attractive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    It proves that Wii owners aren't buying many games, which makes supporting the platform less attractive.
    If consumers were buying too few games you'd of seen its effects much earlier. The Wii has been heavily supported by many publishers, particularly the kind that aren't going to jump ship day 1 to the latest and greatest platform (The shovelware producers). So I would think at the very least it has enjoyed a halfway decent attach rate.

But that's besides the point, attach rate simply can't reveal that software sales are in decline like he was suggesting. It's a metric that measures how many games, on average, that a console buyer has bought. It can't tell you that in 2012, Wii software sales are so low that even shovelware publishers are jumping ship. Yet that's exactly what he was suggesting. At the most, a comparison could show that Xbox 360 and/or Playstation 3 owners have started to buy more games than the competition if you were to compare the current statistics with those from the past.

But that statistic alone can't ever tell you that Wii sales are in decline. It's simply total lifetime software sales divided by total console sales. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edit- And quickly searching for console attach rates 2011 in Google brought up an informative post from another message board from last May that suggests otherwise.

"695.37 million [Wii] games life to date divided by 86 million [Wii] systems sold is an attach rate of 8.6 games per [Wii] system.

XBOX 360 - MS is a little coy in their lifetime sales - they release lifetime systems and report an attach rate of 8.9 games - for the NPD - the US market! Lets remember the US is their stongest market, and their worldwide attach rate is lower - in fact, very likely lower than Wii! But even assuming that higher number for worldwide, that equates to 477 million game sold - just 68% of what Wii sold - ouch. And it has been on the market a year longer.....

PS3 Had sold 315 million games as of June 30th, 2010. They have sold about 50 million consoles as of today, so lets take 13 million of of that to give a solid estimate of their 2010 life to date hardware sales. That an attach rate of 8.2, but remember, it is a blu ray player after all..."

At the very least, the Wii is clearly competitive in regards to this particular statistic.

Anyways, this is pretty much pointless. I think there is consensus that releases of interest to the average DP user are virtually done. That the Wii may or may not see a few more years of shovelware releases is all but meaningless.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-29-2015 at 02:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

I think a good point has been raised that shovelware producers are really the last to go when it comes to game development. Oh, I miss the old days when the last games were actually some pretty decent stuff (Can't argue with the NES finishing up with Jungle Book and Wario's Woods and the Saturn had about 4-5 games that some consider the best in the console's history and Dreamcast had arguably the best hockey game of the time with NHL 2K2).

I've been following the 3DS obsessively. It's really dependent on your definition of shovelware, of course, but the shovelware "glut" really hasn't seem to get going until recently...it seems the regulars (i.e. Maximum Family, Storm City, Giant Media Group and of course the "life simulators" from THQ and others) are going to hit the 3DS scene hard in the next few months. Red Wagon Games and D3 have put a couple things out there, but true shovelware hasn't really infected the 3DS library until now. It's a tad sobering - I didn't really want to see the 3DS library go the same was as the DS's did... Anyway, my point is, it does take a year or two for these publishers to transition from one console to the next. For example, I highly doubt Maximum Family is prepping stuff for Wii U's launch...
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If consumers were buying too few games you'd of seen its effects much earlier. The Wii has been heavily supported by many publishers, particularly the kind that aren't going to jump ship day 1 to the latest and greatest platform (The shovelware producers). So I would think at the very least it has enjoyed a halfway decent attach rate.

But that's besides the point, attach rate simply can't reveal that software sales are in decline like he was suggesting. It's a metric that measures how many games, on average, that a console buyer has bought. It can't tell you that in 2012, Wii software sales are so low that even shovelware publishers are jumping ship. Yet that's exactly what he was suggesting. At the most, a comparison could show that Xbox 360 and/or Playstation 3 owners have started to buy more games than the competition.

But the statistic can't ever tell you that Wii sales are in decline.

Edit- And quickly searching for console attach rates 2011 in Google brought up an informative post from another message board from last May that suggests otherwise.

"695.37 million [Wii] games life to date divided by 86 million [Wii] systems sold is an attach rate of 8.6 games per [Wii] system.

XBOX 360 - MS is a little coy in their lifetime sales - they release lifetime systems and report an attach rate of 8.9 games - for the NPD - the US market! Lets remember the US is their stongest market, and their worldwide attach rate is lower - in fact, very likely lower than Wii! But even assuming that higher number for worldwide, that equates to 477 million game sold - just 68% of what Wii sold - ouch. And it has been on the market a year longer.....

PS3 Had sold 315 million games as of June 30th, 2010. They have sold about 50 million consoles as of today, so lets take 13 million of of that to give a solid estimate of their 2010 life to date hardware sales. That an attach rate of 8.2, but remember, it is a blu ray player after all..."

At the very least, the Wii is clearly competitive in regards to this particular statistic.

