Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Will Wii games still be produced after the Wii U is released?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope so. I really want to play Rodea the Sky Soldier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

I don't think Wii U will cost more than $299.99 and yes Wii games will continue to be made/sold after the Wii U is released. No developer is going to ignore a ~100m Wii userbase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

If I was a Wii collector or considering getting into Wii collecting, I'd definitely focus on the good stuff (Xenoblade, Last Story, any other JRPGs or RPGS, etc) coming out this year. The Wii is one of the consoles that everyone is sleeping on now, huge user base or not. I'm willing to bet the last major releases for it will cost a pretty premium a couple years or so from now...Kinda reminds me of the Sega Saturn...not many systems die off with that many good titles in their final year(s). The Wii might actually pack a few more punches...
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DOAsaturn View Post
    If I was a Wii collector or considering getting into Wii collecting, I'd definitely focus on the good stuff (Xenoblade, Last Story, any other JRPGs or RPGS, etc) coming out this year. The Wii is one of the consoles that everyone is sleeping on now, huge user base or not. I'm willing to bet the last major releases for it will cost a pretty premium a couple years or so from now...Kinda reminds me of the Sega Saturn...not many systems die off with that many good titles in their final year(s). The Wii might actually pack a few more punches...
    I don't own a Wii and even I would consider buying Xenoblade before it's gone. I have a feeling it will have a short print run. I picked up Sin & Punishment for $5 at Fry's a couple of months ago; I bet that game increases in value within 5 years.

I'll eventually buy a Wii on the cheap, when what's left of the good software isn't that expensive either.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wii is not officially dead, but it's getting there. Here's the upcoming Wii releases.

The Croods: Prehistoric Party! March 19, 2013
    B-Units: Build It! 2013 Q1
    Pandora's Tower Spring 2012

A while back in the thread I was being a little too optimistic about the Wii's longevity. It appears the developers have abandoned ship and are heading for the WiiU. Though, I do expect a few more Wii titles to be announced this year.

Worth noting, they are also re-releasing some old games packaged with movies:

Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters [Movie Combo Pack] January 2013
    Happy Feet Two [Movie Combo Pack] January 2013
    LEGO Batman: The Videogame [Movie Combo Pack] January 2013
    LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 [Movie Combo Pack] January 2013
    Last edited by Orion Pimpdaddy; 01-18-2013 at 06:35 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story appeared to be the last "big" games for the Wii in North America. However, Pandora's Tower is coming out this Spring, and is definitely the only thing notable coming out for it this year. Nintendo has a habit of rapidly killing off their systems, I'd be surprised if Wiis were still being made this time 2014.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think it's 100% that we won't have any further releases of note. We didn't even know about Pandora's Tower until a few days ago so I certainly don't see how anyone could say that with any certainty (Even if the chances are excellent that such a guess will end up correct). But if that could happen, I don't see why something else worthwhile also couldn't come out.

I could see the New Play Control release of Chibi Robo finally making it out like Pikmin 2 did last year (Not a major release, but still a nice game that many overlooked on the GCN), maybe a release in line with last year's Kirby collection for another Nintendo franchise, and maybe even one or both of the Fatal Frame games could finally be picked up and released. The Fatal Frame 2 remake in particular came out in Europe, reviewed very well, and is already translated for something Nintendo could cheaply bring stateside.

A strong holiday season for the Wii, excellent Wii U backwards compatibility, a new console redesign for 2013, and the apparent success of Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story (And hopefully Pikmin 2 was considered a success) certainly won't be doing the chances of something else of value any harm. While they have obvious candidates for several more waves of Nintendo Selects rereleases to appease existing owner's and the many just picking up the console now, they might still want something new on the shelves.

I'm hoping the FF2 remake gets the call (Sadly I don't see Fatal Frame 4 standing much of a chance due to the need to translate it unless they let a company like XSEED license it.. but that would certainly classify as a noteworthy release if it happens).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-29-2015 at 02:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure theres enough shovelware lined up to keep the Wii in business for another year or so.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I could see the New Play Control release of Chibi Robo finally making it out like Pikmin 2 did last year (Not a major release, but still a nice game that many overlooked on the GCN)
    I'm not sure how overlooked it could have been on the Gamecube when it became a Player's Choice title, that doesn't happen unless a title sold well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It couldn't of done too well or I imagine we'd of gotten the Wii rerelease several year's ago (Edit - If it saw a Player's Choice rerelease, it sure seems to have been a well kept secret).

Our only chance now is if Nintendo wants a solid release in a largely empty release schedule that they will reconsider bringing it over now when it won't have as much competition for people's attention. Or perhaps they're considering a revival of the franchise and might see it as a chance to get the franchise some attention in the prelude to that. I think both factor's are what saw Pikmin 2 finally see release last year.

And I imagine Japan was largely responsible for it reaching Player's Choice status. It seems to have been best received there with them getting the Wii rerelease and I think at least one game that never made it out over here on the DS.

Plus, the day's of a game requiring a million sale's was long past for the program at that point. It was 250,000 units early in the GameCube's life to qualify and probably even lower towards the end. And if it was anything like Sony's Greatest Hits line, the criteria was all but thrown out by late in that generation.

Anyways, here's hoping we get a few more surprises this year.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-29-2015 at 02:54 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Just saw another release on the schedule. Disney Infinity is coming out in June for every system, including Wii. It's basically Skylanders with Disney characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Infinity

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Interestingly, the Wii seems to have lasted at least as long as the Wii U in terms of production and game releases, Just Dance holding it on by a thread in its last years. Despite the fact that the Wii's third party support largely dried up in the early 2010s, a trickle of games came out long enough that the Wii got games for among the longest periods of time after a successor came out and is one of the few consoles to outlast a successor.

Apparently, the Wii's production was discontinued in 2013, but the Wii Mini came out that year and was made until 2017. It must have been trickling off of the production line, but they were making them. That means that the Wii's official life was 2006-2017,
    https://www.lifewire.com/slow-painfu...do-wii-2498653
    https://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ii-failed.aspx

Wii's successor (Wii U) launch -> last Wii game = 2012/11/18 to 2019/11/05 - 6.97 years (2,543 days)
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

it wouldnt surprise me if they kept making those Just Dance games on the Wii. as long as people are buying them Im sure theyll keep pumping them out

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Ubi said Just Dance 2020 is the last one. So that is out official last Wii game.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryudo For This Useful Post:

gbpxl (12-25-2019)