Anyways, this is pretty much pointless. I think there is consensus that releases of interest to the average DP user are virtually done. That the Wii may or may not see a few more years of shovelware releases is all but meaningless.
    Actually, I collect the shovel ware on the Wii and it has slowed to almost nothing over the past year. Like I said, you can argue all you want about what publishers will or won't do, but it is very clear to me as a collector that they have already decided there isn't much of a Wii software market left. Heck, just walk into Best Buy or check Amazon for the past 90 days of releases and you'll see nothing has come out including during the all important holiday season. Nintendo will still sell millions of games like Mario Party 9 which just came out and I'm sure the Xseed and Gamestop published JRPGs will do ok with their niche markets, but beyond a few more releases between now and WiiU, the era of sustained software support for the Wii is largely over. I would also argue that many of the Wii console sales in the past few years have been replacement units or second units (that's also the case for the Xbox 360 and PS3 by the way) and those buyers already have access to the games and while they may be buying the Nintendo first party budget re-release games, they sure aren't going to be buying shovel ware or even most third party stuff. Only time will tell, but just having a large install base means very little if that base isn't willing to buy your products.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DOAsaturn View Post
    In actuality, the Wii's existence is what kept the PS2 viable in stores until now. Most of the games still trickling out for the PS2 were Wii ports (and a few PSP ports). The Wii doesn't have that advantage now.
    You've got that backwards. Most of the games that are on both the PS2 and the Wii were originally PS2 games. The only one that I can think of that was on the Wii first and a much better game on the Wii as well, is Silent Hill Shattered Memories. Tenkaichi 2, Tenkaichi 3, Driver Parallel Lines, Scarface, Baroque(US version has the same release date, but it was PS2 first in Japan,) Dokapon Kingdom(PS2 released first in Japan,) and many I'm sure.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You've got that backwards. Most of the games that are on both the PS2 and the Wii were originally PS2 games. The only one that I can think of that was on the Wii first and a much better game on the Wii as well, is Silent Hill Shattered Memories. Tenkaichi 2, Tenkaichi 3, Driver Parallel Lines, Scarface, Baroque(US version has the same release date, but it was PS2 first in Japan,) Dokapon Kingdom(PS2 released first in Japan,) and many I'm sure.
    Yeah, it's a shame that game companies thought we'd be fine with dumbed-down PS2 games with waggle. Many ports actually look worse than the PS2 versions. It's like every gaming company was looking on internet forums, saw how Wii fans were talking about how "graphics don't matter", and took the smart-ass approach to that viewpoint by making games look worse than they do on much weaker consoles. It's actually insulting to Wii owners.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    If I recall there were quite a few "shovelware"-level games in the past 2-3 years that were released on both the Wii and PS2 at the same time. My guess is that these wouldn't have even been bothered with had it only been the PS2. I'm talking Dora the Explorer: Dora's Big Birthday Adventure, Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest (which came out way after the Wii version), Scooby-Doo! and the Spooky Swamp, Despicable Me: The Game, Jurassic: The Hunted, Marvel Super Hero Squad, Secret Saturdays: Beasts of the 5th Sun and I can probably name a few others... Yes, some of these were released at the same time for Wii and PS2 but my argument is whether they were a PS2 port or a Wii port is that since they could release a last-gen game or last-gen version of a game on a current-gen platform (Wii) then they might as well release it on the PS2. Some of these PS2 games may not have existed if it wasn't because they had the validity of a Wii release to go along with it. If you notice, VERY few games in the PS2's catalog from 2009-2012 were not on the Wii as well.

So yes, even if these games were programmed first for PS2 and then ported over to Wii during development (yet both released on the same day), I'm arguing that the only reason these last-gen games were existing at all was because the Wii was very viable for new game releases at the time. These may have been afterthoughts if the Wii didn't exist or was as powerful as the 360/PS3. I really couldn't see all these companies going out of their way to release these to the PS2 only...
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's quite obvious that the PS2 is never going to get anything now days that isn't already going to be on another console. It's been what. Five, almost six years since the last of the next gen consoles have came out? But the PS2 still had a valued place in the marketplace back in 2008, over a year after the PS3 and Wii were released, which later the same games that were released in that time on the PS2 were then ported over to the Wii. What I'm getting at is even if these titles wouldn't release on the PS2 otherwise, they're multiconsole titles and not ports.

The Wii right now isn't like the PS2 was. It's still the current gen and there are almost no games coming out. At this same time in the consoles life, prior to the next console coming out and even after the next console came out, the PS2 was still receiving big budget titles. God of War isn't very good in my opinion, no idea why people like it so much, but God of War 2 was released in 2007. Although one thing I think is that God of War 2 should have had development pushed over to the PS3 instead. The PS3 had hardly anything worthwhile for quite awhile and God of War 2 could have been a system seller since the 360 didn't have much either.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstar Hero View Post

Again look at Xenoblade Chronicles (Nintendo IP) The Last Story,Pandoras Tower. Dragon Quest X,Rhodea Sky Soldier,Fatal Frame 2 . So quite a few big releases left.

If you want other great ones we westerners never got check out Earth Seeker,Captain Rainbow (Nintendo IP) and Zangeki Reginleiv,Fatal Frame 4.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Aside from those I just mentioned. Epic Mickey 2 is coming to Wii. So looks like for a while big name games are coming to Wii

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't heard anything about that game in months. Have you read something recent about it?